Hmmmm, very confused!

KezzaBezza25

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read a lot of posts and articles on the 9986 so today i've ordered one from JL for 1928, so well chuffed.

What I'm failing to get my head around is what I have to purchase to be up and running when my screen arrives on Friday. I have a Sony DAV-SC8, Sky box and PS2. I could obviously use the scart on all three but I get the impression that this is not the best way, if not what is and what do I have to purchase.

My main point of confusion is this talk of using a component to DVI connection. I didn't think that DVI carried sound.

Anyway, some clarification around this would be greatly appreciated.

if your dvd player has component outputs then using a componet lead u can plug this lead into your dvd player and the other end plugs into a component adapter (supplied with the tv), this then plugs into the tv's dvi socket.
neither component or dvi carries sound so u'll need an audio lead (red and white jack plugs) from your dvd player to the tv.
this produces an excellent picture.
rgb scart to rgb scart also produces a good picture.
alternativley u can buy dvi dvd players for 100.00 (ish), the samsung hd745 comes to mind and u only need a dvi cable then, however u will also need the audio cable.

Top man Chris, that makes sense. :cool:

One more thing, what's the difference between your bog standard scart and an RGB scart. Although I'm new to this I want to make sure I'm getting the best from my LCD - love my films!

KezzaBezza25 said:
Top man Chris, that makes sense. :cool:

One more thing, what's the difference between your bog standard scart and an RGB scart. Although I'm new to this I want to make sure I'm getting the best from my LCD - love my films!
There are some scarts which are only partially wired. Some only carry composite signals. Look for a 'fully wired' scart. Most of the upmarket ones are fully wired.

You don't need hugely expensive scarts by the way. www.tvcables.co.uk do excellent fully wired, gold terminal, metal bodied scarts for £5.99. Get a handful and enjoy! (pardon!)

Jimmy

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom