1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmmm ... great blag possibly?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PhilipH, Sep 27, 2004.

1. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, after a week of behaving perfectly my 32" Samsung started powering itself down randomly or not powering up at all (this started last Monday).

After a week of Currys trying to fob me off with "Your warranty is with Samsung, not with us" I went steaming in there on Saturday to get it sorted out ... the upshot being that Samsung have simply written off the set and are sending me a voucher for a replacement set from Currys.

As Samsung are not sending me out a set directly then they aren't going to uplift the "old" one and (although the chav sales assistant in Currys tried to blag the old one for himself) since Currys aren't delivering the new one (I'm collecting it) then I'm left with a two week old 32" LCD that generally works OK but sometimes doesn't power up that I have been told to "put a hammer through". Hopefully that will be an easy enough repair. ;-)

Phil

2. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Could you not get a quote to get it fixed?

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    yes, but get it from someone else, not currys :)

4. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the Samsung is only two weeks old so it's not only within warranty but it's within "I want a replacement / refund - not a repair" territory. However if I'm being left with the faulty one I shall certainly be looking into getting it repaired too.

I'm assuming that this is the start of the WEEE directives kicking in whereby Samsung would have to pay for the responsible recycling and disposal of the unit if it were returned whereas as an end user I can just smash it up and stick it in a bin.

5. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately it seems that that particular model is a Currys only product so I'm a bit stuck with them for that.

However I did briefly consider taking the faulty one back to Basingstoke (the replacement has been arranged through Samsung and has nothing to do with Currys at all) and get them to cancel my agreement with them.

(However that would be dishonest so I'm just going to try for "Two for the price of one" :D )

Phil