1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmmm Epson TW10H connections difference

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by noel-pilot, Jan 25, 2005.

1. noel-pilot

noel-pilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hey all,
    well after much help and advice from here I took the plunge and bought my TW10H. Its been setup for five days now and on about 19hours!! very happy with it, my viewing position is a little too close so chicken wire (the little fotty bits and lines I guess thats chicken wire are apparent) but its more than liveable for the few months I'm in this house.

Anyway. I have an Xbox connected using component, my PS2 and Tivo connected using Composite and a pc connected using using VGA.

Now playing The Getaway on PS2 last night was shocking, graphics seemed absolutely cack. First question...is this because the PS2 is cack at graphics compared to Xbox (what i'm used to) or is this a composite cable being pants problem?

Connected the pc up last night for the first time, set it to 1024 x 768 the PJ's max resolution I believe and threw on some Half life 2 and Doom 3. The quality was AWESOME! absolutely fantastic better than anything we have seen over the last few days.

So is this because VGA lots better than Composite?

Does having an input signal at the same resolution as the PJ help a lot??!! I am learning fast about these but much is left to learn.

Sorry for the long post but advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Noel

2. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    1.)Yes it's the composite lead
    2.)Yes it is.
    3.)Yes it does the Epsons native res is 852:480 and when you set your desktop to that it allows 1:1 pixel maping which improves image quailty because you then dont have to scale/up or down on the image.

3. noel-pilot

noel-pilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hmmm ok so tonight I had my xbox connected up and I checked the resolution and it said 680. What does this mean? being a chipped xbox can I crank this up higher?

Thanks

p.s. off to ebay to find an advanced connections pack for the PS2 so I can use either S video or Component!!

4. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Probably 680x480 which is a 4:3 res, No idea about the X-box I dont use or have one so I dont know if you can?

5. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You need to buy the Microsoft HD AV pack, set your Xbox to NTSC and 720P (720 lines, progressive) and you will get a stunningly good picture like I have! Not all games support this resolution though.

6. noel-pilot

noel-pilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    aaah Thank you so much Mike, just been searching all over online and couldn't figure out how to change my xbox up whilst in pal! didnt think of changing to ntsc! will be right back!!! Cheers

7. noel-pilot

noel-pilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hmmm that was a little hasty of me! So how do you change the Xbox from Pal to NTSC? I assumed it would be in the Video settings of the MS Dashboard but the only thing I can change is from Pal 60 to Pal 50?!? Thanks

8. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    i think you can only achieve this with certain x-box games

9. noel-pilot

noel-pilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    have downloaded overnight something called Enigmah which supposedly will let me change the region to NTSC.
    I think i'm right in thinking that this will only keep the higher resolution for games, is there any way to increase the resolution for movie watching?

After the last few days I'm guessing then that the best possible picture for DVD watching is through a Pc?

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    I also have an Epson TW-10H set up with an Xbox (using the Microsoft Hi Def Pack) and a PS2 (using Component).

The things you need to output hi def on a Pal X-Box are:

- A chip installed that let's you run non M$ Certified software - which you have.
    - Enigmah Video Selector installed (allows you to swap from PAL to NTSC to fool the X-Box into thinking it's a US or Japanese one)
    - Then you must go into display settings in M$ Dash and select 480p, 720p & 1080i.
    - You must then have your X-Box connected via the Hi Def Pack (you can get these from here ). A standard Component lead will not do. The Hi Def pack obviously wasn't released in the UK as stock UK X-Boxes can not output Hi Def until modded.
    - Then when you play a game with 480p (most of them), 720p (only a few of them) or 1080i (just 1 or 2) output, you will recieve the image in that resolution. :clap:

11. noel-pilot

noel-pilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have an advanced connections pack I got from Game, lets me output using either component, s video or composite and gives me a digital audio out.
    Will that not do to get the higher resolutions out??!! Doh!

Any tips on improving the movie watching?

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    Sorry no - you'll need the Hi Def pack that I linked to in my previous post. There's a very long Hi Def on XBox thread on this forum that has all the answers but what I wrote above is basically what you need to get & do.

Movies are great on mine - I fiddle with the settings - brightness/contrast/tint/saturation etc etc until I get a picture I like and as long as you're sat far enough away (to eliminate or at least reduce screen door) you should get a great picture. I always use Theatre Black setting as well as I find this gives the most natural picture. You do need a nice dark room though with this setting. Other than that run your movies through a decent DVD player or HTPC. I just run them through my X-Box at the moment but the picture is good enough for me.