• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

hmm

mikeyparkster

Standard Member
what does it possibly suggest if suddenly your browsing a forum

and then the next second your pc restarts going to the processor screen then loads up normally

no blue screen, no reset buttons, no restart

weakness in hardware?
i have a brand new pc ...it's done this 3 times in total, but not often.
dont think it was a power cut as my t.v./lights didnt turn off

D

Deleted member 39001

I would press the restart button whilst your PC is running windows, you can then see if it goes into the CPU screen and reboots the same when your problem occurs, as some systems will do this when forced to reboot.
What make PC is it?

mikeyparkster

Standard Member
i built it myself

it's effectively the same as restarting my pc

no different screens...

abit kl9 sli mobo
7900gt
sata hd
corsair 2gb ram
amd64 2.4ghz 3800
antec sonata 2 with smartpower2 450w psu

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Sounds like you have "Automatically restart" checked in system properties dialog. Uncheck it and see where that gets ya.

mikeyparkster said:
i built it myself

it's effectively the same as restarting my pc

no different screens...

abit kl9 sli mobo
7900gt
sata hd
corsair 2gb ram
amd64 2.4ghz 3800
antec sonata 2 with smartpower2 450w psu

Could it be the PSU thats an awfully weak PSU mate for the kind of high end system you are running.

Imo min PSU you should have is at least a 550W which is what I have. It could be the reason.

mikeyparkster

Standard Member
hmmm

i am told by people that my psu is decent, and will be fine with my system

i dont know who to believe :(

and btw when you say automatically restart do you mean the checkbox in this place

control panel, system, startup and recovery, settings, automatically restart if there is a system failure?

lightbulb

Established Member
mikeyparkster said:
hmmm

and btw when you say automatically restart do you mean the checkbox in this place

control panel, system, startup and recovery, settings, automatically restart if there is a system failure?

That is indeed the one he means :)
Next time the computer has the problem that was causing it to reboot, unchecking the box should stop the PC and show a blue screen with an error code.

Once you find out the error code, write it down, google it up or post it here and we might be able to help you with it :thumbsup:

mjn

Distinguished Member
I would say your PSU is ok wattage wise, but it could be pretty low on the amps side.

I would make sure that the heatsink and fan on the CPU is fitted correctly, and that the thermal paste is good. Sounds like it may be overheating, which causes a reboot.

Epicurus

Prominent Member
Your PSU should be fine, sounds like overheating to me. A good test is to take the cover off and leave it off for a while and use the PC with it off, if you dont get a restart you know what your problem is.

mikeyparkster

Standard Member
thing is i am monitoring my cpu and other hardware temperatures, and its at 28 degree celcius

if temperatures go up i would be warned about it by my mobo beeping

so i dont believe it is a heat issue.

i'll note the blue screen thing incase it happens again

http://uk.shopping.com/xPF-Antec_ANTEC_SP450PGB_SMARTPOWER_2_0_450WATT_ATX12V_v2_0_PSU

i think thats my psu - description wise anyway it seems to match
does that give you enough info on amps to indicate whether the amps is good enough?

new high-power video cards the recommended minimum for +12V is 26A, for SLI 35A.

?

mikeyparkster

Standard Member
0x00000008E

0xC00000005

0x8053CPC0

0x8CZ95CF0

0x00000000

Ok so i had another blue screen when i tried to launch a game application
with mentioned hex above

since then i have just burned and ran

the windows memory test AND Memtest86.iso
Neither of which have detected Errors....

Yet the hex blue screen code suggests Ram and Processors errors?
The memory test is supposed to detect mobo, processor and Ram i think...so i really don't know what the problem is

will keep eye out for further errors :/

D

Deleted member 39001

You could try reassembling your rig, re-seat the memory, CPU, cards etc and make sure there's no dust or bits of fluff etc in the slots. How long ago did you build it?
Also what heatsink and fan is your CPU using?
Does it only happen when browsing the web?
Are you overclocking anything?

Epicurus

Prominent Member
My original reply was based on your post stating no error messages or blue screens.

If you are getting blue screens then it is most likely a hardware problem, would be a good idea to take everything out of the motherboard then put it all back in again, following the previous poster's advice of removing dust etc.

mikeyparkster

Standard Member
i built it about 3 weeks ago
dont think there is dust on it

i can only try making sure the ram and is seated properly i guess..

im using the Heatskink and processor fan that came with the AMD processors, it's noisy as hell

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom