1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hmm which sub?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by gover_1, May 26, 2004.

1. gover_1

gover_1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi, im looking for a good sub ( probably bying second hand) that is fairly small, and that goes down as close to 20hz as possible, i am also looking for a sub that will sit inbetween a preamp and poweramp, i know the boston acoustics pv1000 can do this (naroly missed out on one of these on ebay this weekend bummer), my poweramp (a quad 306) seems to trip out when producing punchy base loud, so am trying to take the strain off it, this may be a problem with the poweramp not having warmed up properly, am experimenting with this as i type, any ideas? so far ive come across the mjacoustics reference 100 , but dont know if this can be connected between the preamp and poweramp, cheers, mark

p.s my system: nad t550 dvd
    nad c542 cd
    quad 34 preamp
    quad 306 power amp
    kef refrence 104 ab speakers

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Hi

Just for clarity: You need a small 20Hz active subwoofer with Left and Right channel low level phono Input sockets AND Left and Right phono Output sockets?

You will use the subwoofer as a stereo (variable frequency) crossover betwen the pre & power amplifiers.

Anybody?

Nimby

3. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Well ive just bought a Velodyne SPL 1000 mkII and that seems to meet all your requirements. Its small (just over a foot squared), goes to 24hz (a more realistic measurement than mj acoustics give on their subs) and it has stereo inputs and outputs (80hz upwards).

Ive only had mine a day but in the limited setting up I have done it seems to do a very good job with music. I had a Velodyne CHT-10 before hand and with music it needed to be run very low to not become obtrusive, with the SPL I can run it higher and it really adds to the music.

You dont give an idea of price though? The SPL 1000mkII retails new at £900, I was lucky enough top pick mine up on these forums for £600 second hand (well, a week old!).

4. gover_1

gover_1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    not reallly sure what price yet, im still doing initial reaserch, although 600 would be at the top end of my budget

5. gover_1

gover_1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    anyone know what the vibe alpha one is like?