Hmm.. should this system really struggle??

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by DemonNeno, Feb 11, 2009.

1. DemonNeno

DemonNeno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I game all the time with my current setup at 1680x1050 with ease, however I seem to have a problem streaming this through my PS3 at 1080p?

5000+ BE X2 @ 3.0GHz
    4GB Low Lat. Corsair XMS
    9600GT OC'd @ 710/995
    Vista 64

I've only tried running one WMV so far, Transformers 1080p conversion. I'm dedicating a separate HD to strictly Blu-Ray movies and DVDs so I can stream them on-demand. Any input? I can't imagine this CPU is bottle necking the system this bad? I've tried enabling "Enhanced Multcore Support for H264HD Content", tried turning down the res to 720p, tried "0", 15mb and 30mb for max bandwidth...

I read someone else was running a 5000+ without any issues... Anyone else have some reliable experiences/feedback with this rig? TIA!

2. Gadgetcity

Gadgetcity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Firstly, you don't say how the PS3 is connected, 1 Gbps, 100Mbps or wireless.
    Second, you don't say what streamer you are using. From the settings you mention it appears to be PS3 Media Server.

You also don't explain what the actual problem is. Does it stream at all? Does the PC play the WMV OK? Does it skip? Have you checked CPU usage whilst streaming? - Occasionally a rogue process causes short "blips" in CPU usage which is very damaging to realtime programs such as video streamers.

One thing to try is TVersity. Disable the transcode option. Note: you will need a wired connection for any HD streaming to be reliable.

3. Axum

Axum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +805
    Concur with all the above, but i'd just stick to mkv's and transcode using mkv2vob then stream, at least you'll know you're getting the best results possible.

4. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Indeed can't see the point in trying to stream HD video transcoded with quality settings reduced :confused: may as well just stream SD by the time you've got it down to a satisfactory stutter free level.

Also i believe if you specifiy a reduction from 1080p to 720p doesn't this force a transcode anyway?

as Axum said transcode with MKV2VOB first and stream in a native format.

Also WMV's are far from the best format for HD video.

5. DemonNeno

DemonNeno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, sorry about that. I kinda rushed my post..

- I'm using PS3MC & connecting wireless via Rosewill RNX-N4PS 300GB Router
    - PC is wired to router (using oboard Marvell 10/100/1000 controller)
    - Broadband 6mbps via AT&T and generally connects 5mbps+ on speed/packet tests

I've tried streaming 1080P and tried 780P to see if it'd make much of a difference. It does play the WMV format fine, but it seems to skip at certain points of the playback... On both resolutions. Plays fine via PC.

None of the current media programs allow buffering of any sort, do they? I'm new to this whole deal, so please pardon my stupidity.. :lesson:

6. Gadgetcity

Gadgetcity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    You would be very lucky to get decent HD playback over such a poor link. It really needs to be wired. The wireless is normally fine for SD material though.

The PS3 DOES buffer, the bigger the buffer, the longer it can go without stuttering, but if you wanted stutter free then you would have to buffer up loads. A random example could be 20 minutes worth of a 2 hour movie should do it - BUT it would take longer than 20 minutes to buffer that 20 minutes worth of movie.
    Press play - wait 25 minutes - watch movie.
    Doesn't really work does it.

Buffering is simply a way of smoothing out 'short term' variations in both available bandwidth and the data rate of the movie. A few seconds of action can double the data rate - but the buffer smooths this out.

If the average bandwidth required is greater than the available bandwidth then you will run out of data at some point.

I would bet that you wireless router would struggle to maintain 15Mbps throughput and that would be if you had no other traffic.

My 1080 stuff runs anywhere from 8 to 40 Mbps for video, and then you have audio and there is also a large overhead in getting the data to the PS3.

Before you mention 300Mbps - the PS3 will stop at 54Mbps, and that is the native link capability - not what you can actually transfer on a continuous basis.

I hope that makes things a little clearer. The good news is that your PC is plenty fast. Just plug the PS3 into the router with a wire and see how you get on. 1000Mbps should be plenty!

Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  7. DemonNeno

DemonNeno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome, that sounds good enough to clear things up for me! :smashin: thanks for all the advice and info!