Hmm...have I got confused?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Davej50, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Davej50

Davej50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On Friday I ordered a PW7, Panny E55 DVD Recorder, JS RGB -> VGA, and JS scart switch box from AV-Sales. My intention was to use a component connection from the DVD to the PW7, and to use the JS converter/scart switch box with Sky+ and PS2. But after thinking about this, could I not just run the Sky+ through the DVD player and use the component connection to the plasma thus getting an even better picture? Or have I missed something crucial here?

In other words, which is better, Sky+ and PS2 using the component connection from the DVD player, or using the VGA connection?

Cheers!
    Dave.

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The set up you've gone for is the most flexible, I would think. Running through the E55 means that you got to have it on all the time, and limits the things that you can do with the DVD whilst using it as your normal viewing source. E.g. you couldn't record one channel on the E55 whilst watching another channel/source at the same time.

3. Davej50

Davej50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, and how about the picture quality...is it gonna be better going through the E55 with component output, or will it be better going through the JS converter and VGA output?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Better with the JS converter. The E55 can look a little dull on a PW6, obviously can't vouch for any changes on the 7 series. This I mean is using it as a component converter, not with DVD.

5. moku

moku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Davej50,

If you want to save money then you can certainly connect the Sky+ through the DMR-E55 and then component out from E55 to plasma. This means that all signal output from E55 to plasma will be Component (YUV) which will be excellent quality.

I have personally gone for the route above and its all fab. However, in my case I opted for the DMR-E85 which has a built-in hard drive which make things more flexible in term of recordings.

The only drawback to the above is that the DMR-E55 will always have to be on cos it will be acting as a switching unit. This in my opinion is a minor inconvenience to put up with as compared to the extra cost of the rgb/scart converter, switching unit, scart cables etc.

Moku.

6. Davej50

Davej50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I was wondering. I've no problem with the DVD player being on all the time so maybe I'm wasting my money getting the converter / VGA cable etc. Think I may cancel those parts of the order then. I'm not bothered about getting the E85 as I've got the hard drive on Sky+, the only reason I want a recorder is so that the missus can burn the programs she wants to keep and stop clogging up the Sky+ hard drive. Could this introduce a bit of snych problems in the sound or picture as it will be going through another device?

So the picture through the dvd (component) will be just as good as the VGA then? Or as MAW says it may be a little soft?

Oh, and how will my PS2 be connected as I won't be able to run that through the DVD player aswell will I? I guess this question will have to be the deciding factor...

Why does everything have to be so difficult... :zonked:

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You can daisy chain the PS2, what I said was that I have found the picture to be a bit dark when used like this, but no harm at all in trying it, it could be fine.

8. Davej50

Davej50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So as for daisy chaining the PS2, how would I be able to do this? Sky+ has no inputs as far as I can see (I'm guessing I'll use the VCR scart as the connectiong between Sky+ and the E55, as for the TV scart I suppose that's only an output isn't it?) and I'm guessing the DVD recorder will only have the one input which the Sky+ will be using. So where would the PS2 fit in?

Aaargh! :suicide: If I'm gonna cancel the order on the converter and VGA cable I need to do it first thing tomorrow and I really don't know what to do for the best! I could put that £250 towards a new receiver...

9. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you want to connect two devices into the DVD player just buy a JS Labs Scart Master Controller. So

Sky + ---> Master Scart Controller
    PS" -----> Master Scart Controller

Master Scart Controller ----> DVD Player

DVD ----> Plasma (via component).

See: Scart Master Controller

This should work. Personally as MAW has said I would have thought the JS Labs Convertor would give a better picture (can you get it on sale or return) but the choice is yours. Don't forget to buy an extra scart lead.

Try; TV Cables

10. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    every time you convert a signal, picture quality gets worse
    (apart from the JS box, that is not converting but sync stripping)

now how hard is that to understand.

11. moku

moku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Davej50,

From my experience and my setup at home I have not noticed any loss in quality of picture as a result of daisy chaining everything through the E85, the component (YUV) out to plasma.

My understanding is that all RGB signal is fed through to the E85 which in turn converts and outputs that signal into YUV and outputs the YUV signal to the plasma. In this way there is no loss in quality. If anything there will improvement in quality since RGB signal has been converted into YUV signal and sent to the plasma.

The above principle works similar to various signal being fed through an AV Amp via component in and then fed out through component out to plasma or tv which has component input. I don't believe the signal quality is affected in any way shape or form.

All said and done I can only comment on my setup at home which delivers excellent quality pictures including sky signal. Maybe you could try daisy-chaining through the E55 and see whether you're happy with the picture quality. If you're not which I very much doubt, then you can consider the scart>rgb converter route and see whether it does make any significant difference.

Re connecting your PS2 I will concur with tony8377's suggestion i.e. Scart Maste Controller or you can connect the PS2 directly to AV1 on the E55 via scart lead and select AV1 on E55 each time you want to play the PS2.

Hope the above helps!

Moku

12. Davej50

Davej50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, that's helped me to make up my mind - will see if I can get the converter on the basis that if I see no improvement in the picture compared with the component connection that I can send it back. Not sure if they'll let me do this but it's worth a try...

13. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,292
    I recently visited the unbeatable.com retail shop in Crawley and looked at a bank of 6 - 7 plasmas on the back wall.

They were all 42" and makes included from Fujitsu, Sony, Panasonic and Hiotachi. They were all showing the same image, the menu screen from the Toy Story DVD.

The Fujitsu looked spot on, the rest ranged from poor to diabolical.

I asked one of the sales assistants whether that was a true representation - "was the Fujitsu really taht much better than the Panasonic".

Eventually he revealed that rather than using a distribution box (as I would have expected) they had simply daisy chained all the sets together using the SCARTs. To me this was a absolute demonstration of how much daisy chaining erodes signal quality - the Panasonic Viera which was only second in line was poor, when I asked him to connect direct to the Panasonic it became as sharp as the Fujitsu had been.

Having seen that I won't be daisy chaining anything.

Cheers,

Nigel

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    With decent scarts there really shouldn't be that much loss. But I'd expect to see a noticeable difference with the VGA converter. And re-read Pj's post, with the E55 you are converting from RGB to YUV. Then the plasma works in the RGB realm, and converts it back to display. I'm certain that is the reason why RGB scart looks better via the JS VGA converter than it does with a JS YUV converter, same designer, same quality of components, something is causing the difference. I doubt that Panasonic's circuitry in the DMR is up to JS's work in his converters, there's a whole heap of other stuff you are paying for in the DVD recorder. Very good other stuff, just at that price something's gotta give. Eventually you could get yourself a component video switching amp and a component kit for the PS2, that works very well. Then you can have the best of all your sources.

15. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,292
    I would have thought the quality of the pass through would be more dependent on the switching circuitry.

For example I have read of one SCART switch (Joytech) which has a design using single rail CMOS components and as a result, impedence isn't matched properly, brightness levels are changed and sync pulses are sometimes lost. By comparison the Quintro+ does the job properly.

I know my examples are for SCART switches but I would have thought it can be equally applicable to pass through circuitry - if its a poor design then you will get a poor result regardless of cable quality.

Cheers,

Nigel