hmm, 300 charge limit on battery with NW-HD3?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by danmusicant, Jun 20, 2005.

1. danmusicant

danmusicant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.....

and for my second post! it's these exciting 2 questions - (sorry!)

1) The 300 charges that the manual reckons the battery on the Sony NW-HD3 can handle - that bothers me a bit.
    Has anyone reached that limit?

Is it a hassle replacing the battery?

Is it viable having a spare one (to take with fully charged on holidays)? To save having to bring wires and plug adaptors!...though come to think of it what the fudge does it go!??

2) DO I HAVE to use Sonic Stage?? I don't like it . Got 3.1 - but it's slow....even just the way it opens - damn - such a drag!! I have Nero 6, WMP 9 and they're much nicer to use for all things musical.

SS makes the song order alpahabetical and that's no good! I'm having to manually rearrange the song order once an album transfer has been completed.

Cheers
    Dan

PS I only got it yesterday......there isn't any more detailed way of seeing how much battery life remains is there?

2. danmusicant

danmusicant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. clivem2

clivem2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect no one wanted to break the news that the battery is not replaceable. It must be possible but it's not as simple as opening a cover and swapping, I assume it's soldered in place. 300 re-charges is actually quite a lot.

4. davisneil

davisneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    most batteries do have a 300 charge figure. but its not written in stone. it depends on how you treat the battery. never discharge a li ion battery right to empty if you can help it. also, youve chosen a good player. a long battery life of 30 hrs means youll be charging it half the amount of times than you would charge a player with 15 hour batt life. i think youll get a couple of years of fairly regular use.

5. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    why is it not good to discharge a lithium ion battery to empty?

6. danmusicant

danmusicant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed in the manual (page 32? i think onwards) is a guide to replacing the battery - it just involves opening the unit and sliding out the battery compartment and disconnecting it (no soldering or tricky business)

I just wonder if it's a battery that's readily available online or in the high
    street.

ALSO -- that switch on the bottom of the HD3 - "Battery power" - should that be switched to "off" whenever the unit's not in use, or running off the mains?
    It's a bit of a pain if that is the case....is that worth doing in the interest of maximising the battery's life?

7. BROUGHCUT

BROUGHCUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know the chemistry behind it but Li-ions (or Lions as I spellchecked them to yesterday...) are meant to be only partially discharged and will in fact be killed by a complete discharge. Also the fact that Li-ion cells have no 'memory effect' to worry about means there's no need to subject the battery to the strain of a long charge cycle (with all the cell-eating heat that generates). If you play it 'flat' and then don't recharge for a period of time, it will continue to self-discharge towards the point of no return and you will have probs. They also have a fixed lifespan as well as a fixed number of recharges, so if you don't cycle it often, it will still only be good for three or four years (losing about 15-20% capacity a year at room temp) .

If it will be unused for a week or more you can maximise the lifespan by storing it at approx 40% charge (by comparison, a li-on cell stored at 40% charge at room temp for one year will only lose about 5-10% of its capacity). As the Liion cells will not degrade quite as quickly at low temps, storing it in the fridge (on the door or where it's not *too* cold), or someplace cool, will help significantly. I think it's relatively inexpensive to replace the NW-HD5 battery so that's probably going over the top in this case.

Some people advocate discharging completely the first time you use, this does nothing for the li-on battery itself but may help calibrate the NWHD-3/5's battery gauge. Best to top it off whenever's convenient and certainly once it gets to around 40-20%, the 30-40hr battery life and the fact that it has a fixed lifespan means you are unlikely to run out of cycles before it dies of old age.

8. davisneil

davisneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    please no one think im getting at particular players, but part of the reason of the ipod battery issue (in that it only purports to last 18 months in some cases) is because:
    1) people can either run the batery through a long charge cycle because they are trying to squeeze all that 12 hours they can get from a single charge
    2) everytime a player plugged into usb it starts charging which wrecks the calibration of the battery, frequent, short charges and discharges. it is not recommended to use usb to charge a hdd player anyway but ok every so often.
    3) a shorter rated battery life means the charging will be more frequant. when i had an ipod mini i was charging it every day. now the hd 5 is charged every 3 days. means that it take longer to carry out 300 charges. (not a dig at ipod)

this of course applies to other players and also the hd5 for some of those points. apple have released a advice guide to getting the most out of an ipod battery. check it out on the apple website.

9. danmusicant

danmusicant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting.

So....when the HD3 is connected to the PC and also connected to the mains - is it then being charged via the USB? (if it's in need of charging)

Also, the manual refers to a "quick" charge to 80% capacity in 1 hour if the USB is disconnected - but it's badly written (translated) and not very clear what they're saying. The manual seems to say that charging off the mains takes 5 hours and 1 hour for an 80% charge! Wierd.

10. davisneil

davisneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    i think what they are getting at is that if you caharge it for 1 hr you get 80% of the max battery life. The rest of the time-4 to 5 hours, just finishes off that 20%. therefore you can do a quick charge when you need to but try to do a full charge as much as poss. the usb charge takes longer i think but i not sure how long

11. danmusicant

danmusicant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ....and whenever the USB cable is connected between PC
    and HD3 - is it being charged via USB even when plugged into the mains ? (just to be clear!)

12. danmusicant

danmusicant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump -{ just interested in any response to my last point there - about charging }

13. scottydog

scottydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesn't appear to be charging when connected to my Sony Vaio. The HD3 displays a message telling me to connect to the mains when its connected by USB. Its not a fast USB connection though.