1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hmm, 1 misfiring pixel..to return or not to return

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Yandros, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    On 2nd new Z2 now (first one had purple dots everywhere). This one seems seems perfect except for 1 errant pixel that shows up pale green but only on paler colours (invisible on white, black, pale grey and mid to dark colours). It's about 2/3 across, 2/3 down at the moment (but we'll be inverting the PJ when finally mounted, so it'll be top corner). It seems to be pretty much invisible from our viewing position, particularly since it's not permanently stuck.

Is the quest for total perfection the way to madness? It it better to stick with the devil you know rather than risk a worse gremlin from yet another swapout?
    Will I forget about it the day I get the first dust blob anyway?
    If I try it sell it in a year or two, will the cry go up "misfiring green pixel!!! Unclean!!"?

2. spondle

spondle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what from Ive read this would be in normal operating parameters??

Who did you purchase from out of interest?

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    tis is always the problem with new machines..... it is within spec so you may have trouble getting a replacement :(

For anyone buying, you cant guarantee against these things, the safest way, believe it or not, is with a 2nd hand machine which already has been run in.

ad

4. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Can't actually name the supplier on this forum. I think there are legal issues or something due to people badmouthing them in the past (or something like that).

They did a dead pixel check on the first unit, but the purple flaws didn't show up on primary colours. This second unit was delivered the day after the problem was reported, so major brownie points to both Sanyos distributer and our dealer. It came direct from the distributer, so hadn't been pixel checked. Again though, a standard primary colour check would not've shown it.

And yes I think it's probably within tolerances, even though I paid for a dead pixel check. It's not dead or stuck, just a little rebellious some of the time.

5. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you paid for a dead pixel check, then that's what you should get, a PJ without pixel problems.

ship it back dude !!!

(you know what it's like, that pixel will play on your mind & you'll always be looking for it), not worth the aggro.

cheers,
    Andy

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thats a tricky one...... they did a dead pixel check..... what you are basically saying is that you want a second dead pixel check.... this is something which you would have to rely on the kindness of the supplier for (especially since you are actually asking for the check plus their additional shipping costs).

ad

7. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm, in fairness though, he did pay for a unit with DPC, irrespective of the replacement for a non-related fault. The replacement unit should therefore be of the same inherent (and paid for) quality, i.e. a pixel checked unit.
    This is a dealer thing though, as the dealer offered this service for a price, therefore he should take on the responsibilities and comebacks of that offer (hence why there is a charge for it).
    Perhaps a fair compromise would be for Yandros to pay for shipping, although I'm surprised the replacement came direct to him from manufacturer rather than via dealer.
    At the end of the day, the contract is with the retailer & I'm sure that any of the guys who advertise on these forums would help out - that's why they're tha good guys !!!

Cheers,
    Andy

8. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Actually I spoke to our dealer this afternoon. They seemed to indicate that they would sort out a replacement if I insisted. To be honest, as I said at the start, after having had one return already, I'm rather hesitant to send an almost perfect one back, and risk some other gremlin, and exhausting the dealers goodwill. Not only that, my girlfriend (who doesn't see what the fuss is about), will probably kill me if I mess around returning it again! :rolleyes:

Hence the indecision!

9. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    depending upon distance, would it be worth you taking a trip yourself to your dealer ? That way you could vet the replacement there, also make things easier for the dealer to boot ?

10. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I was considering something similar - paying a little extra for one of their pixel checked models, rather than the distributors unchecked versions and asking them to make doubly sure that nothing else is wrong.

11. spondle

spondle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if thats not a lot more then I'd do that if I was you.

12. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I've decided to keep it I think. Ken at Ivojo has been incredibly patient and understanding, and will indeed take it back, but the replacement would come from Sanyo again. Then there's always a risk of yet another gremlin with an even higher annoyance factor. Time to stop obsessing about it and get on with watching some more movies methinks.