HMDI - what exactly is this?

T

Tony H

Hello all,

Can someone please explain what exactly this is, what it is for and when you are likely to need it? I have noticed it seems to be one of the "must have" features and as I am looking into some DVD recorders at the moment, I would appreciate an "idiots guide to HMDI"!

Many thanks for your help.

Tony :confused:

High Definition Multimedia Interface.
Basically, it's a digital connection with HDCP (encryption) that Hi-Def uses to connect components to each other.
DVI-HDCP is another variant, but as DVI is video only, you need separate audio connection, whereas HDMI carry audio as well.
In the absence of HDMI, any HD media will be down-converted to analog SD and output over all the usual connections - SCART/VGA (D-Sub)/Component/S-Video AV.
Your DVDR will not be able to record HD - the HDMI is output only.
It's also pointless to have as there's no HD optical unit either, so it'll not be able to play HD-DVD discs as and when they come out.
Just buy a regular DVDR to tide you over for the next 2-3 years, then look for BR or HD DVDRs, which can record in HD and playback HD discs, making much more sense and use of the HDMI connection provided.

If you have a HDMI equipped LCD/Plasma TV, then save its connector for the Sky+ HD next Feb/March you're getting.

Thanks for the help, especially the excellent explanation by pjskel!

Very interesting to read, seems that they are putting these things onto DVDR without anyone seemingly being able to make any real use of it!

I was thinking that the DVDR with HDMI may be able to play back the HDMI DVDs when they start appearing, but pjskel has dispelled this possibility. Also, I dont have a high def telly, so it is all a bit pointless I guess. I am not upgrading my tv just because of HD, unless I come into some money and dont know what to do with it!

At least I now know that I dont have to bother with HDMI and that it really is another gimmic no one really needs!

As a matter of interest, would I be right in assuming that if Sky broadcast in HD then without the HD tv it wont make any difference, or will the pictures still be improved? I am personally very happy with the pictures from Sky anyway, easily the best on TV in my opinion, but would be interested to know all the same.

Thanks again,

Tony :clap:

I would imagine that watching Sky HD broadcasts through a standard resolution output such as RGB Scart, you would see an improved picture due to higher bitrates and true 16:9 broadcasts, not anamorphic ones. Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks for that info, something to look forward to.

To think back to the old days of 3 channels and yes, black and white TV, its amazing what is happening with the technology these days!

Thanks again,

Tony :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom