HMDI cable help needed!

Andy F

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I need some help please! Ive just had Sky Q installed, and the sky box is plugged into the sky cables that come into the house by the TV. However, my wife is getting the lounge redecorated, and wants the TV over the other side of the room mounted on the wall. Im not sure what is best to do with the Sky box. The Sky Q technician said dont move the box but instead get a long HDMI and run round under carpet by skirting board and then try drill a hole through skirting board for cable and pull it up through hollow wall to the tv.

My question is, other than how hard will it be to get the cable through skirting board and up hollow wall, is the distance is about 10m to the new TV site from the sky box. If I get a slim HDMI cable will I lose image quality? Is there a better way of doing this. I could move the sky box marginally closer (5m) if I get sky out again but it will be very messy and will need new holes from outside drilling etc.

Also, any recommendations on high quality thin HDMI cable? worth noting Im hoping to get a 4k tv later in the year.

Your thoughts would be appreciated,

Andy

Andy

if hoping to use 4K then you need to keep the length of the HDMI cable under 5M ideally, and I would avoid the thin cables as less likely to carry the full 4K signal over distance.

You wont lose image quality it will just work or wont work

Many thanks.

And what about fibre optic cable? Just found some interesting articles on them.

Thanks again. And would I need a booster or anything? Could you recommend any brands or types please?

Ouch, I wasn't sitting down!!!

Back to drawing board. Maybe I just use my wifi sky q box and do without the 4K. At least all neat then.

Move the sky box. Extend the satellite cables.
This is by far the best, most sound technically and cheapest option.
Long HDMI cables , anything over 8 meters , are problematic, and absolutely definitely will have problems with UHD/4K material.

SKY - depending on your DIY skills and tool kit the best option is likely to call in a local installer who can take you through the Pro's and Con's of moving the SKY cabling/box vs. extending the HDMI signal to the TV.

Network - where is your Router and network cabling, ideally you'll want a wired connection to any Smart TV.

Audio - what are your plans (if any) for audio? The sound from most thin TV's is pretty horrible and even a relatively budget Soundbar can make quite a difference to your enjoyment of the system.

SKY Multi-room - are you planning to add any of the SKY Q mini box's elsewhere in the house?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom