HLG being added to 2016 OLED's via Firmware update

thewoe2

Established Member
Reaction score
Steve i believe asked the LG repp in this video and he said yes it "Most likely" will be added to 2016 LG OLED's via a firmware update later on in the year. Good news for us 2016 OLED owners. Pretty much no need to upgrade a 2016 model to a 2017 model for those who were tempted if true.

Last edited:
True, but if it was a no then he would have straight out said no.

But i amended the title anyhow ;)
A company rep? You put too much faith in them. If it was a yes he'd have said so to.

It's more likely he doesn't know so can't say one way or the other and the last thing he'd want to do is discourage anyone from buying current models. I hope they get it but would take his comment as completely non commital.

We also don't know anything about the 2017 models yet so it's impossible to say what might or might not be gained from owning one over a 2016 model.

There's a new channel being broadcast on Hot Bird (13.0e) called TravelXP 4K which is supposed to be being broadcast in UHG with HLG HDR.

I've just ripped a few mins of the stream but it doesn't play back as HDR (think we still need the firmware update for that).

In the interview the LG chap says that the intention is to definitely support HLG on the 2016 oleds. To me that is a bit better than "most likely".

Why would LG have a definite intention to support HLG on the 2016 oleds?

They're not going to come out and say the current models won't get it but next years will as that could kill off sales of current models.

The cynic in me can see them chosing not to implement it in 2016 models in order not to discourage anyone with a 2016 model from buying a 2017 model for the new features it contains.

I hope they do update the 2016 sets but wouldn't read too much into the rep's comments.

Last edited:
It will be added, just you wait and see :)
Don't get me wrong, I hope it is and am not saying it won't be added. But I wouldn't take a rep being caught on the hop as an indicator of anything.

Reading between the lines, I'm getting the impression that HLG wont be added to all 2016 models. I'm currently in the market for a 55 inch to replace my 11 year old Panny plasma, I'd jump in now for a B or the Currys special (despite the curve) if I knew for sure one of them would get the update.

It would be a shame if not. We already know the 2016 sets can do it... And there only a year old.

a year ? not even close right ? when did they come available , June ?

Reading between the lines, I'm getting the impression that HLG wont be added to all 2016 models. I'm currently in the market for a 55 inch to replace my 11 year old Panny plasma, I'd jump in now for a B or the Currys special (despite the curve) if I knew for sure one of them would get the update.

B has no curve ... C does

Why would LG have a definite intention to support HLG on the 2016 oleds?
Same reason Apple doesn't just stop supporting an iPhone with OS updates and new features after they release a new phone. If they don't support HLG it's going to push people away from LG and on to TV brands that are actually supported longer than a year. Sony is even updating their high end model from last year with DV.

Like the game mode in HDR, it's bad press for LG to turn around and say you're screwed!

He would/should have worded it differently ("still looking into it", "different hardware", "difficult" etc.) if they had no plans to offer HLG for 2016 models, so I'm definitely expecting that HLG FW update.
Though let's be honest, many of us are using a STB to watch Sky or some other Pay TV channels which would make this update pretty much useless. It's those UHD receivers that need the HLG update.
Ok, there are the FTA channels that you UK guys get...

LG will add it, just like they updated for HDR Game mode. Remember when they first said the 2016 models would not get the update. A lot of unhappy customers. LG pushed out a HDR game mode update. If it's something that can be added with a FW update, LG will do it. Of course that would not happen until the 2017 models come out and after the stores have pulled the 2016 models. So I expect this spring for the 2017 models, and summer at the earliest for the 2016 models. In reality, does LG really care? They are getting your money whether it's a 2016 model or 2017 model, so why not push out a FW update?

Same reason Apple doesn't just stop supporting an iPhone with OS updates and new features after they release a new phone.

Except Apple do stop supporting phones once a new phone comes out. They give the illusion they offer the latest, but each older device has cut down feature sets, with much of the new stuff kept exclusively for the latest model.

I think we'll probably get HLG but I'm not holding my breath. The statement certainly makes it a lot more likely than before that statement was made

Very interesting.Why we stop to write it 2 months?
I read too for HLG for 2016 OLED models.And 2 times asked LG Bulgaria for it.They say ''No ,no way''.I wait now LG answer in practice.
Someone say yes,someone say no.What we can think about LG?

The latest firmware update that came out recently still doesn't support HLG.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom