1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HL2 - who's completed it yet

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Ethics Gradient, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Seeing if I'm the first to complete the game - ( medium settings that is )
    might have to re do it now on the hardest settings ( didn't bother with 'easy' as auto aim etc seem a bit pointless )

.....whats next ;)

2. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    im at the part with the crazy preacher how far am i?? into the game that is

3. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If youv'e only done it on medium then surley you haven't finished it,, :laugh: common youv'e gotta paly it on hard, especially as the reviews say it isn't paticularly hard!!!
    Bloody hell mines has'nt been delivered yet, perhaps the posty's playing it!! :(

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265

I don't beleive for a minute you played it on medium :devil:

You just about own everyone @counter strike so the AI in HL2 shouldn't come close.
    I've only played HL2 an hour or so on hard and have only died once :blush:
    It seems pretty easy compared to cod and far cry or is it just me :zonked:

5. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I know Ive said it before ,but Ill keep saying it...I cant understand why people play games on anything less than hard :confused:

Unless your an 8 year old kid or a young lady who is looking into this gaming lark after recieving prompting from her gaming boyfriend/husband I cannot understand why anyone would choose to play games like this on anything less than hard!Do you not want to get your moneys worth?Do you want to be the first person to "complete"the game?Sorry,I just dont get it..I dont want to be able to run through the enemies till I get to the end,seems like a waste of time tbh.

As far as Im concerned the longer it takes me to get through a game the better,and as good as HL2 is,even with it set to hard Im afraid its gonna be a quickie :blush:

6. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Well, I have to disagree.

I almost always play games the first time on normal.

Why go straight to hard? I have too many games sitting unplayed to want to dedicate that much time to a game. IF a game is enjoyable, then I will play it again on a harder level. (Max Payne 2 was a good example of this).

7. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I am enjoying playing it on normal, there are a few places where I have suffered a few deaths, but on the whole you can make good progress. Currently, I have made it to Nova Prospekt......... awesome gun battle to get in the place, I love my antlions :)

I prefer playing it with no manual loading or saving. I find that if you play it on hard it becomes too tempting to clear room save, die, load, clear room, save, die, die, die, load, clear room, save........ and I find that really detracts from playing the game if you keep loading and saving every minute.

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I've only been on HL2 for a couple of hours (medium also) . The initial bad guys are pretty soft but I expect this will change and they do just stand there waiting to get shot ( the spinny bladed things are a bit annoying though as they force you to use a lot of ammo). The room you have to flood drove me up the wall until I found the valve!!!

The tortured corpses are a bit disturbing though. There is one guy sat in an interrogation chair who looks like he's had his face gone over with a blow-torch. The eastern european setting seems to make this one a bit nastier and grittier than the first. You end up really hating those masked gits.

I'd have reservations about letting younger players loose on this.

9. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I'm at that bit now I just used the crow bar to conserve ammo (worked for me :smoke: )

10. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Playing on 'hard' first time means you have nowhere else to go.
    I read the options - discounted easy on the grounds of auto aim and went straight to medium.
    I tend to find if you select the hardest settings on games you actually miss out on some elements of the game. On lower settings you have different techniques for killing and moving around - some areas you simply can't afford to stop, kill everything and then explore - you have to run through ... especially on the top hardness settings ... so you are less likley to examine every detail .. or try things out on the enemies.
    When I finished it on medium, I have gone straight back to playing it on hard - adding a little bit of a challenge and worth another trip through. If I had played it on hard from the off, I certainly would not have attempted it again as there would have been no reason.

I completed the game on medium - but it wasn't that 'quick', it took about 20hrs of play - you are quite entitled to your view point, but after 24yrs of computer gaming, much of it hard core, I think I have a reasonable grasp of how to get my 'moneys worth' and what suits 'me' best.
    People who know me and/or have seen me play can testify to the level and depth of my gameing - and how serious I take it - I turned on HL2 at 9:30am Tue .... and couldn't stop playing till about 5am Wed morning - some people think thats a waste, but its simply how I am - not a rush to complete it .... as I would have loved to be still in the middle ( which I am on hard settings second time around )

11. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obviously it is personal opinion - but i agree playing on medium can prolong the life of a game.

However it does depend on how good the game is;

If its a great game thats relatively short than yeah play on medium straight back in on hard - good excuse to keep playing with enough of a change to spice it up.

However if its sufficently long e.g 45hrs+ to complete once through i would probably play it straight through on hard - just dont have the time anymore.

12. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Me too.

THere has to be a fine balance between challenge and enjoyment against frustration and lack of progress.

One games hard is another medium and so on.

13. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Im embarrased to say that i decided to start on easy :blush:

But only coz i really want to wonder through the game taking my time to be a tourist and enjoy the scenery and phisics of the game.

This has to be the best game EVER!

Cant wait to see what Valve do in the future!

Only 1 gripe, the loading between bits of the game really slows the pace and ruins the mood.

I hope they find a way to get rid of this in the future. Untill then I guess I should buy a faster HDD! Maybe one of those 10.000rpm SATA Raptors?

14. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122

The quote of the day LOL :smashin:

Thanks for being honest and whilst I am on medium I feel it's paced enough for me and don't feel the urge to put it on hard just yet.

15. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,004
    Hard setting for me, personally I've never EVER played the same game twice once I've completed it. Just doesn't have any wow factor any more. Saying that, HL2 is THE best game I've ever played...

16. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Fair comments,each to their own I suppose.I just prefer a bit of a challenge :smashin:

17. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Ive got a Raptor and its still has long loading times. Some guy said he has 1.5 seconds between loads, i just carnt believe that. I think im averaging 30 secs.

18. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,949
    Playing it on normal first time (and with this game believe me there will be a second, third & fourth time!).

It's an awesome game!! I've only got an XP2200+, 512 mb 400mhz ram and a GF4Ti4400 and it runs a dream on 1280 x 1084 with medium settings! I thought with my now aging setup i'd be playing on low settings but no! The game looks amazing and the only stutter I get is after a loading section then after that no slow down or anything no matter how many people are on screen!

I've spent tonight playing it solidly on normal for about 3 hours and i've just done that bit where you get chased down the river by the chopper after opening those big gates. Those spinning things are a nightmare, especially if you get a room full of them! The human enemies are fairly easy to dispatch if you hit them in the head, 1 or 2 shots to down one.

I find the basic pistol a superb weapon & much prefer it to the SMG. The magnum is a great gun though and always fells them first time.

I must say Valve have outdone their selves this time with this classic! It's just so real and the world and it's inhabitants is so believable. The physics engine is really impressive - you kind of feel like you can do anything in this game!

For a single player experience this is my game of the year so far (if the rest of the game is as good as i've played so far anyway), and there have been some great games this year! Oh and a huge well done to valve for producing a game that still looks amazing even if you haven't got a top of the range system! :thumbsup:

I agree though, the loading times are a right pain - it's like playing on a PS2 when it comes to loading times!

19. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    TBH,I found that the game keeps getting better as I progress through the levels,hasnt been a duff section yet!

I usually find that if I am going to replay a game theres always a few levels/sections that I dread redoing for some reason but so far HL2 has been on the money :smashin:

20. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Believe me it gets much better :)

Currently I got stuck last night in Nova Prospekt, since going to bed all I can think about is new strategies to try and get past that section. My FPS skills are pretty rusty at the mo :p

21. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    haha,I bet I know which part it is :p took me a few attempts as well,such a relief when they stopped coming ;)

22. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Just completed it on hard and thoroughly enjoyed it;definately the best single player gaming experience Ive had.I honestly cant think of any crap levels,it was all top notch :thumbsup: I know theres gonna be loads of mods released but its a shame they decided not to include a multiplayer element.

SPOILERS
    =======
    I thought there were a few Matrixy bits in it,that Breen bloke was remarkably like the architect and I thought the last level was a bit of a matrix flashback.
    Too many highlights but 1 of the best bits(maybe cos its still fresh in my mind) was when the gravity gun got supercharged,lol,so funny tossing those storm trooper characters about and knocking them down like skittles!Throwing those balls of ,errrr,sand lion juice?at the enemy and getting your wannabe starship trooper insect budies to attack them was quite entertaining to. Must admit I found the ending a bit odd,I just wonder how long its gonna be till the announce HL3.

Lets hope the modders are working their asses off and we get some quality multi player action soon :smashin: (Whats happened to DoD?)

(1 Im keeping an eye on:http://www.insmod.net/ )

23. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Completed it last night, the biggest disappointment about the ending is simply that it ends :(

SPOILER

I found the last couple of levels a little annoying with the stupid squads following me around, the only use was to make sure I had a medic to patch me up occasionally, although you would have to wait for 10 minutes for that! My favourite tactic was to find some combine, hang around a little and wait for a grenade, watching my squad fly through the air was mucho amusing. All they did was get in my way, I was supposed to be Gordon Freeman a one man Nobel prize winning killing machine.

The souped up GRAV gun was awesome, anyone know if you can put this gun on in cheats, I would love to play some of the earlier levels with it.

Favourite levels had to be Ravensholme, Highway, Entanglement, Nova Prospekt and the final level..... hehe nearly all of them :p

All I want to know now is who the hell is G-Man, I am thinking he is an alien, spotting him throughout the game was well funny, I loved the one where he appeared on the TV and also when he appeared on a wall screen..... Comparisons to the Matrix are fair enough but this game is about 50 times better :)

24. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    HL3 was unnoffically announced awhile back - expect it within 3 years ......

25. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Sinzer:

Possible spoiler regarding a HL2 character and the story:

Most of the speculation about G-Man is that he is some sort of player on a different level - either a time traveller or entity playing off different groups against each other.
    What we do know, is that through HL and HL2, he is behind events that direct Gordon on a specific path - you spot him throughout the games, read memo's and over hear conversations in HL1 etc.
    He was the one that ordered the specimin sample that caused the resonance cascade that started the events off in Black Mesa, he manipulates events so that Gordon is the one that gets through certain portals - and others can't.
    My personal guess is someone interfereing with events with a prior knowledge .... the time traveller .... but only the story writer knows the truth ( if there actually is one ) .... you often find that the reasons and who / what people are get chopped and changed to suit what they do next time to fulfill the gameplay in the next game.

26. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,949
    I think the way it's been done is that HL3 will probably be out next year using the source engine again.

Possible Spoiler

HL2 (from what i've read - not finished it yet) is like the middle part of the story - the Empire strikes back if you like (obviously just refering to the original trillogy). I would expect the finale to be released in the not too distant future - a year or two max. As they won't have to develop another engine & they will have learnt a lot in terms of programing the source engine from HL2 they should be able to produce HL3 pretty quickly! I'd also expect the graphics to be even more amazing as they should be able to get even more out of the Source engine with the experience they now have!

27. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Marc Laidlaw is the story writer for the HL series, and I am thinking that he will explain more in the next episode :)

It definately seems that Gordon is time-travelling or at least being kept in a kind of stasis and is currently a pawn of the G-Man with little understanding of why. I hope next time round we will find out more. Unlike some of the reviews I didn't find the ending that disappointing just really want to know more. G-Man just doesn't appear to be human, doesn't really sound human.

28. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    afiak -the comments from Valve seemed to indicate that HL3 would be on a new and uprated source engine - hence the 3 years comment

29. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,949
    Got round to finishing it tonight and I must say it was one hell of a ride from start to finish!

SPOILERS

I agree with your fave levels Sinzer, the game really got going in Ravensholme after a level or so to get used to things. I felt the pacing was great throughout with a nice steady build at the start and then the build up in intensity to the final level where it's basically ride in a casket and then fight, fight, fight before another brief casket ride & then the finale! I felt that the driving bits provided a great change from the norm and kept things feeling fresh. I never once had the feeling of, just being on a treadmill repeating the same actions over & over and although it's pretty much purely scripted action it is all done so well that it doesn't feel fake at all.

The story was great - not because it was a work of litterary genius but because it was simply so believable - helped by some great characters and some wonderful settings! Graphically the game is a knock out and the quality never drops for a second. The sound is also out of this world and the game uses the voice of Breen over the tanoys, along with the voices of fellow comrades & squad members to make the experience all the more real!

Yes the ending was rather abrupt - regarding G-Man it seems like he's playing some sort of game with Freeman in that the situations are created by him so that he can see how Freeman deals with them. He definately seems to be an entity from a higher level.

I'm sure we'll learn more about him as the games progress. Regarding a new engine, it would seem a shame not to just develop another game using the source engine (perhaps slightly upgraded) as even in a year's time it will still be one of the best engines about. I guess there was Opposing forces & Blue shift for the original HL where you played as other characters! There's a strong rumour that in HL3 you play as Alyx. I'd have a guess that this will not be HL3 but actually an add on for HL2 in which you can play the HL2 game as Alyx. They may even do one where you play as Breen you never know. I'm sure we'll see add on's like these though as they will be pretty easy to program as the world is already created and it's mainly a matter of telling the other characters story.

30. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108

SPOILER

Started playing through again last night and it is like a really good film, where you notice so much more than the first time around. When you start Red Letter DAy, if you go to the Videscreen on the wall in Dr. Kleiners lab and change channels you will see G-Man at one of the gates outside the lab just before you get teleported out there. Also, in route kanal when you get to the red crate that is an outpost there is a Vortigaunt watching G-Man on the TV, almost as if he is speaking with him.

I get the feeling G-Man is connected to the Vortigaunt as they seem to be very mysterious and far more advanced than we are if not a little subservient.

Anyway leaves a great lot of storyline to come in the further games and I look forward to going through the game again. Hard seems a lot better in terms of fire fights with AI

BTW..... I have been playing with the Grav Gun settings and cannot seem to get it to mimic the Super Charged Grav Gun in the final levels, a little annoying as I really want to play Ravenholme using it!