gooner#14 said:
hi im downloading it now has any one played it
my system is a
2800 64 bit processer
gig of ram
radeon pro 9800
is this enough?
played half life ok?

Without HDR you should be ok. With HDR enabled the game will be crippled, although I'm not sure whether the option will be there or not with a 9800pro.

But I gotta say....this game looks AWESOME. Check it out....

19gn.jpg

20bz.jpg

They have got the HDR implementation right IMO, looks amazing in motion.

In the process of downloading...
Steam said my CPU aint fast enough. I only have a 2.8ghz P4 and it recomends 2.9ghz :rolleyes:

If I can run HL2 and CS S with no probs then I dont see this being much worse.
I have a 6800GT so i can at least enjoy the HR lighting.

Still, I think it might be time for a new CPU met thinks.

Just finished playing it. Short but sweet.

I tried setting it to 1920X1200 (my LCD's max) and for a short time it looked amazing, but as soon as I tried to move Gordon, my PC was having NONE of it!
It was chugging along at 2 or 3 fps.

Even at 1600X1200 it wasnt doing very well. Maybe set to 1280X1024 it might move ok.

I also had all the settings maxed out so they need to come down a bit.

I also noticed the game had a few bugs that need ironing out.

Deffinately time for a new CPU if not a whole new PC.

AML said:
Just finished playing it. Short but sweet.

I assume that once you get to the square (after going up the cliff paths) it's game over? Can't see anywhere to go in there?

hillster said:
I assume that once you get to the square (after going up the cliff paths) it's game over? Can't see anywhere to go in there?

No you need to find your way in to the church....

Those screenshots look incredible, my PC would get no where close to those graphics. I have to set my res to 800x600 to get it to run at a reasonable frame rate!

Very good showcase for what's possible with HDR and SM3, shame it wasn't a bit longer, but it was free so......... :smashin:

Ran mine at 1900x1200 with all video settings maxed out - it looks pretty special!

Just looking forward to Half-Life 2:Aftermath now :)

It's short but sweet isn't it! Looks amazing but couldn't help thinking a bit of an anticlimax after the hype and the wait for it... oh well will have to wait for HL2 Aftermath now...

1900x1200 with all settings on max! Bloody hell what's your spec? Mine ran very nicely at 1024x768 with everything maxed out, 6800GT, P4 2.6Ghz, 1GB Ram.

texasboy said:
......FEAR is a bit of a system cruncher, but if you got a powerful system (I'm running an FX57 with 2 7800 GTX's in SLI all watercooled :smashin: ) it's simply stunning - I got everything maxed out, looks and plays perfectly........

from the FEAR thread...wot a lucky boy eh!

Yeah, I'm rather pleased my with PC, it took me long enough to save up for it!!

I've got an

AMD FX57
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
XFX Extreme Edition 7800 GTX x2 in SLI
2 GB Corsair 4400
2 x 74GB Raptor in Raid 0
Dell 2405 Monitor
Plus a big storage drive, plextor dvdrw and Asetek and Dangerden Watercooling all in a nice modded Silverstone TJ-05

CPU is 32c under load and the GFX cards are 44-46c under load

30,000 points in 3d Mark 03, not done 05 yet - expect about 13-14k?

Does anyone know when Aftermath is due?

texasboy said:
Yeah, I'm rather pleased my with PC, it took me long enough to save up for it!!

I've got an

AMD FX57
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
XFX Extreme Edition 7800 GTX x2 in SLI
2 GB Corsair 4400
2 x 74GB Raptor in Raid 0
Dell 2405 Monitor
Plus a big storage drive, plextor dvdrw and Asetek and Dangerden Watercooling all in a nice modded Silverstone TJ-05

CPU is 32c under load and the GFX cards are 44-46c under load

30,000 points in 3d Mark 03, not done 05 yet - expect about 13-14k?

Does anyone know when Aftermath is due?

You should get around the 13k mark in 3dmark 05, unless you oc those GTX's ;) Watercooled you should get a good oc on the core's.

Great little tech demo and I managed to average 25+ fps which was playable imo (cl_showfps 1 in console;))with my system (a64 3500+, 2gb ddr400 ram, xt850xt pe) that was max everything @1280x1024 4AA and 16 AF:D I liked the comentary too which was a nice touch. Wish it was a bit longer though , but, it did look fantastic and gave you a flavour of things to come.

How does the HDR look on ATi cards? Not sure if I'm 100% right but I thought it was the Bloom effect the x800 series could do, not full blown HDR.

Some comparisons here:-

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2005/09/21/lost_coast_benchmark/1.html

I can't tell the difference betwwen the two tbh. Both cards renderer hdr but go about it slightly differently by all accounts:D All I can say is the effect works and looks great.

Quote "To our eyes, there is no discernable visual difference between ATI and NVIDIA cards. Although we understand that they are rendering differently internally, as far as we can see, there is absolutely no difference in the quality of the output. The image on the left is a scene rendered on a NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX on the left, and an ATI Radeon X850 XT on the right. Both are at 4x / 16x. If you can spot a difference in quality, let me know!"

The newer 1800 cards from Ati can do HR lighting and run close to what a 7800GTX can.

You can see them compared to the 7800 cards over at HardOCP. Final result was that the new ATi cards are good but still not as good as the 7800 cards.

Im still surprised that these newer cards only run 256mb of ram rather than 512mb.

Im gonna wait for another newer card to come out before I get another card. Also want to see SLI and XFire (ATi's dual card system) mature more before I go for one or the other.

Also need a decent 64bit OS like Vista to come out.

The x1800xt is a 512mb card. Just when it will be available to buy is the bigger question.

7800 ultra 512mb will be available 7th november so get yer purses ready :D
no idea how much its going to be and apparently its not just got more memory on it, it will be clocked higher than the gtx aswell. just how much real world difference this will make is yet to be seen but take a look over at overclockers uk if you are interested in buying one
:)

texasboy - how much did a rig like that cost? I'm in the market for a new PC so was just wondering?

"No you need to find your way in to the church...."
Is that it or do you have to stop the gun?

carpeteyes said:
"No you need to find your way in to the church...."
Is that it or do you have to stop the gun?

The gun is in the church ;)

Tejstar said:
texasboy - how much did a rig like that cost? I'm in the market for a new PC so was just wondering?

Look at www.scan.co.uk one of the cheapest on line for UK, bought a few things from them and their delivery is very fast. Ordered a mobo about 3pm one day and had it the next morning!

Tejstar - The whole lot was about about 3k there or thereabouts (thats includes the 24" Dell Monitor as well, picked that up only a couple of weeks ago for £600.00 from Dell). The Monitor is great, HD Ready, DVI,VGA, Component and S-Video - native res is 1900x1200

A lot of money I know but hey - I like gaming so why not!! It took a while to save up for it though.

Like Tigerblade says Scan are excellent and actually got the majority of the stuff from there.

HD's from OCuk as they were cheapest at the time and a few Networking bits from DABS, had to import the pump from Denmark as it wasn't available on its own in the UK only in kit form.

All the suppliers were great to be honest, highly recommend them all. I'm sure it's possible to have a bad experience with each and every one, but I must be lucky so far.

Scariest parts of building it were holesawing a £120.00 case and taking to bits 2 £400.00 graphics cards, other than that it was a doddle.

The thing I am most pleased about is it genuinely performs way beyond my expectations, I knew it was going to good and fast but really shocked me when I saw how quick it was. I used to have a P4 3.2 o/c to 3.92GHz with a 6800GT which I liked a lot, but my new rig simply buries it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom