1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hl2 has finally Came For Me

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Kopite4Ever, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    after people talking about it all week ive stayed away as much as possible as i had a ton of uni work and wouldnt get it done if i had the game. so im just home with it and unlocking now ! using all of 1kb/s :( o well should run sweet as a nut spec in sig :D

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Prepare to loose a weekend :)

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    o yes its good. first time i ran it, the thing crashed so i wasnt pleased. but its fine now but now and again i get some video and audio stuttering. has been mentioned else where but totally playable. i love the whole atmosphere of the world and the people in it. well worth the wait so far and ive only done 3 levels :) off for more now

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    Yeah I must say I get stuttering audio from time to time. It is an amazing game though - i've been pretty much glued to it since I got it 2 days ago. My consoles all have a thin layer of dust over them at the moment - even my Xbox with Halo2 logged inside it's DVD drawer! You can really see where all the development time has gone with this game - everything has been thought out perfectly! It's not just shoot, do a puzzle, shoot do a puzzle - the whole game is a puzzle and needs to be approached with a very lateral mind! Although the game is scripted to an extent it never really feels like it is as you always feel like you can do whatever you want to solve a puzzle, and generally you can! There just never seems to be an even remotely dull part to this game it's pure fun gaming all the way. :thumbsup:

5. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have been away working and have just got back. Having been looking forward to playing this game since it was first announced. However I am well stressed at having to register and join a crap steam buletin board. Who the hell do they think they are!!!I have broadband but why should I give these bozos my email address so they can sell it to the highest spam bidder. If this is the future of PC games then they can stick them where the sun does not shine I dont care how good they are. If I knew that you had this hassle then I would not have ordered it months ago on preorder. Of course this was not mentioned by the seller.

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I have never and never will receive spam email from this service and I have been registered since it first came out.

I can understand people being a little bemused at this new method but why is everyone so angry at a service they don't even understand (I think I have answered my own question!).

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    Personally I think Steam is great but I don't think it should be up to individual software houses to setup & release such services. I guess though as Steam is pioneering this method of buying & playing games then Valve are the only people who can do it for their game at the moment.

If it's to work properly then it's the retailers who need to be running this kind of service. You would say have a Game, Play, Gamestation or Gameplay etc. account, which you would select based on which one offered the best package for you. Games are then downloaded via your account and activated online through a secure server. The secure server would hold "special code" that the game needs in order to work & this special code would never be leaked outside of the secure server & would never be downloaded onto a users computer. You wouldn't need shortcuts on your desktop as games would be simply loaded from a list via your retailers account (like you can now with steam). A friends list & facilities for online gaming would also be built into the account so that a standardised system and gamertag (like with XBox live) could be employed. This could be something that all retailers subscribe to.

The only thing I personally have against this method is that sometimes it's nice to give someone a wrapped up gift if you are buying a game as a present. OK the shape narrows down what it is to a game or dvd but some people like to be able to either physically give or receive a birthday or christmas present - not just input their credit card details into someone's account.

Apart from that, for general games purchasing, I see this as the way forward one broadband is fully established.

8. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Because it was not made clear in any of the game sites I visited when looking to buy this game.

Because not every one has broadband or understands how to log on to the internet

Because people do not want to arse around for two hours trying to finally get a game.

Because I am not interested in adverts for their other crap games

Because when people have finished the game they may want to sell it on ebay or trade it in. How can this be done if the key is only available for your account.

As I say I will be more careful in future. Hopefully more people will also vote with their wallets.

This has totally ruined the excitement of this game for me.

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    from Game: Please note this is a DVD-ROM title and as such will not play on CD-ROM drives. You will also require an Internet connection to activate and play Half-Life 2.

from Gameplay: Requires Internet Access - This is during the installation process.
    You will need to install Counter Strike (included with game) to Play Half Life 2

Basically this has been common knowledge for a long time & if the retailer doesn't specify that a connection is required then that is the fault of the retailer - not valve.

It's the 21st century mate, not everyone knows how to use a video or dvd player yet - does that mean that they shouldn't produce them? You don't need broadband to play the game just an internet connection during the install process.

The install took me no longer than any other PC game and I can get a game quite easily & quickly by clicking on my HL2 icon.

There are no intrusive adverts on mine - just the option to buy/play other games on my steam list - hardly intrusive. Also when you buy most games they come with leaflets etc advertising other games so this is nothing new. Do you buy games magazines or watch TV - they are full of adverts for other "crap games" as well as good ones - it's capitalism mate.

Most people will want to keep the game to use with future mods. Games companies also want to get rid of the 2nd hand & loaning market as they get no revenue from a game sold 2nd hand. You are buying the right to play the game really the disc & case are just a way of delivering the game to you and are not really worth much.

You'll find that in time all retailing will go this way so i'd either get used to it or find another hobby.

Personally i'm extremely happy with Steam and with Valve for bringing me such an amazing game!! Can't wait for the inevitable expansion packs. :thumbsup:

10. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have answers for all your replies but you are obviously a steam fanboy so I would not want to wind you up anymore.

Isnt that what I have all along been saying I will do. :rolleyes:

No wonder they do things like this when there are many people just willing to bend over and take it.

Not me :nono:

11. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Ok, so, for you steam slowed down your game install and frustrated you immensely. For me, steam meant that inspite of only deciding to order the saturday before, i had HL 2 installed and ready to play immediately on tuesday the 16th when I got in from work- without needing to stop at any shops on my way.
    I also got to play counterstrike: source the weekend before and so warm up my FPS skills as well as get a look at the awesome new engine.
    I don't have to worry about breaking or losing the cd, as I can download it again whenever i should need to; or in fact, if I don't want to wait to download it in the event, i can just back it up myself, as many times as I like. Valve doesn't mind me doing this because they know that I am not pirating it, as i have to authenticate my installs (compare that to any number of backwards copy protection techniques that simply will not let you install the game on a number of computers).
    I don't have to worry about finding a mirror for the latest updates, because steam does that for me. I don't even have to know there's an update out- it sorts it all out for me.
    If i should get bored of Half Life 2 (as if ;) ) then because i went for the silver install I can play through the entire valve gaming back catalogue, which, incidentally, I happily downloaded in the background as I was playing through Half Life 2.
    Yep, I've really had to bend over and take it to play Half Life 2.

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    lol, i'm not in the slightest bit wound up and i've played & finished HL2 and have moved on to playing PES4 now. Steam is a decent stab at bringing PC gaming into the 21st century but I have other things to be a fan of TBH and this is way down on that list.

Anyway you will notice if you read my post properly, that I didn't actually ask you any questions, therefore answers are not required - I was simply responding to the points you raised in your post - nothing more, nothing less.

If you are not able to respect peoples views then why post on discussion forums?