HK850 compatibility

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by neilrlsmith, Nov 21, 2017.

1. neilrlsmith

neilrlsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi. This is a really easy question but someone I cannot find an obvious answer for it so I know somebody on here will answer very quickly:)

If I buy any Atmos soundbar will it give me Atmos sound with any Atmos content (Netflix, sky etc) or do I need a seperate device in the middle to push/decode it to the soundbar (the new LG TV, PS4, Atmos receiver etc).

I've read it's just an extension to TrueHD and not a new codec per se. My set up doesnt allow for an extra device other than changing TV and I'm not buying a new 55" LG ULED TV just to get Atmos!

If the TV I have does matter though, it's a Samsung 48JU6445 UHD 4k.

Thanks for any help!

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,552
    'If I buy any Atmos soundbar will it give me Atmos sound' - assuming you feed it an Atmos encoded signal yes or you feed it a non-Atmos encoded signal and you enable the 'up-mixer' on-board the Soundbar to 'create' height channels.

You will need to ensure you have enough HDMI Inputs on your Atmos enabled Soundbar to cater for the Source devices you intend to use.

Always read past the headlines when it comes to the latest 'must have' feature and ensure the device you are considering fully covers your requirements.

Joe

PS Of course your room and room layout will play a big part in what you can achieve no matter what kit you have.

3. neilrlsmith

neilrlsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is that right though? Surely, if my soundbar is connected to my TV then the codec pass down to the Soundbar is limited to what the TV can decode right?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,552
    Source > TV > Soundbar - what arrives at the Soundbar will be dictated by the TV’s capabilities.

Sources > Soundbar > TV - what arrives at the Soundbar is dictated by the Soundbar capabilities (for the External Sources) and by the TV (for its Tuner and streaming Apps).

Joe

5. neilrlsmith

neilrlsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Joe. Looking at my TV it supports Dolby digital plus and DTS premium sound 5.1. looking at soundbar (Samsung MS650) it doesn't appear to support anything higher so maybe just best to put all devices to the TV anyway? The devices are a raspberry pi2, two M8 android boxes and a youview 4k box so pretty sure the TV is doing enough anyway?

Thanks.