1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HK25/2550 Vs Pioneer 717

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jason Jackson, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Jason Jackson

Jason Jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Is the HK 25, for £250, better than my 5 yr old 717 (£550)? Has technology moved on so much or would I still need a flagship player to get the same picture. The reason I'm looking to change is because I'm getting a new TV with Comp in.

thanks

2. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I don't think you'll see much benefit via a TV unless it is a v big one. If you had a PJ with a 7 or 8ft image size then I'd say yes go for it because Prog scan done well will definately show improvements at that size.

I changed my player recently from a Yamaha dvd-s796 player to a HK DVD2550. The Yamaha player, which was a £350 player when it was first introduced, only output s-video. Never the less, the image was really excellent on my 28" W/S TV. Even on 8ft images via my PJ it was good most of the time.

The HK doesn't really give much better image on the TV via RGB (the best my TV will accept), but it does on the PJ via component Prog Scan.

I'd certainly be cautious.

Cheers

Croc

3. Jason Jackson

Jason Jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    90% of my DVDs are R1 and as I understand it through prog scan via component they could look as good if not better as my current R2 films which is a a massive bonus altho I guess I am still unsure whether a £250 DVD player using this method will look better than a £550 5yr old player through Scart on a 36" TV.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Pio 717 is a superb player! dont think you would notice a difference on a TV upto 32" on DVD. save component For XBOX if you have one.

5. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I have a 717 and I used to have a 32" widescreen.In my opinion you are hard pressed to find a better player for a tv,and I have seen prog scan,still thought the 717 output a superb piccy.You should try to dem before doing anything though,take the 717 with you if you can?

Just my two pennies worth,
    Phil