HK prices needed

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by oaklandraiders, Dec 8, 2004.

1. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Maybe heading out tomorrow.
    ANy prices on

Onkyo SP1000
    Marantz DV 8400 or new model

THanks

John

2. Azrael

Azrael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya John

I can help you on the Marantz, as I checked out the new prices yesterday.

DV8400 - $10,800

DV9500 - $9,800
    DV7500 - $5,880
    DV6500 - $3,380

Currently GBP 1 = ~ HKD 14.8

These are directly from Marantz Hong Kong and in HK$. Note that most shops have a standard price (as above) which you pay if using credit card, or financing over 24 months. If you pay cash, you can get at least 10% off...sometimes more. Fortress is OK (the big one on Nathan Rd in Mong Kok), but Tai Lin Radio is generally more flexible.

So for DV8400 you shouldn't pay more than about $9,500.

Or you can pick up the old DV8300 for $6000 in GOMI on Argyle St in Mong Kok - I got that offer just a couple of weeks ago. (But no DVI output in the 8300).

The new models I've listed are on their way - only the DV9500 is available at the moment.

Marantz have a temporary showroom in Central where you can check it out. Tel: 2868 3360 (Audio Celebrities).

I'll be buying this week!

Good luck...and have a good trip to Honkers.

3. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

THanks for that.
    General question on opening hours of stores on sundays, especially the mongkok ones, i think it was 1200-2000.
    IF I get from Marantz store wiill it be region free.
    Weird how the 9500 is less than 8400 !

At the moment planning to go a week monday, but might go sooner.

Thanks

John

4. Spero D.

Spero D.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Azrael- Could you please tell me what the Denon AVC-A1XV goes for in HK & the best price you have seen for the Marantz DV9500 ?

5. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo Spero

Only problem with the new super amps is that their weight alone is over your single piece baggage allowance.
    Theres no paying extra, if its overweight the airline wont take it.
    Only option is cargo/courier.

John

6. Azrael

Azrael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya guys

I just happened to go past my local dealer today, and got cash prices for the DV7500 ($5,000) and the DV8400 ($7,000). They didn't have anything on the DV9500, although Marantz HK has one in their showroom - but I haven't had time to check it out yet. My guess is around $9,000 for cash. My original quotes came directly from Marantz HK, which don't allow for the discounts you get in the shops.

Stores are usually open 'til about 9.00pm every day. Opening times vary, but 10 or 11am is normal.

ALL DVD players in HK are region free.

I don't know what a Denon AVC-A1XV is. To be honest, I never even look at Denon stuff - up against Marantz, I feel they just don't cut it.

Can't say when I'll be shopping again, but if I find any more details I'll post them here.

Cheers...

7. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Thanks for all the info, can you tell me where Marantz HK shop is, just in case they're the only ones with stock.

John

8. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    This is the problem I am going to have! I'm going in March with BA and have a 23kg limit...

That said, it would probably still work out cheaper to buy it over there and ship it back??

Reason I say this is that the DV8400 appears to be around half the price it is over here ($7000 is around £470, the cheapest I can see the DV8400 for here is £970!).

Do all AV components come up this cheap or is this just a particularly good deal?

9. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Shipping, customs, Vat it'll probably neagte any real saving.
    DVD player you should be able to bring back as hand hold.
    Most av stuff is cheaper but DVD players always strike me as the real bargain.
    Just remember take Region discs with you to check and get them to plug in unit you're buying and see it working in the shop.
    THeres a great thread called entry level 6.1 receiver, or something like that that tells you where to shop in HK and Mongkok.

John

10. Azrael

Azrael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

The current Marantz showroom is in Central, but apparently it's only temporary, so your best bet is to call the number I posted when you arrive and ask.

As far as I can see from price listings on the WWW, some things are very much cheaper in Honks, and others are definitely not. The thing to remember is that quoted prices in HK are the "normal prices", which you pay if you use a credit card, or finance your purchase over X months. There is ALWAYS a "cash price", which can be quite a bit lower. And there is no VAT in HK. The big advantage for you guys at the moment is the strength of the UK pound, and the weakness of the HK dollar (which is pegged to the US dollar).

Fortress & Broadway are the main "big" chain stores here. However, they are not as flexible pricewise as the smaller guys. (They ARE better with guarantees, follow-up service, etc - but that's less of an issue if you're exporting). I live near Shatin in the New Territories, and the best local dealer is Tai Lin Radio (same stuff, but smaller chain).

Another one very much worth checking out is the Chinese Club. There's almost nothing listed on their website, but if you're in HK then you should check out their shops. Prices are usually very attractive, and they will give good discounts. You can look here:

http://www.chineseclubnet.com.hk/eappb/main.asp

All DVD players in HK are multi-region, and most TV's are PAL + NTSC. That's the consequence of being stuck in the middle, with imports from everywhere. The electrical system is the same as the UK, even down to the 3-pin plugs.

If you plan carefully, you can pretty much get your trip to pay for itself with the money you save. Many brand name watches are relatively cheap, for example. Ask around - your family & friends - see who needs/wants what. And not that I could possibly ever advocate such things(!), but copy goods are unbelievably cheap, and very good quality (watches, womens handbags, etc). In the market, never buy what's on display - always ask what's "under the counter".

And one last thing - some of the smaller shops are often willing to give you an "extra" receipt for your purchase IF YOU ASK - with an "adjusted" price. This can sometimes help if you get caught by European customs, and have to fork out for VAT. Once again, not that I could ever condone this sort of behaviour, of course!

11. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Interesting to note from the prices quoted for HK that the DV8400 is almost spot on to Singapore price, but the DV6500 and 7500 are estimated to be a lot cheaper. I have been told by the dealer they expect the 7500 to be around SGD 800, which is around HKD4000, and the 6500 will be 550-600, which is between HKD2500-3000. You should probably use these as target points for the discounting for cash. Also both these models are due in Jan next year, with 9500 afterwards, so you should check that the equipment is actually available for sale, rather than teasers for future purchasers. DV6400 is now at SGD 450, likely to crash to 400 once the 6500 hits the shelves. No great apsirations, me, so that is what I am waiting on! Happy hunting.....

12. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Thanks for all the info and any updates before I go gladly received.
    Going on sun or mon.
    Onkyo is favourite at moment, mainly due to UK price, if I sell it in a year or 2, should still get close to money back.

John

13. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    John - Did you manage to find out how much the SP1000 will be out there??

14. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo Chez

I know 3 months ago it was £1100 !!!!!!
    So it can only be cheaper.

John

15. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    wow! I guess the HK version will be the same as the US version (ie. only scales the dvd output and doesn't have inputs for scaling external sources)..

Still, very nice price!

16. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Import duty on DVD players is 15% - ouch, plus the nasty VAT.
    Cant find out if the HK one doesnt scale.

John

17. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Looking at US manual, it has external inputs, doesnt this mean it scales ?

John