HK or Yamaha with MA Radius?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by fulllupo, Nov 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. fulllupo

fulllupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi all,

Went out yesterday to buy some work shirts, ended up spending £5100 on a plasma, speakers, amp and dvd! oops! Damn sevenoaks!

Anyways, I can change anything up until its delivered when i move into my new house about start of December, and now i cant stop researching and im going mad.

Ive ordered Pioneer 436xde, Monitor Audio radius (R225's for fronts, R180 centre (tho toying with changing to R225 also), R90's for rears and R720 sub. Now i went for the HK avr-335 amp with matching HK dvd-22 dvd player. (also in that money i got fitting, cabling, wallmount and av equipment stand)

I got about £500 off in total after a bit of haggling, but now its just a matter of deciding on whether to keep the HK amp/dvd combo??

I dont realy want to spend much more on these. Total id want to spend on both is maybe £1000. dont really want to go too much on dvd player as will go hi-def when out.

My other option was to wait for the Yamaha 2600 and maybe the yamaha s1500 or s657 dvd to match.

Im sure ive read that the yamaha amps dont go too well with the aforementioned speakers? Is this true?

Other option could be a denon amp and the denon 1920 dvd but keep reading many post on here with problems on the1920 so scared me away.

By the way the amp/dvd dont necessarily have to match, but id kinda like to keep with same brand if can.

The system will be used virtually 100% for tv/movies.

I will have sky+ through RGB, dvd through comp/hdmi, xbox360 though comp/hdmi too...oh and sky HD next year though comp/hdmi.

Thanks for all help, sorry for long post

2. fulllupo

fulllupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Oh i think ill add the Pioneer VSX-AX2av amp (or ax4avi i guess depending how usefull ilink actually is) and Pio 585a Dvd player to that list too.

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    if you can up it to 2910 and 2805 you might be happy.....they will work well with MA speakers, the two families sounds seem to go hand in hand for the most part....worth trying them in a demo i reckon.....
    cant remember what the 2910 and 2805 can be had for at the mo, but at most it should be £1,200...worth the stretch i reckon......

4. fulllupo

fulllupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks for the suggestion, the 2910 has got good reviews and certainly worth bearing in mind. The trouble is its alot of money to spend on a dvd player that i may replace in a year, but i suppose it may be a while til HD dvd/blue ray kicks off and is reasonable price.

As for the amp i think if i was going to go away from the HK combo, i was going to justify it due to future proofing and go for a receiver with HDMI inputs etc, like the yamaha and pio. Also the number 2105 worrys me as everything seems to be changing to '06' at the mo. There isnt a 2806 coming soon with HDMI is there? I suppose i could up it to the 3806, but then all in allill be spending £1600 odd on the dvd/reciever, which is 750 odd more than the HK i was going to get! Arghh!

I guess if im going to let the amp do the switching, it need to have at 3 components, hdmi and obv 4 optical/coax. Shame the stupid pio media box only has the one component input, buggers everythign up

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    lol
    .....well you said it yourself, it may be worth upping to the 3806...heh...however if you go that far, you might as well up to the 3910 as well....*grins evilly*

6. fulllupo

fulllupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    ARGH! This forum is costing me serious money! Cheers for assistance

I realy do fancy the Yamaha 2600 though, seems to tick all the boxes. Anyone actually got one yet (or similar yamaha mayeb the 4600) and tried them with the MA radius? I can fell a trip to sevenoaks coming along again for demo, but dont think they had any yamaha

7. thomasb

thomasb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    have you had a demo on the b&ws, in seven oaks today trying loads of dvds with them and then the radius for me the b&ws won by a mile,the looks of radius is fantastic but the sound was a let down.the m&k sounded ace but too much for my yam757 amp and the £500 more.if you havent demoed the b&w against the radius please do before its to late.

only my opinion.

look great in black next to the pioneer.

8. fulllupo

fulllupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I was originally going for the Mt-20's...poss mt-30 but coudlnt find anywhere to demo them. Sevenoaks in cambridge didnt have them so i went for the looks of the MA's and they sounded great in the demo room off a denon amp. I think il have to do some ringing round and get a demo of the B&W's then just so i know 100% or it will always bother me.

Out of curiousity did u demo them with a yamaha amp? Could that of had anything to do with it as im hearing they dont match too well

9. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    thomasb, as he asked above what amp did you demo them with? they do seem to work best on a Denon....also which models did you listen to? R45, R90, R180 or the bigger ones?

10. alfieginger

alfieginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to be seriously into two channel hi-fi and had a 'seriously' expensive set up. I would never buy anything without extended demo's first.
    When it came to home cinema I got lazy, auditioning a full set up at home is nearly impossible so I just bought a bunch of best buys that were supposed to be good - big mistake!! system matching is just as important with AV.

I personnaly rate the Monitor Audio's above the B&W's but they need carefull system matching. Also not with the monitor sub, but something better!!

11. thomasb

thomasb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i used the radius floorstanders,90s for the rears and a 180 center,all kit was tested with a denon amp they didnt have my yam in, so they used the equavalent denon the bloke in the shop said there would be very little difference the amp would make at my price range and i tend to agree.

i took the other half with me who loved the look of the radius and the sound until she heard the b&w which she said were definatly better.

used the radius sub which i felt was just dull, was going to try the radius again with a rel sub after the b&ws and the mks but knew they still wouldnt catch up the the b&ws.

again its personal opinion and the only advice to give is listern to them both for me its defo the bowers and wilkins.

as far as the pv-1 sub goes how big is the room its going to be in?the as2 sounded great just thinking the pv1 might be to much?

12. fulllupo

fulllupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I have a month to change my order so I will prob go back next thursday and have another listen, or hopefully ring around some more sevenoaks and find one with the B&w's to demo. Realy want to hear the radius with a yamaha amp though too, but as alfieginger said its impossible someitmes to hear all combos.

In regard to the sub, was it the 360 or the 720 raduis? I too felt the 360 was a bit lame so upgraded to the much more powerfull 720. The guy in the shop reccomended the MK sub as its forward firing or something, but i thought it was just too ugly! Im prettylame when it comes to cosmetics of the system, and i like stuff to match. The REL subs have been recommended too me, but as i say i need to do more demo'ing!

If only i could find somewhere that has the radius 225's fronts and centre, 90 rears and 720 sub, and also the mt-20's and a selection of amps including the yamaha 2600 which aint even out yet! Cant see it happening! Good excuse for a few days off work though i feel!

13. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    lol, sounds like you gonna have some fun ;-)

have you thought about swapping the satellites for some small but amazingly good MA Silver RS1 bookshelfs at the front? along with the RS LCR centre?....then use a couple of satellites for years......the difference in sound quality for both music and movies will be a big step up from satellites.....either MA or B&W's.....

definitely recommend u go for an REL over any other sub in sevenoaks catalogue (apart from the PV1...thats the only thing that can compete i'd say).....

14. fulllupo

fulllupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I have been having a look at the silver series, but think as they are about £400 odd more and dont look as good i think ill stick to the radius. I figure my living room is only small so they should do the job. Also im realy pushing my budget....which went out teh window a long time ago!

My current train of thought thought is this:

Raduis 3xr225 for fronts and centre, 2xr90 rears, and sub im undecided but at present r720 still but would like to hear it.

Receiver wise i am realy wanting an excuse to change to the yamaha rx-v2600 and get the s657 dvd to accompany.

Realy need to be hearing this combo in the flesh though, and would love to hear from someone who has demo'd the yamaha's with the radius. Cant recall who it was who said about them not going well together or if i had made that one up!

I just think the harman kardons look great and sound great with the radius, but for future proofing and to avoid irritations with lack of inputs in pio media box, they may have to go. Shame

15. thomasb

thomasb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    cant you get in touch with the nearest sevenoaks dealer and actually tell them what you want to demo and make them get it in for you,your spending a hell of alot of money and your only asking for products in their range, they should be able to get it in from another store.

the sub i tested was the smaller of the two,as the next one up is so big i would have to take out a sofa...lol :D