HK DVD30 Progressive scan problem - HELP!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hirondelles, Apr 29, 2005.

1. hirondelles

hirondelles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm fairly new to home cinema although I have been an audio enthusiast for years. I recently installed a custom home cinema and chose the Harman Kardon DVD30 and Infocus 5700 DLP projector. I have used the system on Interlaced scan for approx. 2 months before realising that I had never selected progressive scan (even electronic engineers get forgetful sometimes!)

Interlaced reproduction was and still is excellent with the above equipment, so naturally my heart raced when I switched to progressive scan. What a disappointment! Whilst projector and dvd player performed superbly with the factory settings on interlaced, progressive threw out the brightness, contrast and colour balance by a mile! The picture was appalling. I've since spent hours setting up the projector to give a decent picture, although I have a suspicion that there may be either an equipment problem or something I have overlooked. I contacted Infocus support who replied within 30 minutes, but suggested that the problem was being caused by the dvd player. Has anyone else had this experience or any idea why switching from interlaced to progessive should alter the balance so dramatically? I'm using component video connections.

2. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Unfortunately it probably is your dvd player.Some players prog scan output simply cant match other equipment.My tosh is far better on interlaced than p/s.

3. hirondelles

hirondelles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I must admit I was thinking in that direction also. I went back over the reviews I'd read on the player but found nothing to suggest that it might cause this problem. Since yesterday I've started to suspect that it may be the cabling. I run over a 10 metre length and with the considerable additional bandwith required for progressive scan it may be that the cables just aren't up to it. Particularly as the colour balance most affected is the blue which is at the higher end of the colour spectrum and would probably suffer the worst attenuation. I've ordered a new set of cables today - so I'll post the results when I try them out.

Thanks