1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HK DVD25 or Philips 963SA?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by churchwa, Mar 4, 2003.

1. churchwa

churchwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really want Pal Prog and i have narrowed it down to these two players, but which is better? I don't really care about SACD and all that, but i did notice on the tech sheet of the Philips it says that it can only output (480i/p) from the componet out, no metion of Pal.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I too am looking at getting a Pal/NTSC Prog player, but I'm thinking to myself, maybe I should wait, as Pal prog has has only just become official there maybe soon an rush of new, cheaper players coming out in the next few months.

What do you you think?

Tony

3. BoG

BoG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a Sharp XV-Z90E projector which gives fantastic pictures for the money (£1950). I started looking into getting a surround sound system based around a PAL progressive DVD player. After reading all the mags and surfing the forums the only models on offer were from Arcam and Denon. However after doemoing them I felt that these models were over priced for the facilities that they offer and there were still various doubts being posted on the forums from users.

Philips and HK have been the first to offer models pitched at a more realistic price band but there are too many negative postings on the forum for my liking. I guess I'll wait until Toshiba or Pioneer come out with a pukka PAL progressive model at a reasonable price.

4. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have the DVD25 personally, the comments on the 963 are hear-say only.

Both output true progressive PAL in addition to NTSC, Philips after a special remote modification, the h/k with a hacked firmware.

The h/k is a steady workhorse, has played everything I've fed it. The video quality is basically good, but the deinterlacing is inferior to the Genesis/Sage/Faroudja chip in the Philips. However, with film-originated material you can get decent deinterlacing when you manually choose the correct method in the EzMenu. With video-originated material the results are theoretically inferior in comparison. The analog audio-out is OK but there's no SACD naturally.

In theory and partly in practice the Philips should be one of the best current DVD players. In practice according to posts on many different HC forums the first players seem to have a bit too much firmware bugs and quality control problems. I already ordered one but had second thoughts because of this. And there's of course the SACD.

So in short, were there no firmware and quality problems I'd definitely get the Philips. At the moment, I don't know..