HK AVR 635 -how good is it?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by porsch1909, Mar 27, 2006.

1. porsch1909

porsch1909

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Has anyone got one?

How loud is it?

Any other comments about it?

I want to know everything there is to know about this receiver please!

I am worried because it is so expensive yet only 75watts per channel! Why is this?

I was also looking at the denon AVR 3806. That is 120watts per channel. Which would you go for? I've always loved HK...so I guess I'm a bit of a fanboy in that sense!

Thanks in advance guys and gals! :)

2. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    sure seanT has one pm him.

i have the baby version (see my sig) and love it
    the thing with hk that is very well known and even respected for it is they are very truthful and conservative with their power quotes!

aparently it has a lot to do with the amps/volts something like that, and they test that as all channels at all times at a max peak/drain in power. where as others simply quote all channels and other bits n bobs.

or simple english: a hk 75w per channel will be just as loud/clear if not more so than say an equivelant 120w job.

oh and hk is known for powering quite demanding full size speakers with ease and well!

have a read around some american forums they seem more poular there.

a lot of experts also love the logic 7 stuff too and reackon its worth its weight in gold.
    im sure ul love it, i love mine

3. porsch1909

porsch1909

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Thanks...

I will see if he post in this thread before I PM him...I need the posts ;)

THis logic7 is the 7.1 I am guessing, Are there many DVDs out there which actually have 7.1? Or is it the case that the receiver will decode the 5.1 into a 7.1...

I was thinking for now to only setup 5.1 and then buy 2 additional speaker when I have some more money!

Oh and are these speakers too big to be surround sounds speakers?

http://www.kef.com/qseries/products.htm

Sorry it's a darn flash site so it is the iQ1 speaker I was looking at for the surround sound. And that has a max of 100watts....so with the HK 75/channel it wouldn't blow...but I probably wouldn't be putting it on full volume anyway!

It is all very confusing so much choice :s

4. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    as for speakers have a word in the speaker bit which is best, but u can set eah individual speaker to be set to large or small (bass or no bass) so with the rears uv prob got loads of choice.
    the logic 7 is there own sorta dolby. albeit a very good one hat experts are generally very impressed with and often prefer over the pro logics etc.
    logic 7 also does 5.1 so no worries about upgrading to 7.1 yet

5. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Prologic7 is the HK system for decoding 2-channel stereo into 5.1 or 7.1. It is an alternative to prologic II and IMO is much better - the sound field is very pleasing. It is based on a system used in very expensive Lexicon systems (a sister company).
    And as pointed out above, quoted Watts per channel mean absolutely nothing in this game. I had an HK 5500 and liked it a lot; now I have a DPR1005. The HK sound is kinda in-your-face but detailed too and, for me, better than most mid-range Japanese receivers for 2-channel.