1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HK AVR 630 issues

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by matty100, Nov 23, 2004.

1. matty100

matty100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

i just got my HK AVR630 and really like it. i am connected with speakers that are not the best for this machine. i have the Jamo apollo system.

1. will i see a major imporbment with a better speaker system like the KEF 2005.2

2. when i am in DTS mode with DVD it seems that the sounds is much louder then when i work with dolby digital with DVD - is this natural or i am not setting something up right?

thanks

Matty

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matty,

Welcome to the Forum :)
    1)Ref to your 1st question personally i do not think it will be a massive improvement but it will be of some improvement, the HK has masses of current to drive speakers so larger bookshelf speakers or floorstanders will benefit more from that amp.
    2)DTS & DD are recorded differently so the levels can be higher or lower depending on how it was originaly recorded, so it is common for this to happen.

John

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Better speakers will do the HK more justice but you need to look at much better speakers than KEf eggs...........

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree, why dont you look at something like the Castle compact speakers will sound alot better for both music & movies.

John

5. matty100

matty100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the answers
    so if i am limiting myself to speakers that are not huge meaning i can hand them on the wall what is the best match for the HK630?
    and by the way here in israel HK does not know anything about a firmware upgrade does anybody know anything new about it and what it will add and fix?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    kef 5005 are good but a lot of money

7. matty100

matty100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anybody have info regarding the HK upgrade to PLIIX?

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Firstly, superb choice of receiver!

I would second the Castle Compact speakers. For their type, they are the best for the money. Even the sub is pretty good. I believe that Castle are on the brink of releasing some dipolar speakers for the side option. You could get the conventional setup first (or even a brace of three centres for the front) and wait for the dipolar ones to make the full 7.1 setup. Oh, and castle make some of the best vaneered speakers, so they should look good, too.

Doesn't the HK630 have a 7.1 implementation of Logic 7? If so, then I would be using L7 over any of the other analogue decoding options, PLIIx or otherwise.

The HK line of receivers are very flexible, and can store different speaker output levels for different decoding methods. In this way you can "even out" decoding descrepancies to an extent. However, as Recruit said, some DTS recordings are purposefully louder than DD and vice versa. In this case, you will just have to adjust the overall volume.

Russell

9. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Firmware upgrade for PLIIx is still not available as yet. It still hasn't been decided if it will a downloadable upgrade or a return to dealer upgrade. With regards to different levels between DTS and Dolby etc make sure you have balanced all the modes to the correct levels. The AVR630 stores each mode seperately and you have to enter each mode one at a time to store the channel levels rather than just do one master channel level setup.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Its got logic7 forget PL11x...use logic 7 baby

11. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to agree Logic 7 on the HK sound so much better than PLIIx it does a much more convinceing Job!!

John

12. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Logic 7 on the HK630 can't be applied to 5.1 sources though ;) . The new HK635 gets full blown Logic 7 however. Also before everyone goes gooey eyed about Logic 7 it doesn't cope particularly well with weak analogue signal inputs (from satellite) and the centre channel bleeds into the surrounds. PLII is far more stable in that regard. Once the HK630 gets it's PLIIx upgrade I'll see if that's just as stable. For digital sources Logic 7 is very good indeed.

13. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    The Kef 9000s would be a very good match for the HK AVR630, partnered with a REL Q400 subwoofer it wouold sound awesome. It might seem a lot of money but bear in mind that you've spent £1000 on a single component whereas a 5.1 channel speaker package is 6 speakers, one of them with their own amp. I would look at it this way:

5.1 channel speaker package = 6 speakers = 3 pairs of speakers = 3 components

Therefore I would look at a budget of about 3 times that of each of the other components for the speaker package. So if you have a £1000 DVD player, a £1000 AV Receiver I would budget around about £2500-3500 for a suitable speaker package to complement the rest.

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When is HK brining out a Flagship Amp? as the 8500 has not been replaced yet!

John

15. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 7300 is still their Flagship in the USA. I'd assume a replacement is due fairly soon seeing as the 435/635 etc are gearing up for release.

16. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It should be a good one as the 8500 is still an awsome Amp :thumbsup:

John

17. matty100

matty100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is anybody familiar with the system audio (SA) 1730 floor speakers and if so how would they compare to JEF 5005?