1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HK AVR 525 vs. Panasonic SA-RX25

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lytalbayre, Oct 14, 2004.

1. lytalbayre

lytalbayre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, new to the site! Looks great by the way!

Currently I have the Panasonic SA-RX25. I can't complain about this unit. It sounds pretty good and I bought it for an excellent price!

However, I recently upgraded my speakers to the Athena Audition Series. I'm sure these speakers and the Panasonic will sound fine together, but I was possibly thinking about upgrading my receiver as well. Might as well get it over with in one shot, eh?

So the receiver that looks the best and has the best reviews within my price range is the Harmon Kardon AVR 525 or AVR 430.

In your guys' opinion (cause you are the experts) how does the HK compare to the Panasonic, or vice versa? Will there be this astonishing difference. I would attempt to audition, but how often do you get to audition the receiver you want with speakers you already own?

Looking for some advice and or recommendations.

Thanks all.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    AVR 430 is cracking mate build not the worlds greatest and its main week point not familiar with your speakers but have a search around here.

I guess you are in the US? This i a mainly UK based forum but has plenty of members worldwide....

3. Spoonfed

Spoonfed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im "guessing" you mean pansonic XR25 not RX25?

I would not class that as an upgrade (ie going to the HK, unless you like perhaps " warm" aka "coloured" sound with less detail them maybe you will see different). What are the specs on your speakers? Ie Eff and ohmage?

I have an XR45 Panny of which upgraded my Denon 1602. The other "contenders" (amounst others) but these i also home auditioned Arcam AVR300 and Denon 3805.

still happy as larry with the little panny........ esp for 2ch work, the others sound like they are stuck in reverse, with a plug up the exhaust pipe, and a rev limit like a diesel :)
    (oh audio terms. Panny has great dynamics, is fast, good bass (fast, good hit), is very clean, good sound stage and loads more resolution)

Yeah its not the "powerhouse" compared to the 3805 or AVR300 but ample for my Quad 12L's and Quad Centre (Wharfdale rears) my room is only 3m x 4.2m

Keep the panny if it has enuf for you room/speakers. It is the first AVR i put in my room when "looking" for an upgrade on my Denon that made me sit up and go WOW!!!

While its "not there" i compare it to more how my quads sounded when i tried them on mates Music Fiedlity 2ch Integrated with Naim CD player!!!!

A few threads on modded XR45's vs $8k USD 2ch separates setups...... gives an indication if you want to "Mod" the unit for a bit more. (definately worth reading all of the threads)

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=7542&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=6281&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

and a little comparo of a std 45 vs 2ch solid state and 2ch valve amps (don't see to many recievers compared "well" in this regard? does one)

http://www.stereotimes.com/amp040104.shtm

While the XR25 is supose to be not quite as good as the XR45 (which is apparntly the best out of the 25, 45, 50) apparently it is very close.