1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HK Amp & Infinity Speaker Advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by scollops, Jan 30, 2004.

1. scollops

scollops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AMp is HK 5550 and Infinity Oreus 5.1's

Firstly trying to connect amp to TV using component then DVD into Amp - picture distorted and appears to be rolling.

Q. Is this a signal problem/conversion although the DVD is a HK 2550. DVD connected direct to TV is perfect.

Q. On setting up speakers on the amp config (OSD) - whats the best settings, front Large the rest small and Sub LFE (L/R) ?

Q. X-Over all seem to have default 100hz, although there is no option for the Sub (nothing listed), but the infinity manual says turn vol to max on sub the cross over tuner on the amp becomes useless when using LFE setup. So how do I set x-over on amp if its not displayed ??

Lastly - I was using EZ setup to try to get a quick setup, is this normal to get quite a difference in db beween speakers, eg surround left was +5, right was +8 , font L/R +4 and centre -1.

Would be grateful for any advice on this setup - as I have only just go it.

Thanks
    :smashin:

2. scollops

scollops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm low on responses today.....

Anyways for future HK technical - confirmed that Monitor should be ok its just straight through - so fault is possible relay (apparently common on new amps) ?????

X-Over setup as speakers - setup as small, X-over will not be displayed as they are tied in.

Speaker settings are correct and need to be set up for all inputs and surround settings (hmm long time).

So guess the amp is on its way back to supplier for repair then.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    What TV are you connecting it to?
    PS I sent you a couple of PM's that havent been read you mighht want to check them.
    EZ setup levels seem a bit out but it depends where you put the remote and where you stood. X-over is best set on sub with an SPL meter and just volume to eliminate boom.

4. scollops

scollops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hornydragon - my aplologies browser not poping up, just checked it now - cheers for that - to be honest I did call, didnt have the the details then though (Doh !) - mind you got a good price for this lot - well that may change now looks like its going back.

Just wanted the monitor out to work - but no joy

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Have you tried S-video monitor out?
    Where did you get it from?
    If you let me know what display its connected to and what cables your using i'll have a think, if it is scrolloing it sounds like a sync issue

6. scollops

scollops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I have tried 2 x component cables (montster and Supra) , both work fine directly plugged into TV - TV is Panasonic TH42PA20 built in tuner.

DVD is 2550 Progressive, Pal60 (dosent matter really)

If I plug in to DVD component and out of monitor component - looks distorted. Like it needs horizontal hold adjusting and colours out too.

HK rekon this is possible relay fault on a component.

I am using the Svideo Monitor out for the OSD fine, bit jumpy but works fine. Havent tested the other connections yet (still in work) that will be my next option.

Purchase from HiFi Confidential

Its not looking good for the amp - speakers look good though.......
    :(

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    sounds like amp will have to go back mate, disadvantage of buying online, you should have used a local dealer.;) good luck getting it swapped out anyway.