Hivizone.com

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NeoBlade, Aug 1, 2002.

1. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys. I was just wondering if any people on this forum have bought from these guys before, and if so how was the service? I've been told that it was okay to buy from them but here is my situation...

I just ordered the Philips Q50 from hivizone, but hit a problem... First I forgot to specify what card I was using and hivi told me to go back and fix it... So I did. I clicked on the submit button and lo and behold my transaction was declined and it told me to go back again. So I did. Checked the details 3 times and clicked on submit and all I see now is a duplicate transaction message.

I could only find one email address on the site ([email protected]) and am now waiting for a reply... Should I be worried about the declined transaction and then the duplicate tranaction messages? Do they send out a confirmation email when they have received an invoice like other sites?

The site design doesn't fill me with any sort of confidence but I have been told by some users that its a very good site. How did you guys find the feedback service from this company?

If anything I honestly hope that the transaction was well and truely declined so I can order this player elsewhere because even with SSL and credit card purchases, it doesn't have the aura of being safe. Since I just ordered it I will give hivizone time to reply to my email and if any money have been moved then I know what to do. It certainly wasn't as smooth as I'd thought it would be, so if there are any hivi customers out there I'd like to hear from you ^_^

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Just ordered a Philips 962SA from them, it was the same as every other site I have used, they send an e.mail confirmation. I noticed that they have an instruction which said not to hit the back button after the transaction or it registers your order twice, so maybe this is whats happened. I ordered a widescreen television from Comet the other day and they tried to send two, so they may have the same problem. Hope this helps

Karl

3. JamesOD

JamesOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I had the same problem ordering the same player from them it turned out that my bank had declined the transaction thinking my card had been stolen once I spoke to my bank and re-ordered the player arrived within 4 days with a nice £80 customs charge on top :( :(

4. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I just looke at their website...sheesh...does one of them have a teenage son who writes the html in his bedroom!!

I see what you mean about bad aura!

Let me know how you guys get on with your players though...I am interested in them because of the specs...PAL & NTSC Prog! wooohoo! :cool:

5. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Where are HiViZone based anyway?

6. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i havent orderd yet from them but i have had a few emails from them.
    they are based in hong kong
    how are you planning to convert the power in the q50 as i was thinking of this ?
    is it a easy job?

7. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Based in Hong Kong. Their deliveries have been known to be very slow.... and the delivery charge is legendary! If you want to know more check out the Nintaus threads here and at AVSforums.com

8. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm.. I was told to hit the back button anyway, but I think JamesOD hit the nail on the head...

I had that happen to me once before so I might have a word with my bank about it. I know that the customs charge will be huge, but then if you do the math... $435 + $80.5 = $515.50 (£329.60). Add the customs charge to that... £329.60 + £80 = £409.60.

£409 for a DVD player that can do NTSC and PAL progressive scan, multi-region and plays back MP3 files, VCDs, CD-RWs, CD-Rs, etc etc all with great quality... Isn't bad at all. The next rival that can do both PAL and NTSC prog.scan is the Arcam at £1,200. Well worth the cash? I think so...

lol that was my initial thought as well. I have been told though that its fairly reputable and indeed you won't fins any deals like this anywhere else on the net. I found one place that were willing to ship the DVD player to me ($499) with the shiping cost of $150!

I have stepdown converter like for my Gamecube. Its rated as a 100W setdown converter so it should be fine. If not then I'll buy one with a higher power rating.

9. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have ordered the 962 from Hivizone four days ago. Received order confirmation within minutes and a second email two days later saying it had been despatched which included a tracking number. The tracking says 'No information available' at the moment which doesn't sound very promising for an early delivery.
    But as others have said, where else can you get this performance per pound, and I should be safe using a credit card shouldn't I?

Will let you all know how I get on.

Technophobe

PS Anyone tried one of these with the Sharp 9000E?

10. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Hi,

I bought my Skyworth dvd player from them (just over a year ago) with no problems. I got stung for tax and duty but that's always a possibility when you import something.

Brian

11. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to update, the order went though this time so fingers crossed! ^_^ Customs charge is always annoying but even if you add that to the total you are still getting a great deal. BTW, what converter are you guys using and at what rating? (in terms of Watts).

Also bxd, did you leave the DVD player on at all times with the converter on? I have used my Gamecube with its converter for many hours without a problem... Was just wondering if a DVD player would be the same.

Thanks for the replies.

12. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Just checked the specs for both Philips players on the Hivizone site.

It states
    Voltage: 100-240V 50/60Hz

In view of this, is there any need for a power converter/step down?

13. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point since I think that HK and that use the same power supply as we do. I'll find out once I have a look at the plug I suppose because the last thing I want to do is to plug the DVD player in and fry it >_<

14. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought my Nintaus 9769 from HiVizone about 6 months ago.
    They really ****ed me off. I pre-ordered my player at a time that they said delivery would be in a couple weeks. In the end, it took THREE MONTHS. Also, the review of the 9769 on their website made no mentions of the problems with the 9769. Once all the customers finally got their players and found all the issues, HiVizone did nothing to help us.
    I still have the player because sending a it back to them costs a fortune, plus I would have lost the customs and VAT duties that I paid to import it.
    Nintaus did finally release a firmware which improved the issues of the player better, so I'll keep it until the perfect pal prog player comes along at a reasonable price, ie less than £800. I am hedging my bets on the European version of the Philips 963sa(NOT 962) which will retain the faroudja de-interlacing. I will buy it in the UK from a shop that I can walk into and see it. Do a search for 963 for info on it.
    But I definately won't buy anything from HiVizone(or anywhere in Hong Kong) again.

15. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My experiences were similar. You have been warned.

16. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bummer... Then again I tend to do an awful lot of reasearch into anything I buy beforehand, so I know of any faults/issues of the given equipment. Simply doing no homework on something that costs £800 or more is a bit silly IMO.

The Philips 963SA has my vote, but we've known this player for months on end now and no new details have popped up on the net. IMO it would be the best PAL prog.scan player for its price alright and I'm sure it could be hacked for NTSC playback too. No idea bout the price though.

If only Philips didn't remove the chip from the Q50.. Life would be easier...

17. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick update... I have received an email from Hivizone about the voltage issue. Heres what they said...

No, you don't need a stepdown converter. The DVD player is compatible with the voltage from 100V to 240V. You just plug it and it will operate.

Sound good enough to me. As for ordering from HK sites, its been fine for me in the past. I tend to order some things from www.lik-sang.com but then thats for videogame related stuff... Although I wouldn't buy any US games off them because its damn expensive.

18. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Neoblade, any sign of your DVD yet. Since ordering and receiving an order acknowledgement I have heard nothing, that was 4 days ago. Sent them an e.mail yesterday, if I dont hear anything I may consider cancelling after reading of Wsquareds experiences. Can you let me know how you get on.

19. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No reply just yet mate. If this falls through then the Philips 963SA is my backup choice. I DLed the user manual for it some time ago and its rather decent indeed. I ordered mine on the 2nd August, so I'm not in a panic mode just yet. They are after all based in HK so I asked about their stock status yesterday. When I get more news, you will too mate.

20. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The good news...
    Ordered my 962 Monday 29th July, received email saying it had been shipped on 31 July, received letter from my local Parcel Force that it is available to collect as soon as I have paid duty on 2nd August. Pretty good going I think.

The bad news is that our UK customs have cocked-up the duty payable by incorrectly reading the goods value from $690 to $890 and now demand £120 duty. I don't think so!! Will be on their case first thing Monday morning.

Why is it always the Uk operation that lets us down on such things!!
    Never mind it would still be good value even with the £120 duty.

Technophobe

21. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £120... Ouch. I thought it was bad for my Gamecube when I had to pay £40 at the door, mind you I know that it will be almost double that for my DVD player once it arrives.

Can't wait too since Lord of the Rings was just shipped to me as well as Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube. All is well.

22. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Today I received confirmation that Hivizone have shipped the Philips player, so allow 2/3 days and it should be here, so fingers crossed. I have a brand new screen and projector that are waiting to be hooked up. Time to dig out Matrix again.

23. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I got my Philips 962SA from them a few weeks back. I had to wait a week or so for them to get stock but delivery was only 3 days I think. The 962SA is actually produced in Hungary and comes with a UK power cable in the box - you just plug it in as normal.

HiViZone can take a day or so to reply to e-mails but they are always friendly and helpful.

24. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, my player has been sent today actually so it shouldn't be too long now. Very eager to try it out with my R1 DVDs ^_^

25. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    So, what do you think of it then?
    Did you buy for its prog scan?

26. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Yup PQ is excellent, and SACD is nice.

My only complaints are response to commands from the remote is a bit slow and layer changes are a bit more of an ordeal than they were on my Sony DVP-S7700.

27. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have received my player now too.
    Picture detail is quite stunning compared with my old Tosh SD-210e which some say compares well with most good mid range players. Have not really had much of a chance to play with it yet, but noticed the picture was much darker than the Tosh and needed the PJ setting up again.
    Will post again when I've properly tried the NTSC and PAL progressive modes.

BTW. I know it's a bit late now but does anybody know if the Sharp 9000E supports PAL Prog for sure, and will report it as such i.e. 576P ?

Technophobe

28. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just received my DVD player ^_^ Customs was £84.74 though... I haven't even looked at it yet because the delivery person woke me up. Plus my Eternal Dakrness arrived today too ^_^ I'll be back in a few hours to give out my results, probably on the old Q50 thread.

29. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Yep, mine arrived early yesterday morning. Hooked it up to thPJ everything works fine. Paid exactly the same tax and duty as Neoblade.

Would I use them again, definitely. a week and a bit from ordering to delivery I think thats ok.