Hivizone.com

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Oblivion, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Has anyone here used the above?? Im looking to buy the Philips Q50

Are they reliable? how long do you have to wait??

Do you have any other suggestions for companys who inport DVD players??

Many thanks

Paul

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I used them for a Nintaus. Very slow 6 weeks plus. Sorry, no better suggestions.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Used them for my Philips 962SA, no complaints at all, about 2 weeks to arrive, would recommend and use again (the player is fantastic!)

Cheers
    Andy

4. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe I've been looking at the Q50 for some time now as well Oblivion, it just looks the part and now with the hacks can do PAL and NTSC prog scan ^_^ I've had next to no luck finding other good US/HK sites that sell the Q50 and 962SA. I remember looking at the original Q50/962 post and the peeps there had bought it from hivizone... Even if the site looks dodgy it seems to be reputable.

Been keeping tabs on a recent thread as well where one person asked about the video performance of the Q50 Vs Philips 962SA... If the video performance is that much better then the 962SA will get my vote. If its only marginal then I can live with it for the MP3 support of the Q50.

Now all I need to do is to wait a few more days for my TV...

5. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Neo Blade

I think we have the same taste :)

For what its worth I have found a few US sites that sell the Q50, just none that ship outside the US :(

Paul

6. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I sent an email to hivizone asking about the Q50 and 962 and heres the reply.

Hi there,
    im interested in the 2 Philips DVD players you have that do PAL and NTSC
    progressive scan. The Philips Q50 and the Philips 962SA.

Firstly im not bothered about SACD and the player is to go into the Panasonic PT AE100 projector.

Is there a difference in picture quality between these 2 players as like I say the SACD is something im not bothered about.

*There is no visible difference in picture quality between the 2 DVD players. *

Ive heard bad things about problems with the Q50 has this been resolved now with new firmware etc. If theres no difference in picture quality id go for the Q50 as ive heard its the same as the 962sa but without SACD playback..correct??? And you can definalty say BOTH these players do NTSC and PAL progressive scan.

*The problems of Q50 have been solved after the firmware upgrade is released.
    If you do not need SACD playback, Q50 should be your choice. Both DVD players can output NTSC and PAL progressive scan.

We look forward to your order! *

7. johnm60

johnm60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Andy
    When you bought your player form hivizone, did customs and excise add charges for import ? Or were there any other charges (besides shipping) that you had to pay?
    Cheers
    John

8. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oblivion, hehe yeah, soon enough we'll end up having the same AV rig <g> I've read a report elsewhere that the Q50 produces slightly more noise than the 962SA... Just wanted someone else to have their say.

I would expect a heft customs charge alright since (if I've read this right) they ship from Hungary, to HK, then to the UK. I was charged £40 for my import Gamecube (HK to UK.. Damn UPS but to be fair, they were quick) so I would expect more for a DVD player.

Plus the Q50 has MP3 support which is a bonus... God knows about the quality of its decoder though.

9. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Check here for a review.

Paul

10. McPastry

McPastry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh, been reading up a bit on these two players myself. I know both are PAL / NTSC capable, it's just that I downloaded the manual for the Philips from their webby and it states that the 'auto' PAL / NTSC selecter only works if you are using a composite video connection, otherwise you have to do it manually. Surely this can't be right? (and yes I am a lazy get).

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Customs etc charges came to approx £75. All in the 962SA cost me about £550 and I consider it a bargain, the picture quality is superb!

Cheers
    Andy