HIVE SECURITY HOME ALARM SYSTEM

piccadilly

Standard Member
HIVE SECURITY HOME ALARM SYSTEM

We live in a large, 2 storey, detached house that is approached via a 130 ft (40 metre) private drive. The property has 5 bedrooms, two reception rooms and a large kitchen. The overall square footage of the house is 3,000 sq ft (280 sq metres).

There are 6 ground floor door entry points, and 4 sliding door entry points.

The current house alarm system is provided by a local electrical company. The system was installed before we purchased the house and is unreliable. It is linked to a response centre who inform us in the first instance if the alarm is triggered, failing this they will contact a key holder.

We are finding it increasingly difficult to find reliable, willing key holders as our neighbours our now in their 80’s so this is a real problem.

We currently have Hive devices installed in the house to control the heating and lighting via a Hive hub and generally they work well. The system includes two powerful external floodlights connected to a Hive plug in the loft. Everything is easily controlled from our iPad and iPhone.

We are now considering installing the Hive home security alarm system by fitting two external cameras and two alarm boxes one at the back, and one at the front of the house, a number of internal sensors and an internal camera.

I have assumed that:-

Camera
  • I will be notified, via my iPhone, when the external camera senses motion.
  • More than one iPhone can be alerted
  • Hive don’t offer a monitoring service
Alarm
  • If the alarm is triggered, I can check whether there has been an intruder and phone the police. If no intruder in the house, turn the alarm off?
  • We can link the two external floodlights to the alarm?
Concerns
  • Sensitivity of the internal sensors, resulting in false alarms sounding and disturbing people.
  • The external camera only covers about 40 ft in daylight and 15ft night vision. Would I have to install cameras at a lower level to maximise the coverage of the front of the house and drive?
  • Could the offender (in order to avoid detection) easily cover or manipulate the camera? (although by which time their image would have been forwarded to me – I assume?)
  • Would I be constantly notified if, for example, I am walking up the drive or mowing the lawn etc.? or is there a turn off mode?
  • If we are out of range of reliable wi-fi whilst away from the property. Or if we have to turn off or mute our iPhones, then this presents a period when we cannot monitor the system.
  • Perhaps we could link the alarm to a smart watch that vibrates in the situation above?
  • Overall reliability of the security system.
  • I am checking if this method of protection is acceptable to our house insurers.
  • Is our wi-fi system capable of coping with the additional load of an Alarm System?
Our Current BT Halo Wi-Fi Supports
  • 2 iPads and iPhones
  • 2 Roku devices
  • 4 Hive plugs
  • 4 Hive light bulbs
  • 2 Hive thermostats
  • 9 SONOS “Play 1” speakers
  • 1 SONOS Beam sound bar
  • 1 SONOS amp.
  • 1 BT Box
  • 3 BT Wi-fi extender disks

Any thoughts on any, or all, of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom