Hive in my new home

Hairballz9

Novice Member
Reaction score
HI
I've moved into a house with Hive installed and I don't know how to work it!
I rang British Gas and bought a new hub, and have registered an account, but I can't get the devices to connect.

I have the hub connected to the router.
There is a receiver on the wall next to the boiler
There's also a front plate or something on the boiler
and there's a thermostat (from Googling, it looks like one of the old ones)

I don't understand it all.
The boiler front plate has a red light. If I switch the boiler off and on, it goes green for a while, then back to red.
If I press 'central heating' on the receiver, it goes green and flashes but doesn't connect. It also turns the thermostat onto auto, when I had it on manual.
The app tries to connect for ten minutes then fails.

My only possibility at the minute is that it's all too far away. The router is downstairs with the hub, so it's some distance. That's where the previous ocupants had it though...unless it's that my internet connection isn't as good. I've ordered a booster to see if that is it.

Or am I doing something wrong?
I need a idiots guide! Can anyone help?

Thanks.
I've already read that though (several times!) and followed it all, but nothing helps.
I can't find anything else on the internet other than that and the official website with a faq. I've emailed them for help too.

For problems like the one you describe, it does say in the leaflet to call Technical help.

Hopefully they will be usefully reactive to email too.

Thanks.
I've already read that though (several times!) and followed it all, but nothing helps.
I can't find anything else on the internet other than that and the official website with a faq. I've emailed them for help too.
So to confirm - the hub has registered (was flashing green) and the amber light then flashed for two hours (it didn't connect to devices so that's how long it should of flashed amber for after registering correctly) and was then solid amber having found no devices?

Maybe best to start with all three devices powered off. Power on the hub first once it is connected to the router. Once the hub flashes orange it is registered with the servers. Then power on the receiver and it should also show flashing orange as being ready to connect. Then power on the thermostat.

Also try putting the receiver in stand alone mode to check the thermostat and receiver work without the hub. See pages 14-16 of that PDF for installation. Do this with the hub powered off.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom