1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Miyazaki, May 1, 2005.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Saw this last night, and although the effects were quite good, the film was a bit naff. Not really like the book and Zaphod was just too naff for words.

Was looking forward to it immensely and sorely let down. 2/5 from me.

2. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I enojyed it. The effects were balenced just right. Looking good and naff at the same time. Like something belonging to Red Dwarf series 6. Zaphod's thinking cap a prime example.
    Squeezing a six part radio series or entire book into one movie is always tough which is why Douglas Adams had made some large changes for this movie before he died.
    I wasn't too keen on the ending, probably because it meant the movie was over and I don't know if they've got the sequal financed yet.

The books and radio shows are still my favorite versions of the Guide, but this definitely beats the earlier tv show and the text based computer game.
    7/10

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Zaphod was supposed to have two heads, and the way they did it seemed like too much of an easy way out. I liked the thinking cap, but the mice disappointed sorely.

I did like some parts of it, but it didn't generate the belly laughs like the book did. Maybe my expectations were just too high!

4. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd been told it was disappointing by many, so wasn't expecting much and having not read the books I wasn't 100% certain what to expect.

I really enjoyed it.

I've been disappointed by so many films over the last year or two and this was a nice suprise.

5. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Zaphod was ok compared to the waste of space of Ford and Trillian.

Sorely dissapointed in this mediocre film. :(

6. AlanL

AlanL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It didn't really work for me at all. The Vogons are funny for the five minutes or so that they appear in the original radio/TV series, but in the movie they are in it throughout, and become tiresome.

Did anybody else spot the cameo appearance by the original Marvin (i.e. the one from the TV series)?

7. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Yes from the back of his head - not to mention the Douglas Adams "planet" as well.......

8. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    saw it at star city last night (screen had a huge red bar on the right hand side that showed up whenever the screen was black - christ i dont why i go to the cinema anymore :eek: )

i have to say i enjoyed but i'm with Games Guru it was a bit of a let down but no much - but i'll happyly buy when it comes out.

loved Stephen fry as the book and Bill Bailey as the whale was very very funny.

3.5/5

Gary

9. Ciqala

Ciqala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did anyone else get the feeling they were trying to squeeze as many references in from the book but they never explained any of them so you'd have had to have read the book to 'get' them.

hopefully they'll do an extended version on dvd that adds in the rest of the explanations/background stuff to make the film a bit more coherent.

10. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    And the original Arthur Dent was in it to, as the holographic greeting when they got to the planet, as far as the movie was concerned didn't like it, didn't find it funny, will never watch it again :boring:

11. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I liked it but thought it was too short - it seemed that it was just getting going then it finished!

12. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Having not read the books, and too young to remember the TV/Radio series although i do have very vague recollections of them, i didnt really know what to expect.
    i did find it enjoyable though! Not great but good, not hilarious but funny.

I liked Marvin and the Whale was very funny too, didnt think Ford was was bad, but Zaphod was a tad annoying. Worth a watch, but dont think i will buy until it appears in the bargain section!

6.5/10

13. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Got to see this for free earlier as the new digital projector at my local Odeon was on the blink. :smashin:

Quite a let down filmwise though apart from the whale which was very refreshing. The charm of the book is the crazy situations that Arthur finds himself in and I didn't think this really translated to a film where they tried to squeeze an actual story into it.

14. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Went to see it. Thought it was okay.

Then my friend showed me the TV series on video, and now I think the movie is absolutely wonderful. I prefer almost everything about the movie. It's hard for fans of the TV show to see how inferior it is, but it is.

One thing I preferred about the TV show is Marvin. He was more like a person, whereas movie Marvin is just a big-headed toy.

I thought Martin Freeman was a little wasted, since the movie is all about putting a 'normal' man into amazing situations. But when Martin Freeman's on the screen, I don't want amazing situations, I just want Martin to do his stuff and entertain us with subtle humour. Which he didn't get the chance to do, of course.

Both the women were very nice! (Although the 'bad' woman was hotter.)

The best bit of the movie for me was the zoom-out of Earth just before it got destroyed. I wanna see that again!

15. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Saw this on Wed night (Orange Wednesdays :thumbsup: ) Can't make up my mind whether I liked it or not really. Disappointed in some of the things they left out from the other versions (such as the Philosophers threatening to go on strike). Some of the new stuff was good, like the P.O.V. gun and Zaphod struggling to start up Arthurs 'Spaceship' near the end.

Really liked the effects, and all the main characters were well acted although hearing familiar lines said by different voices will always jar a bit.

Got the feeling the movie had been cut down a bit and some stuff was left unexpalined (What was the Questular Rontok character all about ?). Will be interesting to see any deleted scenes on the DVD.

Overall, I think the style of humour in Hitchhikers might have been better done in a "Naked Gun" / "Austin Powers" / "Airplane" style where the story takes a back seat and pretty much every line is delivered for laughs.

16. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'd disagree to that. I'm currently re-reading the Hitchhiker's books and what in my not so humble but more godly opinion the humour comes from Douglas trying to tell a story and being constantly side tracked but always resuming the story.
    "Naked Gun" style humour is very much slapstick where every little thing is meant to be funny or stupid where Hitchhiker's Guide is more a normal person going through a funny and stupid universe.

As for the Questular Rontok character, well that's up to future movies to explain. Douglas Adams always had unexplained bits in his books that kind of got ignored.

17. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Naked Gun etc was probably the wrong analogy to use. I think what I was trying to say was that the more serious (and I use the term loosely) elements of the film seemed to me to be slightly out of place against the generally comedic backdrop.

18. livesofbrian

livesofbrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw this last night after hearing some pretty great reviews, nothing overwhelming, but everyone said it was worth the skyrocketing price of theatre tickets.... man, wish I waited until DVD.... never having read the book, I could go in sight-unseen, no real expectations.... but it was pretty dumb for me .... best thing in it for me was Rockwell ...... that guy is just hilarious anytime on the screen, he knew the cheese factor and really seemed to have fun with it.
    Other than that, could've easily saved my $$ for a beer somewhere.