Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by electrolyte, Feb 16, 2005.

1. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
  2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,506
    Oh no what have they done to Marvin and Zaphod. :thumbsdow

3. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    I think you're being harsh in the extreme. I'm perfectly prepared to forget the TV show, and things like their version of Marvin in particular, which was a bit rubbish (except for the brilliant Stephen Moore).

I have high hopes for Zaphod, since Sam Rockwell was pure scene stealing genius in both Galaxy Quest and Charlies Angels. It's a shame they didn't get Stephen Moore to reprise the role of Marvin, but my god people - THEY'VE GOT ALAN RICKMAN INSTEAD!!! What do you want, blood?

The Guide is now being voiced by William Franklin in the radio series, who doesn't do a bad Peter Jonesy performance, so it would've been nice to use him again. However, Steven Fry will do nicely instead.

The only thing that they MUST retain is Journey of the Sorceror in some form. If that's not in there the fans will crucify them.

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Is this film the first book, or all 4 in one?

5. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    First book I'd imagine, in terms of basic plot, but expect them to borrow stuff from all over the place. Remember that the book TV and radio versions all had different plotlines. Since Adams was involved with all 4 versions, they're all "official" I guess.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,506
    That Marvin is more rubbish, it is like a barbeque.

Attached Files:

7. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Well, don't forget the Sirius Cybernetics Corp. describes a robot as "your plastic pal who's fun to be with". The new Marvin looks more like a human Sony Aibo, which is about right - it's supposed to be naff.

8. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :mad:

9. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Mos Def as Ford Prefect.

hhhmmmmmmmmmmm

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I haven't heard or seen the tv or radio versions, only read the books. I was about 1 or 2 when the tv version was out, and wasn't even a twinkle in my daddy's eye when the radio version was broadcast.

What is the difference exactly? I wonder how they will do Zaphod, 3 heads anyone?

11. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +943
    Loved the books, enjoyed the radio and tv series. I'm looking forward to this with an open mind. Enjoyed the trailer.

KH

12. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    SPOILER WARNING!!!!

Well, Hitch Hiker started off as a radio series. The books came later, expanding on some things, dropping others, and reordering events a little. For example, the first book rounds off the whole Magrathea story, then ambles to a conclusion. In the radio series, the shootout at the end concludes with the computer bank exploding, hurling everyone forward in time to The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. This is also the plot used in the TV series. The Radio version has the black ship as the Admirals flagship of an interstellar battlefleet, about to go to war. The ship becomes Hotblacks stunt ship in the book and TV series.

Several episodes of the radio series were never used in the book or TV series, namely the planet of the bird people, nesting in the ear of a huge statue of Arthur Dent throwing a cup at the Nutrimatic machine.

The TV series featured many of the original cast (Arthur, Zaphod, Marvin, The Book) but compared to the radio series is a bit poor. If you want the genuine article, get the audio CDs...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0563477881/qid=1108660312/ref=pd_ka_3/026-9042880-9512448

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/056347789X/qid=1108660312/ref=pd_ka_4/026-9042880-9512448

Interestingly, the "Tertiary Phase" radio series is based completely on the third book, and due to the bizzare way that Adams mucked about with the plotlines between the versions, starts off with the rescue of Arthur and Ford from prehistoric earth, despite the fact that they were rescued by a rather hung over Zaphod in the Heart of Gold during the "Secondary Phase" of the series. The makers of the Tertiary Phase decided to be relaxed about the whole thing and ignored the problem completely.

BIG SPOILER ALERT

The main reason I suspect for changing the plot for book and TV, was that Adams was mucked about by the BBC during the production of both series, and he was fixing the flaws in the original radio version. At the end of Series 1, he was pretty convinced that it was a one-off show. So he had Arthur and Ford stranded on prehistoric earth, and Zaphod, Trillian and Marvin eaten alive by the Admiral in the black ship. The BBC then asked for a 2nd series!! Somehow he wrote himself out of that corner, and made sure that the same wouldn't happen at the end of Series 2, so he made it nice and open ended. Naturally they never commissioned another one! As a result, the start of series 2 is contrived in the extreme, and the ending rather weak.

All this goes to show that you can glue Hitch Hiker together any way you like, and it still makes sense, so expect the film to be different again!

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    Its the first book only.

14. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    And the director's just given me an enamel pin badge of Marvin ...nice!

15. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Can I have one?

16. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Might there be 3 films then? (I hope they don't make a 4th, the last book was quite weak wasn't it!)

17. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    Nope sorry.
    I don't like it very much ....looks like birdie poop on your shirt from a distance.

18. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    Thats the idea I think , The first film is definitely only the first book ie: it doesn't run into TRATEU so I assume they'll make at least one more ( I can live without the last two books to be honest). I think it will be good enough to warrant the sequel most likely. Doesn't appear to suck and comparatively its a small budget for this kinda thing.

19. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    This months Empire magazine have review and a four page article on it. They give it 4/5

Review Here

20. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Surprised by the negative feedback here - I saw the trailer and was very impressed! Enjoyed the books and the radio, thought the tv show was a bit poor, and am very much looking forward to the film! :smashin:
    Will also be interesting to see how it fares in the USA. I don't know how well known the books are over there (not very I would imagine) but I can see it doing very well.

21. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    There were in fact five books in the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy "trilogy"!

The last one, Mostly Harmless, was a complete travesty IMO and was very forced and joyless.

The fourth, So Long and Thanks for all the Fish was superbly written, but not as spectacular as the first three and would not necessarily make a great film.

The trailer looks quite good, but Zaphod's second head seems a bit of a cop out!

22. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm really looking forward to this as well. I think alot of the negativity comes from an assumption that it will be a "Hollywood-isation" of the book, which I don't think will be the case given that the screenplay is based on one Adams wrote himself and that most of the creative people behind the project are British.

Mos Def as Ford ? Well as someone whom Arthur has only known for the last few years and would have no roots in England, casting him as an american makes perfect sense. Marvin ? I was a bit under-awed when I saw the first pictures but as more pictures come out he makes more sense (Marvin often has to say "Here I am, brain the size of a planet..." so he has to have a very big head, unlike the TV one). The key will be how he moves and talks.

I think Success in the US will be critical as to whether the sequels get made. Fingers crossed.

23. playthefilm

playthefilm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    saw this last night at a preview and have to say it was pretty good. Security was tight though, we had to hand our mobile phones in before the film :eek: Like, yeah, my phone's capable of recording a film to it's sim :rotfl:

Very enjoyable. Marvin is just fantastic.

24. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Marvin isn't a bit too "fisher price" then mate?

25. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

26. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,100
    Also saw a free screening of this film last night, enjoyed it very much and it seemed like most of the cinema did also, hope they make the next one as the end sets up the next one perfectly.

We also had someone telling us the rules and that all phones had to be off but they didnt take our phones away from us but that is probaley because there was a security guard who stayed off to the side for the entire film keeping on eye on everyone, has to be the first time I couldnt hear anything apart from popcorn being eaten, no one spoke a word from the second the film started till the majority of them left which was a little early as after about 3mins of credits the hitchhikers guide appeared on the screened and did a scene from the TV series but by that time there was only a hand full of people left.

27. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Only seen the reviews but will see this either tomorrow or Friday. The only thing that's disturbed me is that all the pictures of Zaphod show him with only ONE head.

Am hoping that it's just a case of PR stills not showing it.

28. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,100
    Oh he has a second head but dont want to give anything anyway but suprised you didnt notice it in the trailer.

29. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Not seen the trailer!

30. playthefilm

playthefilm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: