Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection Announced for September (includes Vertigo)

The Birds looked great on ITV HD recently, actually far better than the Blu-Ray release last year was said to be.

The Birds looked great on ITV HD recently, actually far better than the Blu-Ray release last year was said to be.

The Blu of The Birds looks great too. The film will never look pristine with all the optical effects and process shots, but it's a great restoration and looks as good as it ever will.

The greatest disappointment of the set is Marnie, which looked very good on Sky Classics HD, but something went very wrong with the Blu-ray transfer which almost looks like some static snow got overlaid. Same cinematographer, it was the film that followed The Birds with not nearly as many effects shots and it should have looked great.

The Trouble With Harry is probably the most eye-popping transfer, with Vertigo coming a close second. Both were shot on VistaVision, a widescreen format where the film ran through the camera horizontally, resulting in twice the definition of regular 35mm film.

Last edited:
Amazing ! :)

I watched it again last year on a SD recording off the TV whilst ill. For some reason it seemed like the right film to watch at that point. Im sure I felt a bit better after watching it - was totally 'lost' in the film and forgot my poorly state! :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
That is great news, my Blu-Ray collection will be complete unless the studios think up a new HD format.

For anyone who is wondering, its English title is Downhill.

Does Notorious have a UK blu ray release?

Thanks.

No , the American release is region free and it is fine transfer so go buy because it is a brilliant film.

We gave them Cary Grant and we gave them Hitchcock. The least they could do in return is give us a UK release of this wonderful film ;)

I recorded it recently when it was broadcast on BBC2, but I would like a blu ray copy. I've never bought a blu ray from the US. Do discs there come packaged the same way?

We gave them Cary Grant and we gave them Hitchcock. The least they could do in return is give us a UK release of this wonderful film ;)

I recorded it recently when it was broadcast on BBC2, but I would like a blu ray copy. I've never bought a blu ray from the US. Do discs there come packaged the same way?
It's not up to the US to give us a release in this country, it's up to the UK.

US Blu-rays come in narrower cases.

It's not up to the US to give us a release in this country, it's up to the UK.

I was only half-serious (note emoticon), but OK, thanks. Who does own the rights in the UK?

US Blu-rays come in narrower cases.

Ah, I like narrow cases. That sounds possibly good, then.

I was only half-serious (note emoticon), but OK, thanks. Who does own the rights in the UK?.

I have no idea but if you have the internet, you can try and find that out yourself.

What is this thing called the Internet?...

Just ordered the latest iteration of this boxset. Its now labelled the Hitchcock: The Ultimate Filmmaker Collection. Ordered from Zavvi at the weekend and despite it being listed as in stock, I have yet to receive a dispatched email. Really looking forward to its arrival. Had most of these films on DVD but traded my entire collection of DVDs in. I threw a fit when I had to carry box after box into a 3rd floor flat a decade ago.

Just a heads-up: Young And Innocent is coming to blu.
January 2015 from Network.
Love that prolonged zoom/tracking shot across the ballroom right into the eyes of the drummer! I have a little moviegasm every time I watch that.

What are the best sources for the movies not included in these collections? Notorious in particular is a movie I'd like to own.

What are the best sources for the movies not included in these collections? Notorious in particular is a movie I'd like to own.

Amazon Spain have the three David O. Selznick Hitchcock releases. These are the same titles released together by Fox in the USA, but the USA releases are region locked.

Notorious
Notorious - L'Amante Perduta: Amazon.it: Cary Grant, Claude Rains, Madame Konstantin, Reinhold Schunzel, Alfred Hitchcock, Ingrid Bergman, Louis Calhern: Film e TV

Rebecca
Rebecca La Prima Moglie: Amazon.it: Laurence Olivier, Joan Fontaine, George Sanders, Judith Anderson, Gladys Cooper, Alfred Hitchcock: Film e TV

Spellbound

Io Ti Salverò: Amazon.it: Ingrid Bergman, Gregory Peck, Michael Chekhov, Leo G. Carrol, Rhonda Fleming, John Emery, Alfred Hitchcock: Film e TV

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Amazon Spain have the three David O. Selznick Hitchcock releases. These are the same titles released together by Fox in the USA, but the USA releases are region locked.
Are you sure they are region locked? I have them and they work fine of my player, which I don't think is multi-region......

I own these Fox/MGM titles and I presumed they were region locked as it says Region A on the packaging. I have a multi zone BD player so I wouldn't have noticed.

My bad! :blush:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom