1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitatchi for HDTV?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by esrg, Jul 16, 2004.

1. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After much deliberation of these forums I am still not sure about what screen is right for me?

I'm leaning towards the Hitachi 42PD5200 because of the DVI interface.This is because my ultimate goal is to have my screen linked to an ePC and apparrently, the hitachi's cope with scaling PC signals much better than the panasonics with DVI board?(although I am nervous that general consensus on these forums appears lean toward the pannys for most set ups)

My concern is that is whether this is best screen for future proofing wrt to HDTV signals. I understand it will only cope up to 720p and not 1080p. Is this right?

2. AndyGeezer

AndyGeezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I use a Hitachi PD5200 monitor for HDTV material, both 720p and 1080i.

I have a Yamakawa 315 DivX DVD Player connected to the DVI input, and this produces excellent upscaled DVDs at 720p and 1080i.

Note that the DVI port gives out the monitor information, so if you connect a PC to the DVI you will not be able to go higher than 1024x768, the Yamakawa doesn't do any checking.

I use my HTPC on the VGA port, and this is for playing back .TS movies, this can handle upto 1920x1080 at 60hz, obviously it gets scaled to its native resolution.

The picture quality is amazing with HiDef material, true its not the full resolution (I presume it gets scaled to 1024x1024), but it is good enough to clearly tell the difference from DVD.

You will notice:

Crisper colours (seems to be a lot more bandwith for the colour range), little details in the background which are illegible on DVD.

For example I have the LOTR FOTR (22GB file size), which is 17MBs compare that with the DVD and it is like night and day.

3. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoa. Thas Alotta acronyms! I am not worthy !:eek:). It sounds like from what you are saying that I should be safe and will be able to find a solution with this screen.

What made the Hitachi the screen for you?

Sounds like my best set up will be a DVD player connected to DVI and HTPC to the VGA port and I will be able to upscale either way?

Thanks for the help.

4. AndyGeezer

AndyGeezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Price, the sheer number of inputs and picture quality compared to anything else in the price range, personally I wouldn't touch the Low Res Panasonic displays. I plan to buy a new Plasma, LCD or DLP when they can do 1920x1080 native, until then I shall be happy with the Hitachi, building up my HiDef catalogue ready for the new display.. ;)

The Hitachi should have enough inputs to meet all your requirements..

5. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for your help.