1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi XXPD5X00 and colour management

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dUnKle, Jul 29, 2004.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    bored and having a spare few minutes I decided to get out DVE and have another go at calibrating my 42PD5200

To be honest I have been almost perfectly happy with the settings since I posted my setting but have just discovered that you can turn colour management on and off !

The effects using the DVE colour bars where clearly that with it switched off the colours seem less bright, slightly washed out and with zero bloom

I calibrated in this mode (meant turning red up a fair bit in colour decoding) and watched a few film clips

The result was actually much, much better - initially it does seem a little washed out, but switching between on and off settings it is soon noticable that the off settings seem much better - cleaner and chrisper

I then calibtated my Sky by it (connecting DVD player via a scart and the loop through of the sky box) and the difference is even more noticable

There is now zero blooming and glaring on the worse offending programs (keep a copy of eastenders on sky+ for such occasions)

Try it - see what you think and let me know

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    anyone else tried it ?

3. peejay

peejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan,

Next time you get bored, could you note down exactly what settings you have, and then post them here? Your efforts are much appreciated by us Hitachi owners. It's stunning that so much fiddling is needed, and that Hitachi let the thing out of the factory with settings that give such a poor picture out of the box.

I'm particularly interested in Sky settings. Much looking forward to your reply...

peejay

4. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thumbs up to duncan. i have been too scared to do much to my 37 5200 yet, still giving it time to bed in, i have only turned the contrast and brightness down from stock levels until such time as I feel its safe to start messing. I feel the pq could get much better but along with your other settings I would also like to know what you have currently got going.

On another note, I have messed with prog scan and rgb and to me, the difference is minimal. I have a panny dmr-e55 (which i hate!) and some good quality cables. Am I missing something? I have also changed my xbox to output ntsc to AV3 on telly via s-video and the difference is very noticable :)

Sky+ is pants atm, lots of poor pq's on the lesser bitrate channels and also have a lipsync problem but not sure if thats the crappy panny causing that as the sky runs thru the panny via rgb scart.

5. smurch1

smurch1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan, thanks for all you effort so far on the Hitachi front. perhaps you should send your CV in to them.
    Do you know if these settings are available on the 5300, as with previous posts the settings/manual are different, and seems to be alot less adjustment on the 5300, different remote also. I have based my settings on one of your previous posts, but we 5300 owners do not appear to have seperate colour management functions, ie green, red etc. to name but a few.
    If anyone knows of a hidden menu, or if a 5200 remote can access the in-depth menu please let us all know.

cheers

Si.

6. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Im afraid I do not know much about the 5300 settings but after just sitting and watching programs recorded by Sky+ I can say that the picture is now fantastic quality - much better than on my old 32" crt set which I was using as a benchmark

Quality does drop on some Sky channels and at certain times - Eastenders being a primes example - currently have BBC1 news on though and the weather - everything is chrisp, clear, bright and colourful - lovely image and zero blur

Turning the Colour Management off certainly helps

I use DVE now to calibrate - and connect the DVD player up via a scart through the scart box to make sure I also get the best settings via the TVs scart input

Current settings (for Scart input) are

Picture - Natural
    Contrast + 15
    Brightness +3
    Colour -5
    Sharpness 0
    Colour Temp - Normal
    Contrast - Auto
    YNR, CNR, LTI and CTI - Low
    Black Enhacement - On
    Film Mode - On
    Colour Management - OFF

Colour Decoding
    Red +32
    Green +36
    Colour -5

Turning the colour management off certainly made the biggest difference and has gotten rid of loads of the bluring and blooming that I suffered with

DVD settings are almost the same - as the above - just tweaked for the component input

Still tempted to get a DVD player with DVI output just to see how much better than can make things, but im not sure if worth it as my DVD picture is nothing short of stunning

Even TV programs via DVD are great - ER Season 2 for example is sharp and vibrant, all be it with some grain on certain scenes which is also present on other TVs I have tried

Feel free to ask more

7. willberry

willberry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My settings are pretty much the same (I have tried both DVE and AVIA) apart from one major thing - the contrast. +15 (at least on my set) seems a bit extreme, mine is way down (-12) and the mode is normal not auto. When I turn contrast up to +15 the picture goes all grainy and shimmery (for want of a better expression). Using the contrast callibration on AVIA I get white thresholding long before reaching +15. All panels are different though and the ideal settings for mine will not be ideal for everyone else.

8. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    :eek: as high as that :eek:

9. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    When I first had the set and calibrated in my contrast was down at abou -15 but ober time its increased - at +15 using the thresholding test I get the best contrast

I guess all sets are different

at -12 by white actually seems more grey than anything

10. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Did some more messing with the contrast - anything beloe 0 results in a lot darker and greyer picture and the DVD input actually requires a higher setting than the scart input

biggest improvement though is definatley the turning off of colour management

11. smurch1

smurch1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yesteday I got to play with a 5200 in Comet, just to try to satisfy myself with the differnces in menus from the 5300.
    It got me thinking........would the 5200 remote access the full menu on a 5300 panel??.....anyone know???. But then again, I think its probably goverened by the connection to the MultiMedia box.

would using a pc dvd rom player hooked up through dvi have the same effect??

12. jpd2

jpd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its possible it the 5200 remote may work different menu's on the 5300. The IR signal is sent to the screen and down a 8 pin DIN cable to the media box, although the menu's of the 5100 / 5200 are probable contained within the video board logic fitted to these products.

13. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Out of interest how is everyone getting on ?

Just watched Kill Bill 2 and never seen an image so clear and smart - NEVER any blur or anything

Still suffer some grain on some TV channels which I assume is them rather than me - but now a top notch picture

14. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great work Duncan although I have never had colour management set to 'on' on my 37" I also have similar settings to yours - dropped the contrast from it's default 31 to about +14 on day one and never gone higher than that since. I find that with brightness to -4 and colour saturation all the way down to -12 then the contrast can be set anywhere between 0 and +15 and still look great.
    I am really impressed with the PQ of this set in general but the one thing that bugs me greatly is the solarisation/banding on moving images like close up faces - it's ghasstly and certainly comes no where near to Hitachi's claim on their brouchure that this plasma is "ideally suited for dispalying moving images due to it's fast response" blah blah blah.
    *Nothing* I have done in the adjustments has any effect on this solarisation problem and I guess it never will - I either live with it or sell off the Hitachi and go to a set with 1024 grey scale processing as oppsed to Hitachi's 256 levels... :-(

15. saintalan

saintalan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I would like to resurrect this thread, hope you guys are still active with DVE.

I am in the first 50 hours of my 42/5200 and have a copy of DVE and although I thought I was tekky DVE does confuse me a bit :)

I have the PAL vesrion and assume that CRT settings can apply to plasmas?

Although it says colour can not be set for RGB it would appear the 5200 allows this and the correct place to set it is in ColourDecoding with CM off?

Although probably under 200 hours isa little early to be using DVE I did find that my contrast and brightness at 0 seemed correct.

Also reading this thread the contrast settings seemed to vary considerably and wonder if when passing thru the Sky box people had different settings in Sky for Contrast ie High/Medium/Low.

Any help understanding DVE appreciated.

Cheers

Alan

16. Dane

Dane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had my Yamaha plasma for 2 months, so should be around the 200 hours mark by now, and just ran the PAL DVE from my Yamaha DVD-S550 connected via component (cheap cables so far). I belive the Yamaha plasma is technical identical to the Hitachi 5200, so hope my results will be useful to Hitachi owners as well.

The settings were done with interlaced output since i am unable to see any picture improvement when using Progressive scan output and the moving images in the reference material on DVE gave some errors in progressive mode. Have also noted others commenting that interlaced input works better for these ALIS displays.

First important note is that on my display, presume same for Hitachi, under funtions in the menu you can set the panel life to 'normal', 'extend 1' and 'extend 2'. When you adjust contrast under picture menu, the panel life automatically goes to 'normal' which on my set doesnt seem optimal as the 'extend 1' setting gives clearer colors and brighter white. Find this a bit strange as the 'extend 1' to my understanding should reduce contrast and thereby give a longer panel life - the oposite seems to be the case here.
    To keep the panel in extend 1 setting you have to go into the function menu after your have fixed the contrast setting and then not touch contrast again.

Black level enhancement can be adjusted in 4 steps off/low/med/high. I got the best results with by keeping it off, this way i can set the brightness lower, get the same blacks and the red/green/blue colors match much better with the reference colors on DVE.

When using the pluge to set brightness (1st step in the basic setup) i can only see 2 bars on each side (2 & 4% above black) and i set it so the 2% bars just appear. I am not sure if is the dvd-player, the panel or the cables (cheap) which restricts the black-black bar, but had the same result with a pioneer dvd player (dv-370). Any others seeing the same ? if not maybe my cables.

When setting color, hue and color decoding i used the individual R, G and B settings under color decoding menu. it is easier to use than color filters supplied with DVE and i believe should be more accurate as well ? I was suprised to adjust the hue up to +9 from the standard 0 setting, but at 0 the colors does not match up at all with the test patterns.

Adjusting the sharpness makes no visual diffence on my display so i set it at minimum (-15) as recommended on DVE.

What I found most difficult to adjust was the contrast, especially since each time i change it, the panel life mode changes back to normal as mentioned above and thereby change the overall picture. Anybody has suggestions which test pattern to use and how to set contrast on a plasma ?

my result which makes the panel match almost perfect with DVE is as follows:

Picture - Natural
    Contrast -3
    Brightness +1
    Colour +2
    Sharpness -15
    Colour Temp - Normal
    Contrast - Normal
    YNR, CNR, LTI and CTI - Off
    Black Enhacement - Off
    Film Mode - On
    Colour Management - OFF

Colour Decoding
    Red +33
    Green +37
    Colour +2
    Hue +9

I will run the setup again when i get better quality component cable.

Will be pleased to see more Hitachi (and Yamaha) owners settings and comments.

17. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    As time has gone on I have gone the other way with my settings - Brightness is now at -7 and contrast at about +7

however at times settings have been the other way - strange but true

also maybe mods could merge this with the Hitaci thread as some interesting items here

18. saintalan

saintalan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    It is the same with my Toshiba Player but I do see the outside bars with my Panasonic E55 DVDR, although the difference appears to be only one or two points.

Sort of understand what you mean, I used the RGB under colour decoding but dont understand what (you mean) is easier (what else is there?) than the Filter card?

Me too, although freezing a soccer match I did get more shadow on the players with the Sharpness up, however as the DVE says only when I got close to the panel.

Absolutely agree here, any help welcome. Please.

Cheers

Alan

19. Dane

Dane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can chose the panel to display only blue, red and green individually. so you get a completely blue, red or green screen similar to watching through the filters. then I adjust color and hue for the blue input until it matches the DVE reference, change to red and adjust red, and green to set the green adjustment. I can get all 3 colors very close to the reference this way.

Hope i am correct that this works just like using the filters. can anybody confirm this?

It could be Hitachi dont have this feature - mine is the Yamaha model.

---

When setting color, hue and color decoding i used the individual R, G and B settings under color decoding menu. it is easier to use than color filters supplied with DVE and i believe should be more accurate as well ? I was suprised to adjust the hue up to +9 from the standard 0 setting, but at 0 the colors does not match up at all with the test patterns.

Sort of understand what you mean, I used the RGB under colour decoding but dont understand what (you mean) is easier (what else is there?) than the Filter card?

20. Dane

Dane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    with the DVE i have now adjusted the component input from my dvd player, so i would like to find a way to adjust picture settings for my Nokia sat receiver (9802) which is connected by RGB scart.
    My satbox doesn't have other inputs than antenna so i can't run the DVE through the satbox.
    I tried connecting my dvd player with RGB scart and the settings were different - mainly color setting should be lower via scart.
    But can adjustment of dvd input via RGB scart at all be used as a reference for the satbox RGB signal ?

note when using RGB scart you loose the hue adjustment so colors cant be matched as closely to the reference as the component input (hue +9).

suggestions welcomed!

21. saintalan

saintalan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Dane Hi, I could be wrong, but isn't the set up for the Input on the TV rather than the source. I set up my AV4/RGB input via the DVE, but actually use it mainly to watch Sky. Admittedly I passed the DVE RGB thru the Sky Box but was still using the DVE. Other than Sky broadcasting the DVE can't see how it makes a difference, if so I'd be interested to hear as I said originally I find DVE confusing at times.

Cheers

Alan

22. tradesman

tradesman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    having only had my 42PD5200 for a day I can see from here I've a lot to do the contrast level on mine is set to +31 which I thought was low so not played to much with settings as set only has about four hours running time on it the pq on the set stunned me with just scart connections only thing is on some freeview ch'nls ie ukgold there is a slight fuzziness but put this down to old comedy recordings will keep my eye on this thread with interest

23. saintalan

saintalan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Jack Hi

First thing I did was turn my contrast to 0 and set Contrast Mode to Normal. Although not paranoid about screen burn, all the threads seem to say keep contrast low for the first 200 hours. Even at 0 level my PQ is fine. If you have SKY remember there is a contrast level in the Services/Setup menu, which I had HIGH on my CRT but set to MEDIUM now.

Good Luck

Alan

24. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    Hi chaps , have any of you tried calibrating from a Test card broadcast over SKY ? Its something I posted about before , but didn't get much response ( none iirc :D ) .
    I have to admit to not really having a good enough try at it :blush: .
    I've set up AV4 by using the scart thru put on sky and DVE .

One thing I have done tho ,is set sharpness at 0. I thought that setting it to -15 would possibly be adding to the proccessing the panel does :confused:

Anyway next time I've got a spare hour and can resist playing Halo2 . I'll try to have a proper go at the "off air" calibration
    atb
    john

25. tradesman

tradesman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi alan dont have sky but do have a motorised dish connected to a echostar sat rec and the picture quality is stunning will try setting contrast to 0 to see if it makes any dif to my mind all this tweaking and fiddleing with settings to prolong screen life is nonsense these plasmas are so clever I think they were designed to do just that without any help however will follow the crowd