Hitachi VT-FX980E?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by GazW, Oct 15, 2002.

Tags:
  1. GazW

GazW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Hitachi VT-FX950E and would like to upgrade to the VT-FX980E, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Where would I find it and how much would it be likely to cost?

Also, are there any other (better?) alternatives for a similar price? I chose this one because it's got loads of features and 6 heads (4 video, 2 audio), but I noticed that the S-VHS videos only have 4 heads, so it's normal VHS with 6 heads vs S-VHS with 4 heads. Which gives the better quality - especially when winding through the tape & pausing (freeze frame)?

Is the Hitachi VT-FX980E any good compared to S-VHS models?

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hitachi 980 is a very old machine now. Hitachi haven't bothered much with new models, as they are pulling out of mainstream entertainment products. They want to plough their efforts into premium products like plasma.

ALL nicam vcrs are six heads (4 video/2 audio). According to a review by 'what video', the 980 does offer good pic quality - but an SVHS machine will be superior.

Personally I wouldn't upgrade a VHS recorder to another VHS recorder. I have two tivos now, and life is so much simpler. My VHS recorders haven't been touched in six months. Why not check out PVRs like Tivo and Sky+ before you make your mind up?

If you still want an old fashioned VHS/SVHS recorder - there are much better machines available than the Hitachi.

3. GazW

GazW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I knew it had been going for a while. It's just when I see some others like Sony or JVC the SVHS models are advertised as having 4 heads. Does this actually mean that they have 4 heads or is this referring to the 4 video heads and not counting the 2 audio? When I looked in the Argos catalogue (not the best place to look) I saw some models listed as having 4 heads. What would be a good SVHS video recorder & how much would I have to pay?

I think all JVC VCRs are now SVHS, aren't they?

4. GazW

GazW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, wasn't looking at web site properly. They do 7 SVHS models. I would a top of the range model, but don't want to spend a lot!

5. GazW

GazW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to mention - I need the VCR to use VHS tapes. I can actually use my TV card on my PC to record things onto a hard disk and the quality is very good. I was just after upgrading really - the Hitachi 950 is about 2 years old, and although it is very good, I'd prefer better picture & sound.

6. GazW

GazW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just noticed the prices of these SVHS videos and they are a bit expensive. I'm not looking to spend that much on a VCR (probably more like £120 or a bit more).

7. AAA

AAA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for the Panasonic 680 at £160......RGB, El.Disc...

Use high grade VHS tapes with SVHS ET and you will get approx. 350 lines of res. instead of 250 max in VHS...

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29

JVC HRJ-695 normal VHS.
    I second AAA 's shout for Panasonic NV-FJ630BS.