1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi Vs Panasonic

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by thevolt5, Jun 10, 2005.

1. thevolt5

thevolt5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there every one im new to the board and im after a Plasma TV but i need some expert advice on what to buy so i thought i come her :hiya: ,,Im after a 42" Size screen but the catch is that I only have £1600 to spend there abouts.

I have had a quick look up on two which suit what im after they are -

Panasonic TH-42PW7

Hitachi 42PD5200

Im aware that there is a slight price different between the two but very much the same in stats.

But im not sure what this means but the Resolution on the Hitachi seems to be higher coming in at Pixels: 1024 x 1024 ,,is he better quality then.?

Please could you post your thoughts and suggestions on what to go for and may be the best price or advice. thank you people. :thumbsup:

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hitachi 5200 is an older model and has been replaced by the 7200 (which costs around 2500 IIRC). There are many happy Hitachi owners, including me, on these forums as well as a lot of happy Panasonic owners.

Both give a very good picture although the Panny does blacks far better than the Hitachi. For normal viewing the higher resolution of the Hitachi makes little or no difference.

Best advice is to try and see both panels and decide which looks best to you...

John

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I would tend to disagree. The higher resolution of the Hitachi means that the screen can be viewed from a closer distance because the individual pixels are smaller, and (because it's an Alis panel) the black lines between the pixels are smaller too.

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I guess eyesight has a lot to do with it. From 9 foot away, I can't see the pixel structure. Yet another reason why it's best to get a demo...

John

5. thevolt5

thevolt5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) I all so noticed that the Hitachi does not have Progressive scan is this a issue as the Panasonic does.?

The best prices I could find for the two products is

:thumbsup: Hitachi 42PD5200 + Stand (Hitachi) - £1568

:thumbsup: Panasonic TH-42PW7 + Stand (Panassonic) - £1209.99

:lesson: Overall total saving of -£358.01 if I go for the Panassonic

Is it worth going for the Hitachi for that money,,and how many of you have taken out the extra warenty other the the manufator 12 month's supplyed.Do I need it.

As the ovious question do the bulbs blow in 3 years time? :suicide:

6. thevolt5

thevolt5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just noticed this in another post on the board " Hitachi 5200 is not 'HD Ready' "

What does this mean?

7. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    The 5200 does do progressive scan. It doesn't get an 'HD Ready' badge as it doesn't support the new HD standards but, for that matter, AFAIK, neither does the Pannasonic.

If you want a screen that is HD ready and will support the new Sky HD service then you need to be going for the Hitachi 7200 or the Panasonic 500 models.

John

8. Petrushka

Petrushka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Actually, if you have 1600 pound to burn then just wait a few weeks untill the Panny 37PV500 drops in price. Meanwhile save a little bit extra and then you can make a purchase that you won't regret after three years.

I have already seen prices of € 2800 for the 37PV500, which is just over 1900 pounds.