1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi TX100 Demo Tips needed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by zoolap, Aug 13, 2004.

1. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Providing things go as planned I should be getting a demo of the Hitachi TX100 Demo at Nexnix, upcoming Friday on the way to visit a friend.

Please could you give me advice on any particular things I should look out for (or is it better not to look out for image issues as I'm less likely to notice if I'm not seeking stuff out). Please could you give some suggestions for dvds to take along (that way I can possibly take if I have it ) and recommended scenes+chapters, so far I'm thinking (might be difficult deciding which to take as I'm worried about squishing my discs, I plan to put em in cardboard sleeves and inside boxes). I tend to watch various stuff, but action, sci-fi, comedy, are probably the main extents of my simpleton collection :D

Gladiator

Lord of the Rings (bit nervous on this one being squished up in my bag on the train etc - ) - Fellowship or Two Towers (what do you reckon)?

The Matrix (?)

Saving Private Ryan (DTS) (R1) (probably a must)

Crouching Tigger

Iron Monkey (good one to show off effect of lower quality image since its a HK film and they're original material isn't supposed to be looked after that well?)

Star Wars (I'm thinking "Pants"om Menace, though I guess I could take Attack of The Clowns too)

Pirates Of The Caribbean

I shall avoid taking any animation along (though I'm an animation/anime fan) as previous recommendations.

I'm trying to get my self ready for disappointment when I see the image isn't what I'd hoped for.

Thanks.

Zoolap

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    The opening battle of Gladiator is good for demoing projectors because the scene is quite dark and has plenty of fine detail. If the projector can make these details out under the dark mist in this scene it can cope with plenty.

that is what I would recommend from your dvd's listed. but try to find a very bright scene when i say bright i mean bright white. I think the matrix has one scene when they are getting "guns" not sure how good this will be cant remember.

Im sure the image from this projector will blow your mind for the size and price.

3. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    The only tip I can give is that is it almost irrelevant what you take to demo.

The impotant factor is to have a comparison. To describe this better, I also went to Nexnix to demo the TX100, with a friend who was looking to buy his first PJ. He had seen my Z2 and was blown away. Nexnix had both the Z2 and TX100 and ran them back to back. The point is, regardless of the film played, the TX100 was better than the Z2.

In other words, comparing 2 projectors gives a reference point, otherwise you are trying to remember exactly how the film looked at home, which is very difficult!

4. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Urban and phillfyspoon - Thanks for the info.

I think I'll try to get the Z2 demo as well. Ideally I'd compare it to the AE500, but Nexnix don't do them.

Do they have mutiregion capabilities at their demo room as I'm thinking also of taking my Terminator 2 disc along (bit nervous of taking this as it's the nice R1 double-sided with branching versions).

Might give them a ring to see if they'll have any demo dvds available.

5. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I wish that AE700 would come out soon as that is the one I'd really like to compare with.

Any Lord Of The Rings Scenes you can recommend (of the first two)?

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Any scene that has mist/fog as this will really highlight any screen door or vb, well it does to my eyes. Also darker scenes so you can get a sense of shadow detail, probably mine of moira and the battle in TT as this is also dark and rainy.