1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi TX100 aspect ratios

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by moco, Sep 3, 2004.

1. moco

moco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Just installed my new TX100 and started going through the manual.
    There are 5 different aspect ratios to choose from : 4:3, 16:9, Wide, Movie1, Movie2.
    The manual does not say what they mean technically and what each is good for. There are figures on page 13 (in the English part) from which I can deduce that 4:3 shows a 4:3 source with no special processing (with two empty sidebars , of course) and 16:9 does the same with a 16:9 source.
    I have a guess about the usefulness of Wide for a 4:3 source - seems to strech only the sides in order to fill a 16:9 frame, but Wide for 16:9 source, Movie1 and Movie2 bewilder me.
    Any explanation would be most welcome.

Moco

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Looking at the Manual, "Wide" for 16:9 signal would appear to be a slight vertical stretch to fill a 16:9 frame from a 2.35:1 movie - to eliminate the grey bars top and bottom.... "Movie 1" is filling a 16:9 frame from a 2.35:1 movie without any stretch, but losing a little of the image on the top and the bottom........... "Movie 2" is also doin a vertical squeeze, but without trying it out in person I couldn't really say.

If you try out a range of discs (4:3, 16:9 and 2.35:1) and cycle through the options with each you'll quickly identify which option for each type gives you the most pleasing result.

Sean.