Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Hitachi TX100 aspect ratios

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by moco, Sep 3, 2004.

1. moco

moco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Just installed my new TX100 and started going through the manual.
    There are 5 different aspect ratios to choose from : 4:3, 16:9, Wide, Movie1, Movie2.
    The manual does not say what they mean technically and what each is good for. There are figures on page 13 (in the English part) from which I can deduce that 4:3 shows a 4:3 source with no special processing (with two empty sidebars , of course) and 16:9 does the same with a 16:9 source.
    I have a guess about the usefulness of Wide for a 4:3 source - seems to strech only the sides in order to fill a 16:9 frame, but Wide for 16:9 source, Movie1 and Movie2 bewilder me.
    Any explanation would be most welcome.

Moco

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Looking at the Manual, "Wide" for 16:9 signal would appear to be a slight vertical stretch to fill a 16:9 frame from a 2.35:1 movie - to eliminate the grey bars top and bottom.... "Movie 1" is filling a 16:9 frame from a 2.35:1 movie without any stretch, but losing a little of the image on the top and the bottom........... "Movie 2" is also doin a vertical squeeze, but without trying it out in person I couldn't really say.

If you try out a range of discs (4:3, 16:9 and 2.35:1) and cycle through the options with each you'll quickly identify which option for each type gives you the most pleasing result.

Sean.