Hitachi TV Loosing Channels - Help Please !!

chris301up

I purchased a Hitachi 50HK25T4UK television around 12 months ago which as developed a bit of a strange problem. Every 4 - 6 weeks or so the TV guide (channel list) disappears completely and I'm unable to access any channels. The only way I can rectify this is to do a complete reinstallation as if I'd just purchased this. It'll work fine for another few weeks and then it'll happen again. Anyone had a similar issue and know how to rectify this?

mikej

Do you have other TVs in the house that receive Freeview channels without issues ? If not, then even though this sounds like a fault with the TV, it might be worth checking your signal strengths if you can - there might be an option in the Freeview tuning menu to do this.

If signal strengths are OK, I would check you're on the latest firmware and do a proper factory reset - if that doesn't solve the problem, I would contact the retailer ASAP. Doing that within the year will make things easier but hopefully a decent, reputable retailer would be sympathetic if you were just outside it.

chris301up

Do you have other TVs in the house that receive Freeview channels without issues ? If not, then even though this sounds like a fault with the TV, it might be worth checking your signal strengths if you can - there might be an option in the Freeview tuning menu to do this.

If signal strengths are OK, I would check you're on the latest firmware and do a proper factory reset - if that doesn't solve the problem, I would contact the retailer ASAP. Doing that within the year will make things easier but hopefully a decent, reputable retailer would be sympathetic if you were just outside it.
Yes. We have other TV's in the house that present no problems. I had a look last night to see if I could update software but the latest was in November last year. Nothing newer. We purchased this through Argos/Sainsbury's so, if I can locate the receipt, I'll give them a shout. Thanks

mikej

Yes, it didn't sound like a signal strength issue but worth checking just in case. There are obviously avenues you can go down if a TV just out of it's warranty period is deemed 'not fit for purpose' and a retailer doesn't want to help, but reporting the fault within the year will definitely make things easier if you can.

mike7

Distinguished Member
From your previous posts it would appear that you have a loft mounted aerial which, unless reception conditions are exceptional is not ideal. Whilst some TVs are quite tolerant of drops in signal strength many 'budget' TVs are less so. I would suggest you might consider an outside aerial unless you already have one.

abacus joe

Novice Member
I have a Hitachi TV from Argos, about 4 years old, and the remote was working but I couldn't do anything or change source etc.It switched on to say Hitachi but that was about it I think. I could press the buttons on the back of the TV but the TV wouldn't hold my choice. I phoned Argos, around Jan 2021,their technical support sent me out a USB to plug into the back of the TV to do an update and then take it back out and hey presto it worked. So it may not be fixable yourself. If you phone Argos you are sent to a very helpful technical company they use. Surely this should mean that Hitachi should also be able to help. Posting my answer because I nearly scrapped this lovely next to new TV!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom