1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi tv - faulty chip? repair or not?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by simon1, Aug 14, 2001.

1. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hitachi 32WF810

Had the set a couple of months now and decided after a while to give hitachi a call to see if the geometry could be improved. When their auth repair man came out, I also commented on how I got two stange symbols apearing at the top of the screen from time to time. Nothing untoward happened during their appearence, but it did seem odd. They aren't proper letters/symbols, but can be best described as:

`A `Q

Engineer didn't know what they were and said he'd have to speak to hitachi. He left without adjusting the geometry (I thought he'd do this on a second visit). Two weeks later they told me that Hitachi had advised to have the 'eprom' chip needed to be replaced. I explained that since I wasn't experiencing any probs with the set, it seemed pointless replacing anything at this stage, as I wasn't keen on having the set un-necessarily taken to bits. Instead, I would wait and see how things went - I hadn't seen the symbols for the last fortnight in anycase.

He agreed........untill I mentioned him comming out again to adjust the geometry. He said it was pointless not repairing the set if I wanted the geometry improving, cos the set would have to be taken to bits to do this. I replied, that as far as I was aware, the geometry was altered via the engineer's setup menu. He tried to deny this, saying there was little scope for adjustment through the menu.

I got the impression that it simply wasn't worth his while (financially) calling out 'just' to fix the geometry. We argued for a while, but ultimately if I wanted the geometry looking at, I 'had' to have the eprom chip replaced.

I rang Hitachi's hotline for spairs/service and complained. To my surprise, he backed up what the engineer was saying, if I refused to have the eprom chip replaced, I couldn't have them look at the geometry problem.

As far as I am concerened, all sets do have have the capacity for the geometry to be improved, yet Hitachi are trying to link this with the eprom chip. The original engineer didn't even attempt to adjust the geometry on his first/only visit, and at this time, he wasn't aware of a pottential prob with the said chip.

I know how to get in to the service menu myself, but why should I? Why are Hitachi and their agent beeing sooooo awkward?

Although the geometry isn't too bad, I'm sure there is scope of improvement. And like many others on the forum, I expect near perfection on a product costing so much money.

Any suggestions, comments or advice would be most welcome.

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hello Simple.

I'll assume you know a bit about what's what in a TV.<br />Yes you can adjust geometry in a set via service menus, to a degree, depends on exactly what is out.<br />However............the settings you 'save' go on the eeprom!<br />So if it's duff, your efforts will have been wasted as it'll pop back out again at any int. interval. So it is worthwhile getting the chip changed. Seen the same fault myself on many sets before. Common enough.

3. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have had problems with all makes of TV in the past. Spending loads of money does not seem to mean anything now a days. Most of the comments I have had from manufacturers, is that the sets were built to a specification. I would re-word that: faulty within Specification. Never except a repair on a set within waranty. Always request a replacement.Quote the trades description act. Goods should be fit for the purpose for which they are sold. A television should have correct geomotry. Send an e-mail to the manufacturer asking them to make all new customers aware of there new line of high end TV's that have a unique selling feature, poor geometry. Wonder how many they would sell. Using the I am disapointed that you would stock such poor quality equipment in your AV range also works well with retailers. Makes them feel guilty and defend you to the manufacturer.<br />Regards. Me

4. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks for the replies, guys, I'm still deciding what to do.