1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi statement on the 42PD6600

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ricki1980, Aug 27, 2005.

1. ricki1980

ricki1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Found this and am wondering will I really miss 'Picture Master' as its seems the '6600 is without this'

Hitachi broadens HD-Ready range with new 42PD6600 plasma TV and 37LD6600 LCD TV

Berlin, IFA 2005 - To compliment its flagship Picture Master range of high performance plasma and LCD TVs, Hitachi is launching a new range of HD-Ready flat screen TVs. The first of the new HD-Ready 6600 series flat screen TVs, the 42PD6600 42-inch plasma television and the 37LD6600 37-inch LCD television, will be launched and shown for the first time at IFA 2005.

?European HDTV services are available now on a limited basis, and are set to enter the mainstream over the next two to three years, as a number of European broadcasters launch HDTV services. Our Picture Master range gives customers the ultimate in high definition picture performance with Hitachi?s leading-edge component technologies. The addition of the HD-Ready 6600 series televisions enhances Hitachi?s range of HD-ready flat panel televisions, giving customers greater choice and flexibility in terms of performance, features and price,? comments Richard Bass senior manager ? Display Products of Hitachi Digital Media Group.

Picture Master TVs and the 6600 series TVs are HD-ready and deliver outstanding pictures, even with regular TV broadcasts, thanks to the use of an advanced technology panel. The Picture Master series and the 6600 series use Hitachi's award-winning 1024 x 1024-pixel ALIS (Alternate Lighting of Surfaces) panel for plasma screens and the LCD televisions use an advanced version of the 1366 x 768 Super IPS (In Plane Switching) panel.

HD-Ready 6600 Series Televisions
    After the flagship Picture Master Range, the 6600 series offers customers the next best level in terms of high definition flat screen performance. Offering the same brightness and contrast levels as the Picture Master products, the 6600?s have a different look with speakers located at the base of the screen rather than alongside.

Hitachi?s 3-DS sound system has also been installed, giving viewers sound that comes from all around the room, without the need for additional rear speakers. The 3-D comb filter makes a noticeable improvement to picture quality using a ?field-to-field? comparison technique to clean up the input signal, significantly enhancing the picture quality from analogue TV and composite VCR signals. For connectivity, the 42PD6600 offers three SCART connections, component video input, PC input and a HDMI port. The 37LD6600 offers two SCART connections, PC input and a HDMI port. Both sets also have component and SVHS inputs.

Picture Master Televisions
    Picture Master televisions deliver unsurpassed colour and picture performance. Onboard is Hitachi?s advanced chipset that acts as the TV's "brain", processing the incoming signal and adjusting the picture accordingly. Its processing power helps achieve an enhanced colour palette of over 68 billion colours on the Plasma Picture Master TV, and over 1 billion colours on the LCD Picture Master TV, both of which far exceed anything available from other brands.

In addition to their dedicated HDTV inputs, the Picture Master TVs offer a comprehensive line-up of conventional sockets to connect peripheral equipment, such as DVD players/recorders, VCRs and set top boxes. These include three SCART sockets, plus component, S-Video and composite inputs. Both TVs also have Digital and Analogue PC inputs for connecting to a PC or a multi-room remote controller. To make it easy to connect equipment, the TVs have a "flying" socket strip, which clips on to the side of the TV for ease of access.

Multi-picture modes enable the viewer to split the screen in two vertically, to display the TV picture in one half of the screen, and teletext in the other, or the TV picture and the picture from an AV source, such as a DVD player, or the pictures from two separate AV sources.

There are also 4-picture and 12-picture modes. In 4-picture mode the viewer can see the main picture, at the same time as viewing three sub-pictures down one side of the screen. If the main picture is the live TV programme, the sub-pictures can display three AV sources. Alternatively, an AV source can be selected as the main picture, with the TV picture and two additional AV sources in the sub-picture windows. In 12-picture mode, the TV displays a thumbnail image of all TV channels that are currently tuned in.

There are three Picture modes - Dynamic, Natural and Cinema - for one-touch picture set-up to suit the ambient room conditions. Different picture modes can be assigned to different inputs. The audio section boasts a 1-bit digital amplifier, with Dynamic Bass control, detachable speakers, and a Matrix system to give a wider soundfield - great for movies and big sporting events. There are four Audio modes - Movie, Music, Speech and Favourite.

Both TVs also come with a multi-brand remote control that can control leading DVD player and digital terrestrial television set-top box brands, plus a powered swivel stand. Controlled from the remote, the stand can position the TV anywhere within a 60-degree range to give the optimum viewing angle, whatever the position of the TV relative to the viewing position. Both the Plasma and LCD Picture Master TVs have Euro Multi-system analogue tuner.

2. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting, i guess that makes it clear that the 6600 doesn't have picture master.. and the 7200 is still seen as the "flagship" Hd plasma from Hitachi.

While I haven't had an in depth demo of the 7200 and so can't comment on how it compares with the 6600 in terms of pic quality -- although I'm aware that reviews in Home Cinema Choice and other mags seem to praise the PictureMaster processing very highly -- but i've also noticed a few PD7200 owners on here who claim that the picture quality with the PictureMaster settings turned off, is better in most cases..

I was able to see some of the Ashes cricket on the 6600 the other day and the pic quality looked pretty good , the motion was as fluid / smooth as i've seen on a plasma.. and while I wont say the picture was flawless, it looked less pixellated than many other screens i've seen..

Its also interesting, because ive seen the Sony 37 and 42xs1 plasmas - which gave exceptionally good pic quality with Freeview and I was told that this was due to the WEGA picture processing engine, and what I can say with certainty is that the Freeview picture on the PD6600 was the closest i've seen that resembles the picture quality on the Sony ALIS based plasmas.. so I'm assuming the odd are the 6600 would have a basic version of PictureMaster or something similar that gives it such good results.. perhaps its a marketing tactic by Hitachi here to not promote the 6600's built in picture processing.. as this will obviously divert potential customers from purchasing the 'flagship' PD7200.. which has Pictuer Master, a DVI input , and a motorised stand <-- in addition to everything you get on the 6600..

Either way, while I was under the impression that the 6600 did have PictureMaster when I ordered it at Currys, to be honest.. I judged it purely on the quality of its picture that I saw with my eyes, and with or without PictureMaster.. it looked pretty good.

3. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    MMM.. have just compared the 7200 & 6600 in Currys Belfast..

7200 running the crappy currys feed and the 6600 hooked up to a jvc dvd running the currys promo dvd

7200 looked better I'm afraid (damn, thought I was going to save £500)

Now no doubt the jvc probably had not been hooked up or set up properly - or indeed the 6600 - but the 7200 looked considerably better, even after i had fiddled with both..

Just my opinion, but i am now happy to wait and pay extra for a 7200...

4. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    The advrt in this mornings papaer (The Sun) clearly states the 6600 has picturemaster.

Dave, Oldham.

5. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the 7200 with a crappy RF feed still looks 'considerably better' than the 6600 with DVD, than it must be some plasma! :)

In my view, I felt the pic quality on the PD 6600 was not only comparable to the Panasonic PV500 but I found it perhaps more 'pleasing to the eye', as it had a brighter picture, less pixellation and more natural and life-like colours to the Panny.. although the Panny had a better black level which gave its picture a 'solid' look to it...

As mentioned in the 6600 thread , quicksilver also felt the same , after testing out his own DVD with both the 6600 and the Pv500 and spending a bit of time playing with the settings.. he preferred the pic on the Hitachi.

On the other hand I'm sure some ppl will have preffered the Panny because of its better black level and contrast ratio..

I guess we all have different preferences when it comes to PQ.

6. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Indeed it does Dave from Oldham

Its either incompetence or a downright lie...and they are still displaying the Samsung SD with the HD Ready logo and stating to customers that it is HD Ready...unforgiveable

And Majiid, just saying what I saw...perception is in the eye of the beholder - no need for witless attempts at sarcasm...

7. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kingsize, I wasn't being sarcastic in any way - just pointing out my comparison of the 6600 with the Panny PV500.. and i'm sure that was just my perception , others will probably disagree and prefer the Panny's crt-like black levels..

If anything your post has me thinking whether I should go out and take a good look at the PD7200.. because if its noticeably better than the 6600 in terms of PQ (which is quite likely) than I might well be tempted to cancel my order for the 6600 and go for the PD7200...

I've put my delivery on hold for about a month anyway , since we're currently doing some home improvement and have builders working on an extension.. so cancelling shouldn't be a problem.. the only thing I want to be sure is the difference between the 7200 and the 6600 would justify me spending an extra £500 quid or so..

As far the PV500 and the Hitachi 6600 - I wasn't convinced that spending an extra £1000 would be justified.. because I couldn't see any improvement in pic quality with the PV500.. with SD sources.. but to the contrary, I felt I liked the brighter and more colourful pics of the Hitachi..

8. normarker

normarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both my local Currys have taken the HDReady off the Samsung after I explained to them in simple terms about the screen res and the Trades Descriptions act. They said head office told them to put HD ready on it! Comet have not done the decent thing with the equally non compliant LG.
    I've printed out the advert where they claim Picture Master just incase I decide later on I don't like the set. In the mean time I can give it a good thrashing to see what its like. Anyone who's been missold an SD Samsung as HDReady has an even better case.

9. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    majid...fair point, no offence taken

I had my decision made on the 7200 - after extensive research - and the arrival of the 6600 at 500 less threw me

but after seeing both, decided not to panic buy to currys deadline..

i also preferred the picture onthe hitachi to that of the pv500...there goes that perception thing again

10. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    It's interesting that some people prefer the H picture to the Panny :thumbsup:

I was in the same boat when I bought (quite early) the 7200 and felt like a leper :(

IMO, the 6600 will be fine.

Don't worry about "picture master".

The thing that counts is the screen.

And the H4 is great :smashin:

11. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Funny thing that. In Currys I was with the missus looking at the PV500 and the PD7200 side by side and I was saying how much better the Panasonic looked, looking much less harsh than the Hitachi. She replied by saying that she thought the picture on the Hitachi looked better.

To be fair, the colours did look more vibrant on the Hitachi while the overall picture looked much smoother on the Panny. I am guessing that neither set was properly set up though and both could have been improved.

12. BootBlock

BootBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The question is.. this Hitachi or the Panachronic PWD8? ;)

I'm absolutely stuck on which one I should get: Hitachi Hi-Def screen that comes with various inputs that I want for ~£1400; or the Panasonic SD screen that comes with only a single input I want (VGA - for Shuttle PC running emulation, videos, music, etc) and so I'd need to buy a couple of inputs boards, totalling ~£1730.

This is driving me slightly insane. I don't know a thing about Hitachi screens, but I know quite a lot about Panasonics as I've been reading about them for well over a year. I won't be getting the PHD8 as it'll likely be out of my budget as I started my A/V setup from scratch about two weeks ago, but this Hitachi means I can buy a Hi-Def screen with money to spare! :eek:

Incidentally, I'm a very heavy PC user that won't be getting SkyHD until it costs less than a bajillion pounds/month, but I may get an XBox 360 if I can pervy about with its private bits and do more than run games on it (custom Dashboard and such).

13. maxl

maxl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am in the same predicament. Never, ever have I spent so much time deliberating which choice to make over a blummin piece of electrical hardware. The 6600 or the PWD8 are my top two at the moment. I am going to sit on the fence that little bit longer and see what everyone reports following delivery and set up. Unfortunately the 6600 demo at my local Curry's put me off some what yesterday and I suspect there isn't anything any of the Curry's sales staff could have done about that.

Cheers

Gpx.

14. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,503
    Well it's always been said that you shouldn't feed an ALIS panel a progressive scan signal as the picture is worse than feeding it a good interlaced signal. Where the Hitachi might come a cropper therefore is if the Sky HD box doesn't give you the option of 720p or 1080i as I suspect that feeding the Hitachi ALIS panel the 1080i signal will result in far superior images than feeding it the 720p signal. And don't ask why you shouldn't feed an ALIS panel a progressive scan signal cos I don't know but I'm sure there's an explanation on the web somewhere!

15. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I wouldn't say the picture from a progressive scan signal is worse on the Hitachi, it's just not any better than a non progressive signal.

John

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There won't be a choice on formats, but i agree with Jon, it's not worse, it's just not better.

17. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What do you think to the 6600 MAW, I'd like your honest opinion!

I've just ordered one and want an experts advice.

Don't be afraid to upset me now, i'd appreciate your educated input!

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I have no opinion to offer, I haven't seen one. I do find it hard to believe that a little bit of software missing gives a price reduction of £400 from the 7200.

19. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Agreed MAW, they must have cut something, big time.

Surely Picturemaster isn't worth £4-500 though???

Maybe we've all been had over and the "small returns from manufacturing plasma" has been a load of pony :(

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Maybe they've just marked up the 7200. Hitachi historically have always been much cheaper than panny SD plasma, why no longer?

21. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Possible, but a big mark up then, in that case.

The connections must cost a few bob.

HDMI (or HDCP) involves a cut, IIRC, (licensing???)

Perhaps us 7200 owners were raped ???

:mad:

I don't know mate

You pays your money and takes your choice, IMO.

I jumped in and will watch the price of HD tellys plummet :) :mad:

The 6600, you have to admit , is major competition for the PWD7 and 8?, price-wise.

Interesting times in the next few months, IMO :smashin:

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    When the PW6 cameout, it was £3k, at a time when Hitachi PD3000 and PMA400 were 2.2k I wonder why everyone else has slashed prices, while the 6600 is the 1st venture into the 1500 type price bracket by Hitachi. I'm sure it will sell in bucket loads, I hope it's a good one or it will fill up the plasma forum!