Hitachi Smart TV won't respond

Richellekm

Novice Member
Reaction score
20210412_094053.jpg
I turned my Hitachi Smart TV on this morning via my Sky Q remote. The screen came up with 'first time installations' menu and I cant use the remote to select or change anything. The remote will only turn the TV on and off. I've tried the dial button on the back but that also will only turn the TV on and off, it won't do anything else.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and how I can fix it.
I would really appreciate any help.

You say you can't use the remote to select or change anything...I presume you’re referring to the Sky Q remote...it is by design limited on what you can use it for, what about the TV's own remote?
Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted but are you aware the button on the rear of the TV is multi-function as described on page 8 of the TV's user manual?...are you able to change source?...to do this push the button twice in quick succession and the AV inputs should appear and be selectable.
You only need to carry out First Time Installation if you use the built-in Freeview tuner and have a terrestrial aerial plugged in.
If you only use it with the Sky Q box all you need to be able to do is change source.

Last edited:
I've tried using the multi function button on the back of the TV. It will turn on the television but it won't do any of function. I've searched buy can't find the original remote and because I use the Sky Q remote it's never been a problem.
No matter what I do I have no control over 'first time installation' page. All I can do is turn the tv on and off either with the SkyQ remote or the multifunction button on the back.
Is there anything else I could try?

View attachment 1494327I turned my Hitachi Smart TV on this morning via my Sky Q remote. The screen came up with 'first time installations' menu and I cant use the remote to select or change anything. The remote will only turn the TV on and off. I've tried the dial button on the back but that also will only turn the TV on and off, it won't do anything else.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and how I can fix it.
I would really appreciate any help.

I have a Hitachi TV from Argos, about 4 years old, and the remote was working but I couldn't do anything or change source etc.It switched on to say Hitachi but that was about it I think. I could press the buttons on the back of the TV but the TV wouldn't hold my choice. I phoned Argos, around Jan 2021,their technical support sent me out a USB to plug into the back of the TV to do an update and then take it back out and hey presto it worked. So it may not be fixable yourself. If you phone Argos you are sent to a very helpful technical company they use. Surely this should mean that Hitachi should also be able to help. Posting my answer because I nearly scrapped this lovely next to new TV!

Thank you all so much for you advice. It really helps to get other people's opinions. I called Argos and they recommended getting a replacement remote. Rodder53 you also said to do this, I actually went by the links you posted. I'm happy to say that Amazon just delivered the remote and I was able to come out of the installation menu. Everything working perfectly now.

Thanks again for all your help

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom