1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi should be sued over the 42PD5300

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by leamspaceman, Jul 16, 2004.

1. leamspaceman

leamspaceman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,831
    I've just taken delivery of a Hitachi 42PD5300 plasma. I started setting it up and was dismayed to find that the AV/tuner box plugs into the DVI input on the screen!!! In effect, this means the TV has NO DVI input as there is no DVI input on the AV box to compensate.

THEN, I discovered that the TV does not have alot of the features that are given in the Hitachi spec (on their website). It has minimal audio and picture settings, no multi-screen or picture-in-picture options......in fact, not a great deal. All of these features and more are given in the Hitachi spec.

The actual manual for the set shows a COMPLETELY different remote than the one supplied and a TOTALLY different set of menus. The menu system in the supplied manual is far more detailed and has so many more picture and audio tweaks. And......believe it or not......upon closer inspection of the front cover, the manual does not even cover the 42PD5300. It covers many sets, including the 42PD5200.....but not the PD300

To top things off, the set came with some protective card taped to the bottom of the screen surround. The tape adhesive remains stuck to the surround and is impossible to remove, leaving four unsightly marks.

I'm not at all happy about this situation and I feel as though I've been sold a set that doesn't do what it is advertised to do. Hitachi customer services are gonna wish they hadn't got out of bed on Monday morning.

I've had to ring the online retailer and beg them to swap for a 42PD5200, which i believe has all the features missing from the 42PD5300. They will do it but they tell me the set I have will have to be re-packed EXACTLY how I received it. Difficult when I've had everything out of the boxes.

I know this is a rant but I feel it's justified. Do you? :confused:

2. YahooSerious

YahooSerious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the PiP isnt stated on the Hitachi website, but the DVi is, and I agree with you on that part. It should state that the external box plugs into it. Maybe its the website manager who left early on a friday, and did some cut & pasting to finish of quickly.

Keep in mind though, that the 5300 is a model designed for the people who only wants one wire from the screen visible, and to make this possible, Hitachi has probably bought that box from somewhere else. This would explain the difference in menus.

Not supplying a correct manual for such an expensive screen though, that is so incredible that I think there must have been a packing error somewhere.

Good luck in sorting it out, and you could send a mail to Hitachi telling them of the error on the website, so someone else doesnt make the same mistake :)

-Yahoo

3. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,663
    Hi all , it can be a bit confusing , 500e 5000 5100 5200 5300 .But I thought the idea of the 5300 was that it came with a mediabox ,so all connections went to that , and only one to the screen . The Hitachi website , on the 5300 page right at the top in bold type says

The 42PD5300 comes with external MultiMedia Box - the ultimate system allows you to connect all your peripherals into one external box.

Why should Hitachi get the blame .You buy a system with a mediabox,why should Hitachi think you want to conect anything else to the screen , other than that ? There is no mention of a DVI-D input on the mediabox.

For a £2500 purchase surely a walk into a big Dixons or Comet :eek: to have a look round the back of the screen and mediabox. Would have been worth it ,especially now.

if the 5200 has what you wanted , why buy the 5300 .The only features missing are those that are probably unavailable with the way you have the screened configured (with mediabox not without)

I hope you manage to get everything sorted out , but Hitachi is probably not totally to blame (especially going by what you have said in the quote above)
    all the best
    John :hiya:

5. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure you stress to the supplier that the frame was marked as a result of the way Hitachi packaged the screen. If it was me, I would take a photo and send it to the dealer stating that I was unhappy receiving a plasma in this condition and was returning it for this reason alone.

It's not unheard of for dealers to blame the customer for marking stuff after they received it, even though the product was marked long before it reached the customer. If the dealer wants to get awkward, they will jump at the chance to use this as an excuse to avoid giving you a replacement or refund.

6. leamspaceman

leamspaceman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,831
    John,whilst I welcome your comments :thumbsup: , I have to say I disagree.

Hitachi get the blame as they spec a set as having a DVI input, but then fail to state that the AV box uses the DVI input to connect to the screen. I understood that the AV box connected to the screen by other means and that the DVI input on the screen remained free.

They also fail to state that the PD5300 utilises an older, less advanced remote and menu system to the PD5200 (this being dictated by the AV box) but they still bundle the PD5200 instuction manual with the screen. :confused:

I have spent months pondering this purchase and have taken many a long walk around the likes of Currys and Dixons stores. :devil: It appears that NO high street retailer sells the PD5300 so getting a look at the AV box rear connection was impossible. I even went to Tottenham Ct Road in London on a recent visit but not one shop there has the model.

I bought the PD5300 becasuse I was led to believe it had everything that the PD5200 has, plus the external box and thus only one connection to the set. I prefer not to have lots of leads going to the TV. The lack of features has nothing to do with the way I would have the set configured. You HAVE to use the PD5300 with the AV box. The screen itself only has AV box control input, DVI input and PC RGB input. The latter two inputs are unavailable once the AV box is connected. It is a basic fact that the PD5200 is a better set than the PD5300. All you effectively get with the PD5300 is two extra scarts, but at the expense of the DVI input.

If Hitachi stated the facts (both on their specs and over the telephone, I might add) then this would be clear.

So, I'm swapping for a PD5200. I can put up with the leads and I know I'll be getting a far superior set-up menu and a DVI input.

P.S. Do any of you on here suffer the 'buzz' that some seem to get on the PD5200. I'm getting nervous about that now :rolleyes:

Cheers for your comments. :clap:

7. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,663
    I'm Back :devil:

looking at the product brochure it says :

"Interface board fitting in the slot of video board allows PDP monitor to be operated byAVC BOX (AV3000E).
    24 pin DVI connector on original PDP monitor and 8 pin DIN on interface board are connected with AVC BOX."

Its on the pdf available form the hitachi website

On a more useful note , no buzzing from mine unless I'm standing next to the screen and listening to the top left hand corner, not noticable at all at normal viewing listening distances ( 9 - 10 feet for me :D )

8. leamspaceman

leamspaceman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,831
    Thanks for finding that info John.

OK, so there is some information on it.

Would you not agree that you have to dig pretty deep to find it? I dug as deep as I thought I needed to and didn't find this information. I looked at the spec sheet on the website and printed it off. Nothing on there:

http://live.hitachidigitalmedia.com...83/NASApp/DMG/viewProduct_1.jsp?productid=341

This link clearly states PC digital input (DVI).

Even Hitachi told me over the phone that the DVI connection was still available on the PD5300. I would have thought I wouldn't need to dig deeper than that. Also, I scoured many an online retailer before purchase, and alot of the sites in question give the spec as having an available DVI input. No mention of looking at pdf's from the Hitachi website to confirm.

I just think that Hitachi are selling the set without making it CLEAR that the DVI is lost. And is there any mention of the sub-standard menu, the different remote and the lack of picture and audio settings compared to the PD5200? Can't see any?

No matter how hard anyone tries, my mind is already made up on this.

Glad to hear you don't get the 'buzz'. It seems like alot of people do though...or is it that we are only hearing from the minority who do get the problem. I've also seen posts from people who have different brands of plasma who also get buzzing.

What do you think?

So, I'm back with my 10 inch portable until I get my screen swapped over. :zonked:

9. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,663
    My 2 Hitachi w/s CRT's buzzed , my phillips w/s CRT buzzed , my plasma is the quietest tv I've had in a while :thumbsup:

As for the info been hard to find , its in the product brochure :blush:

I do hope you get it sorted tho , I'm not spoiling for a fight ;) :suicide:

you should have asked on here what screen had what before you shelled out your hard earned wonga , people on here know more than any rep / sales asst / whatever :D :thumbsup: :cool:

10. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I had the same question about the DVI input back in June. "Hitachi 42PD5300 & DVI ". Sorry, I don't know how to link forum pages into a post.
    All it would have taken is a forum search on the 5300 and it would have answered you're questions. To me the most important thing was PQ and in that case the 5300 IS the same as the 5200. You state that no retailers have the 5300 on display, well JL do and so do others. I really think that you did not research well enough before you bought, soz.

11. Sicilian

Sicilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If u wanna connect a pc theres still the 'PC Connection 15 Pin HD D-sub/PC Sound'. At the end of day how many times r u actually gonna connect the pc to it?

The card & tape problem......Well I've took delivery of three of these. The tape mentioned is blue low tack tape. Peeled back slowly it comes off very easy. Any remaining adhesvie just wipes off with a slightly damp cloth.

As for the slight buzzing, its just the low voltage transformers. Take a trip down to a local store & listen to em all. You'll actually find the hitachi to be one of the most quitetest. I listened to a sony one once with a big 5" fan on the back. Imagine the noise off of that once it collects some dust.

Picture in picture is only in pc mode if the read the manualls on hitachi's site. As you read these prior to purchasing well who's fault is it??

Also if u read the manualls correctly u would have had a supplement at the end adding more info on the 5300.

Menus, whats wrong with them? They do what u need. Why do you want more confusing settings?

Why go for the 5200 just for the dvi input? Most importantly the 5200 only has one scart!

12. leamspaceman

leamspaceman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,831
    Thanks John...it comes to something when you have to search forums for info and cannot get it from the manufacturer. I did not discover this forum until AFTER I got my set. I'll let you know how the PD5200 is.

13. leamspaceman

leamspaceman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,831
    I did not discover this forum until AFTER I got my set. Yes, PQ is the most important thing, and that is why I want a free DVI input. I have a DVD player with a DVI output. This will give fantastic PQ. Therefore the 5200 and 5300 are NOT the same as the 5300 has no available DVI input. You are probably right in that I didn't research well enough. My phonecall to Hitachi...THE COMPANY THAT MAKE THE SCREEENS, would, by most people, have been deemed to be research enough though. It is only upon discovering this forum, and knowledgeable people such as yourself that I realise the manufacturers themselves are not even up to speed.

No retailers in my area, or anywhere near have the 5300 on display. Should it really be necessary to have to see the set in order to have something confirmed that has already been confirmed over the telephone by the actual manufacturer?

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Which area are you in?

15. leamspaceman

leamspaceman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,831
    I don't want to connect a PC. I want to connect a DVD player with a DVI output. This will be permanently connected to the screens DVI input. Not possible on the 5300.

I can tell you, I peeled the tape off very carefully and it left lots of adhesive behind. This DID NOT come off with a slightly damp cloth. I tried lots of ways to get it off and it would not come off. Really.

Thanks for the reassuring words that the Hitachi is a quiet set. :thumbsup:

Yes, I did get it wrong about the PIP. Didn't see any supplement on the 5300?

The menu's on the 5200 may be confusing to you...but to me they offer more choice of settings. The choice of settings on the 5300 is pitiful.

I go for the 5200 because I want DVI. One scart is all I need...for freeview box. DVD will be via DVI, video and PS2 via s-video (both routed through my Yamaha AV amp and into the screens s-video input). If I need any more scarts I get a scart box. No probs. And the 5200 also has more component inputs.

16. kheldar

kheldar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed it is confusing with the different menus in the 5200 and 5300. This is due to that the tuner in the 5200 is a newer version compared to the one in the media-box which goes with the 5300. Ok it is true the menu in the 5200 offers somewhat more possibilities and sure it is easier to use. Hitachi should have made it more transparent for us. I knew all this before I bought my 5300 because the dealer told me, although he had no 5300 in demo.
    Anyway my 5300 was buzzing as hell and is now in the hitachi service center. Have a 32'' 5200 as temp. replacement, and this one also has a slight buzz. Yes plasma screens buzz, but the buzzing should not be heard when sitting in your sofa and it starts irritating you when watching TV an DVD (normal hearing volumes).
    The technician told me that they replace one of the inductances in the transformer and then it should be solved. I have my screen back in a few days, let's hear ...
    More info on hitachi- buzzers can be found also in this forum using keywords: "hitachi" and "buzzing"

Good Luck,

E.

17. Sicilian

Sicilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :oops: Oop's did not realise you can get dvd players with DVI outputs, is it better than component?

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Most DVI dvd players, are a bit cheapn'nasty, but do give good results for their price.

19. leamspaceman

leamspaceman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,831
    I have heard that DVI gives better picture quality than component, which is why I want DVI. I understand that it all depends on source material though. If the DVD is a bit ropey then DVI will show all the flaws, but I think most DVD's are of decent quality.

When I finally have things up and running as I want then I'll post here to let you know.

Cheers for all the discussion/interest in this thread. It's a steep learning curve but we're getting there.

20. smurch1

smurch1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have the 5300, although the DVI input isn't really an issue to me. I found the manual a bity iffy, and could find no reference to my remote that came with the set, although there is a similar one in the manual but with slight difference of some functionality. All said and done the PQ is great and enough adjustment to tinker to get it right. Component Prog Scan is great through DVD & PS2, and Sky is ok. Even my SVHS playback is good.

Overall, I am happy with my purchase. Does what i want it too, connects everything I need it to.

Slight niggles: Manual, slight buzzing when no volume, solarisation occasionally from Sky, but I still need to do some setting up.

Bonus of course was the free portable DVD player. Its great in the car, We never hear a peep from the kids now :thumbsup:

21. Sicilian

Sicilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    LOL I sold mine on ebay for £190.00.

22. Yelpir

Yelpir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the free DVD offer has finished now - shame as my 5300 is due to arrive tomorrow :(

23. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Unfortunately DVI isn't a gaurantee of quality. Technically it is a much better transmission medium - but it is very rarely implemented well enough to be worth using over component output from an equally priced player. However it does give you a digital connection for a scaler or (HC)PC in the future.

I feel for your predicament spaceman. Only goes to highlight just how important it is to go to a dealer that knows what they're doing rather than go for whoever's cheapest - that lower price is always budgeted for somehow and it is usually in poor quality service and technical knowledge.

Not blowing my own trumpet here, just genuinely :censored: off with companies (on and offline) advising on and selling products they know nothing about. Destroys the reputation of good dealers who are all tarred with the same industry sized brush. Won't be long before there's a "Cowboy Plasma Retailers" show on BBC with hidden cameras in people's handbags recording some of the crap Curry's/Dixons/Comet "advisors" come out with! Hmmm, mental note - buy hidden secret recording equipment....