1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi Service Woes!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bluesteel, Jul 8, 2005.

1. bluesteel

bluesteel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi
    i have a sticky situation with my beloved tx 100
    it developed the dreaded pink blob on the screen problem. I phoned hitachi directly who picked up the unit under warranty and returned it some 3 weeks later. The unit was after careful examination was marked and scuffed in one corner suggesting it had been dropped/banged in transit. It did not work at all the lens shift slider and the corrosponding horizontal shift knob did not move easily and would not adjust the image at all. Worringly also the lens life had jumped from 897 hrs (i noted it before sending it to them) to 1089 hrs. I rang them straight away and the girl on the service desk promised she would put an order on my notes to replace the bulb.
    They picked up the unit again and left a loan unit tx10 in its place. Today I heard from their manchester service people (2nd party not hitachi who disputed the extra lamp hours and said they had merely cleaned the prism. They admitted the unit had been dropped by the courier but wouldnt change the lamp :lease:
    I am not happy with receiving back a dropped marked unit with an extra 200 odd hours!!!!!!!
    what shall i do?

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    This is sadly not the only example of this sort of thing.

They clearly have trouble putting the unit back together without screwing up the lens shift adjusters.

The 200hrs is disgraceful - I'm guessing, but it looks like someone has made use of your PJ for a protracted period. Learning for the future - sticker on the case stating bulb life hrs.

Dropped by the courier! Jeez!! :suicide:

2 options.

1. If it comes back working OK with the lens shift fully OK - grin and bear it

2. Demand a replacement, be prepared to go through small claims court if they don't budge. It's messy because they'll probably try to deflect damage to the courier, and difficult to prove bulb hrs.

Good luck, my commiserations. Hitachi are clearly sub contracting to cowboys...PJ :)

PS Have you got the name of the service company in Manchester? Perhaps they'd be willing to comment on this forum? :devil:

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    thats well strange mine has been off twice to them and its come back in mint condition (as i sent it) both times. didnt fix my VB problems but thats another story. been umm'ing over sending the thing back to france for a month :eek: dont trust shipping the gear that far

4. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is very good advice. I can only add to this that if you do file a small claim it should be against Hitachi since they are the company with whom you have dealt with and they are the ones who decided to use a third party repairer. Since you have no contract with Hitachi you will need to claim under "tort" rather than contract. You will be claiming damages for breach of a duty of care which has resulted in damage. Whilst they have added 200 hours you have no idea how those hours have been added (constant on-offs are bad for bulb life) and therefore you can claim for a replacement bulb. Your word is ordinarily good enough proof of hours and the promise of Hitachi to replace the bulb means this must now be done. Again your word is good proof of this offer.

If you have the determination to get the bulb you have been offered I am certain you will get it since the law and the courts are at your disposal. It takes ten minutes to file a claim: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk good luck.

EDIT I note you are also unhappy with the cosmetic damage to the projector. You should ask Hitachi to pay a reasonable sum to cover this or insist they replace the covers to mask damage. I think it would be a good idea to post/fax a letter before action to Hitachi UK giving them seven days to address these issues or you will commence proceedings. This often does the trick and in the cases where it doesnt a claim filed subsequently (minimal court fees, no risk of paqying their costs as small claims) will almost certainly result in success. Personally I would NOT put up with this if I was in your position. Again best of luck.

5. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hitachi UK are a reasonable company. Ring someone senior up and it will get sorted, without cost or hassle to yourself.

Any talk of legal action is premature imo, try the disappointed loyal hitachi customer stance and hopefully they will also sack the service guys!

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Why the 2 returns? And why France?
    ...PJ :)

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Agree. The odds are Hitachi will sort it. I only mention small claims as a very last resort...PJ :)

8. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    We had a similar experience, one of my collegues sorted it with Hitachi and the cust. got a new PJ I think. It's subcontracted service co's that are the problem for PJ owners, almost always lacking in knowlege/interest/helpfulness!

Go straight to the people who pay them!

9. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    well after my VB probs i set if off to see if they could sort it. it came back exactly the same and looked as if it hadnt been played with. so i sook them out i told em mmy position again and they wanted it back to have another test and again it didnt cure any VB. i was cheekily looking to see if they said it had a fault so i could get a new one :devil:

it has to go to france as the company i bought it off has their good returned to france. company is pixmania. id have loved to buy it off the guys off this forum benji, ken etc but i needed a buy now pay 0% interest free in 12 months which sadly only pixmania offered. i have learned my lesson for next time and im currently weighing up selling the hitachi to source a new PJ maybe DLP route. im in a dilema as the PJ isnt getting used as much as id liked because this VB is putting me off sometimes. it shouldnt be this hard whan you have paid 1k for a product or in my case paid nothing :devil: ............yet

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    So the Manchester (?) service guys couldn't see the VB which you clearly can see?...PJ :)

11. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Yep. No VB with DLP... :D

12. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    No VB with many LCD's either, to the extent that it's noticable anyway. But let's not go that route huh? I think if everyone said "no rainbows with LCD" everytime a punter complained about rainbows it would become a bit tedious. And we're trying to help here, not get one over...PJ :)

13. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    seems they cant see it but its so hard to explain if your not looking at the PJ with me. High def material VB ISNT there at all, that i can see. certain DVD's VB isnt there that i can see. i got the CL final in HD and VB is there but its not that bad. ive heard people say oh check blue skies and you will see VB well it just isnt there on stuff like that. the big pain in the ass is VB is all over flesh tones and its annoying. ive tweaked VB alot i must add that but its still noticable on skin tones. the weird thing is its not VB in your face its just there subtle at most times but it is there and i see it. the weird thing i found was i went about 3-4 weeks with out using the PJ over my exam period and when i powered back on VB is like WOW were has that come from. but the more ive used it since its gone slowly back to the stage i had it before just subtle hints of it. the whole situation is baffling tbh. for the record though i love the image the PJ gives its just bloody fantastic, its just this little problem. if we had total HD then i wouldnt have a problem but thats life i guess

14. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    VB can prove unpredictable. Generally the only time I notice it is on smokey / misty scenes - but even there I've found that I can watch a mist scene for a while without noticing it, then I suddenly think "ah, I should be able to see VB here" and then if I look closely I can see it.

I think the only advice I can give is try to enjoy the fantastic pics rather then concentrating on the VB. Easier said than done I know...PJ :)

15. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    PS apols to original poster for going OT! :)

16. bluesteel

bluesteel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    right an update
    and thanks to all the posters
    this really is the most friendly and informed forum
    the service guys in manchester phoned me this afternoon
    and
    1. promised to fix the prism/lens shift prob
    2. replace the lamp
    3. reset the pj lamp hours to zero

im happy with that providing the housing isnt too badly marked
    but is there any way of seeing if they have replaced the lamp or just used a master reset to make it look like the lamp is on zero hrs?
    and thanks again.........

17. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since they have proved themselves unworthy of trust and aroused your suspicion it would be reasonable for you to ask them to provide the new lamp sealed as new ready to be fitted by yourself. This is the only way you will know for sure.