Hitachi screen impurities

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by thewrinklyone, Mar 30, 2002.

1. thewrinklyone

thewrinklyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish I knew about this forum a year ago, it would've saved me a world of hurt!

Anyway this may be bit long winded but I'm a newbie so please bear with me. Just over a year ago I bought a Hitachi C36WF810N television. After a 6 week wait the installers came and let's just say that they weren't the most helpful of fellows especially when they left the surround sound speakers right next to the television leaving a pink hue down one side of the screen. After being told for over a month that this impurity would pass, Scottish Power, now Powerhouse, finally exchanged it for me. Everything was fine for a week or two until I noticed when watching black and white movies, a blue stain about 2 inches in diameter in the bottom left corner of the screen, then in the top left and now in the top right corner. This would come one day and be gone a few days later so I kept leaving it until I could stand it no more. I called Powerhouse and they arranged for an engineer to examine my telly. The engineer came, waved his magic deguassing wand, said the screen looked fine and went, I could see no difference apart from more impurities over the screen. I have no speakers next to the telly nor is it situated near a radiator. It's been just over a year now and after paying nearly £2000, I feel a little miffed as I expected a perfect screen for that price. And to cap it all last Saturday I treated myself to a Sony amp and when I put it on the top shelf under the telly it turned the left side of the screen a light brown, which still has not completely gone. Televisions should not do this should they? Has anyone else had the same problem and if so were they able to do anything about it?

Hitachi C36WF810N
    Sony DVP-S336 DVD player
    :mad:

2. sbrads2424

sbrads2424

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tubes can remember a magnetic field that's been present for a long time in my experience, and degaussing doesn't always work 100% because of it. I've had to fix small magnets near old TV's permanently a couple of times because of this, purely to cancel out fields that don't respond to degaussing. It can also be that nearby metal objects may need degaussing themselves, i.e. wave a magic wand around everything nearby.

Degaussing has to be done properly as well, switched on when away from the set, brought up close and waved around then removed well away before switching it off, otherwise it can create even more magnetism in the tube.

3. thewrinklyone

thewrinklyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks sbrads2424 for the quick response.

I take it there is nothing I can do myself then? I've done everything I can think of such as removing all other devices, DVD, VCR, amp from under the telly and I've removed all speakers from the room. The only thing I want to try is moving the TV to another location as I read in this forum a while ago that there could be interference from within the floors and walls, but the telly is so damn heavy I don't want to cause more damage by dropping the thing. Is this worth trying?

Again many thanks in advance

thewrinklyone

:(

4. sbrads2424

sbrads2424

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it's worth trying a move, but I wouldn't expect a more than 1 in 3 chance of it helping. Another possibility is that the TV's own self-degaussing circuit isn't working properly, it's a simple circuit that can overheat and die on TV's, it's not good enough to get rid of much magnetism but it stops small fields building up over time.