1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi PX-TJ100 or Panasonic AE-700?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bombastic, Nov 29, 2004.

1. bombastic

bombastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did some research some months ago and came up with the Hitachi as being the best in my price range. However we didn't get our cinema room complete and put off the buy, and now new stuff has come out so I don't know whats best at the moment.

Can anyone recommend which is the better of the Hitachi and the Panasonic, and possibly anything else better in the same price range? From what I've read the panasonic is better, but I'd like to know for sure...

The hitachi is about $2800 here (Australia) and the Panasonic I've seen for $2900.

Thanks!

2. drbob

drbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have a read through the forums. The PJ-TX100 is generally thought of as belonging to the generation of projectors before the current crop of AE-700 and sanyo Z3 etc. That's not to say it isn't good but you may well find that the latest models are better, go for a test viewing at you local av dealers.

Personally I went for a dlp projector, the lower resolution infocus 4805 as I feel the lcd models whilst getting better can't yet quite match dlp and there is no HD tv in the UK yet. However you may value the higher resolution and more vibrant colours of the latest LCD models over the better contrast and black depth of DLP. That's why viewing before you buy is important. Also think about the room you're going to be using the PJ in. Is it a dedicated cinema room? Can you completly control the light levels? What about the noise the PJ makes, is that importatnt for you? If you can't control light levels a brighter projector such as the hitachi or the infocus may be better than lower brightness models that offer better picture quality in optimal conditons.

3. Murray

Murray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Go for the 700 my friend!
    I have a TX100 sitting by my feet packed up in a box ready to sell. Dont get me wrong its a good projector but the 700 is better!
    I used the 100 for about two months while waiting for the 700 to come to the market.
    After a test run I decided to sell my 100 for the 700.
    Ive never had a problem with the VB!
    Its only on mine as the machine warms up and COMPLETELY GONE after 2/3 mins.
    The only thing I dislike is the lens shift, the 100 is much better with a seperate control for both horz and vert.
    I think Panasonic tried to be smart with the joy stick approch and its too much fiddling around to set things up.
    Anyway thats not a major, once its done its all done and over with!
    Buy the 700 and be done with it!
    Lets see if something new and exciting comes out in 2005 :smashin:

4. bombastic

bombastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had checked around but I couldn't find anything directly comparing the Hitachi and the Panasonic, and I had heard that the Hitachi still beat the newer Z3 and so thought it would possibly beat the 700 too.

Pretty sure I'm gonna go with the 700 now, going to check it out today or tommorow. We've got HDTV here in Aus so definitely want the higher resolution for that, and for gaming.

It will be a dedicated cinema room and should be able to block out most light. And the noise on the 700 isn't supposed to be that bad.

Only thing I need to worry about now is what colour to paint the screen. Too expensive to buy a proper screen...

Thanks for your input guyys!

5. Murray

Murray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    the fan on the 700 is ok dont worry,,,paint the wall flat matte white but try and buy a 16.9 screen with black masking. :lesson: