Hitachi PVR has completely frozen - help!

cyclingdan

Standard Member
My Hitachi HDR255 PVR has completely frozen.

By frozen I mean that it displays a still picture, but you are unable to change channels or access any other function.

At the time it froze we were trying to go into the Guide to set a programme to record. For a few days prior to this the device had been intermittently hanging when we tried to set recordings, but the problem was always resolved by turning it off at the mains, and then restarting.

However on this occasion turning it off and on at the mains doesn't have any effect - it just goes back to the frozen picture.

When you turn it off and on it appears to boot up as normal and there are not obvious warning messages on the display.

Last edited:

MartinPickering

Yes, buy a used (working) or new HDR255 and swap the Hard Drives over. Of course this will work only if the existing Hard Drive isn't faulty.

Futaura

Don't read too much into reviews from people who do not know what they're talking apart. That review was almost certainly from a user affected by the ill-fated v4.6/4.8 software updates.

How old is your box and which software version is it running?

My advice is to perform a First Time Installation via the menus - if you are having trouble accessing that via the menus before it freezes, unplug the aerial lead first. After the FTI completes and reboots, plug the aerial lead back in if necessary, and perform a channel scan when it asks. This procedure will reset your box, wipe the timers list, BUT will leave your recording library intact.

If you have not performed a retune in a while, and/or there have been changes at your local transmitter, it is likely there is a corrupt timer and the above procedure should fix this.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom