1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi PMA400E Fan Noise Help Needed

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lammas10, Feb 27, 2005.

1. lammas10

lammas10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ya

Can anyone help me??

I have a Hitachi PMA400E plasma and the fans are way to noisy. I have read a previous post on here and opened up the back of the plasma. I have one of the early models with 2 x fans. I have tried to disable one as per the instructions on Darren Blakes post but as i have the early model i have no dummy plug to plug into the board where i removed the fan plug. What happens when i disconnect one of the fans is the plasma fails to switch on, basically it switched itself off after a second or two. Once i connect both fans again it works.

Has anyone tried the modification on a 2 x fan early model?

Or does anyone know where i can get a dummy plug from? I tried just cutting the unused plug off and plugging that in but it still didnt work.

Help !!!

Many Thanks

Jay

2. jrturbo

jrturbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

You will probably find if you inspect the fans that they have 3 wires on the plug, one of the wires is used to monitor the operation of the fan, rpms, like the ones used on computers. So if no signal is received from the fan quite probably the plasma is programmed to switch itself off to prevent damage by overheating

You could try 2 approaches to the problem in my humble opinion.

1) go to a computer or electronic shop and buy a computer fan speed controller, these plug in line between the fan and the circuitboard and have a reostat which enables you to slow down the fan which will have the effect of reducing the noise.

2 ) Electric cooling fans used in eletronics and computers are available in a number of industry commonly used sizes,80mm being the most common with different qualities and designs and working rpms. You could do some research on the net and purchase a better quality fan with a quieter design of blade which operates at lower rpm and therefore produce less noise. A common solution used in computers is to use a large diameter fan which spins at lower rpm, IE replace a 80mm fan with a 120mm unit but spinning at lower rpm, it would move a similar amount air and therefore provide the necessary cooling but at much lower noise levels, this is the approach I have used to quieten down my computer and it works, If you are competent enough to remove the rear casing of your plasma to gain access to the fans I think you should be quite capable of doing the modification

Either way I would not recommend using your plasma without cooling fans if the manufacturer put them there, the effects of heat build up could cause premature failure of the electronic components, which is the reason why the fans are fitted.

here is a link to a couple of pages to get you started:

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/casefans.php

http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk/

I hope this helps, I am sure you can find quieter fans, you just need to identify what type of fan is fitted and the operating voltage, wether they use 2 , 3 , 4 pin connections.

The same principle could be applied to those person who have noisy fans fitted to media boxes, sky boxes, etc, most manufacturers fit the cheapest fan that fulfils the cooling requirements, not the quietest, and fans are relatively cheap to purchase and dont require rocket science knowledge to replace.

Regards

Joe Rubido

3. lammas10

lammas10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0