1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi PMA400 Vs LG something or other 17 in Richer Sounds

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cerebros, Jun 8, 2003.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Passed through the local Richer Sounds yesterday and had a look at the plasmas on display there.

They'd got 3 42" plasmas lined up on the wall side by side - a Toshiba, the Hitachi PMA400 and an LG model (ending in 17).

Stood watching for a while as they'd got Monsters Inc on, and did the usual trick of trying to count the individual hairs on Sulley while looking at the Hitachi. In comparison, the LG looked terrible. I can only hope someone had been faffing around with the sharpness settings and tunred them down, because in comparison with the Hitachi, it looked very blurry (not quite as bad as the world looks like when i take my glasses off, but close enough). Unfortuantely the Tosh was only displaying the menu, so i couldn't compare them.

To be honest, even if that wasn't quite a representative showing, after that viewing I'd have been buying the Hitachi, if i had £2500 burning a hole in my pocket and wanted a display that big (which to be honest, I don't) - regardless of the soft image issue, the colour seemed that little bit better on the Hitachi. (Of course, I'd want to see a proper film image and broadcast TV on the screens first before parting with my hard earned)

2. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The Tosh gets good reviews. As does Pioneer and Panasonic. But they're more expensive than the LG, which gives you flat 42" screen which doesn't take up much space. But, as you see there's much research required before purchasing!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well if i remember what i saw on the RS site yesterday, the Tosh was only £200 more than the LG, and the Hitachi was the same price as the LG