1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi Platara 42PD5300 WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Yorkieblade, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys , I have still not yet decided which plasma yet, but went round to my mates and looked at his Hitachi Platara 42PD5300 wow!!

What a great picture and such a neat frame such a bright feel to it!!! also showed his pc via 1024 x 1024 pixel HD wow!!! excellent graphics

All connections wrapped up in an easy little box of tricks too including freeview.

Totally blown away against everything I have seen up to date .

Does anyone own one of these what do people think????

Yorkie

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've got one and had its predecessor the 42PD3000. Properly setup and calibrated, the picture quality can be fantastic when fed with a quality source. I got an Arcam DV79 sending a PAL progressive signal through component and it looks amazing.

The media box makes it nice and easy to connect and, particularly for the wife, it handles the auto switching between inputs so she doesn't have to worry about selecting an AV input when she switches the Sky box on.

I've run my PC through it a few times at 800*600 and the picture is rock solid (albeit stretched slightly horizontally).

Do I think it's the best plasma you can buy - No. If I was in the market for a plasma now would I buy it - probably not, I'd probably go for a Pioneer MXE.

Do I have any regrets about getting one - not at all and it'll keep me perfectly happy until hi-def broadcasts become available at which point I'll get a new plasma.

John

3. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for quick input John, yes I like the idea of the media box so that I can auto switch between inputs.
    Was just blown away with the picture quality, I have sat in front of panny's and this just seems a level above for my eyes anyway , some expert will tell me why its not I spose lol!!
    Was thinking upgrading my amp to the 250 quid Denon AVR-1705 which could also be used as a switcher yes???

Am I right in saying John that this plasma is not HDTV ready? even though you get 1024 x 1024? high definition resolution not the same yes???
    Have you used the DVI input for DVD?

How much is the best offer for this screen at the moment if anyone knows please?
    Once again thanks John
    Yorkie

4. mjbarnard

mjbarnard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picked one up for 2180 at KAMLA Electronics in Tottenham Court Road a week ago. They delivered the same day!

5. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for post MJ - Have you got it fixed up yet??
    If so would like to hear what you think .
    This is the best price I see so far, please let me know otherwise if anyone see's a better one:-

www.electrosaver.co.uk/product.asp?id=42pd5300

Yorkie

6. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I bought one from JL a few months ago. Well chuffed with it in every respect.

7. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    When I originally got the 42PD3000, the picture quality was, to my eyes, at least as good as the Panny (5 series at the time) even if the blacks weren't as good. Up against the current crop of Panny's, I not so sure anymore although I do prefer Pioneer over Panny.

The 5300 isn't hi-def ready, the 5200 which is the same panel but without the media box is. Having said that, I've played some 720p and 1080i clips from my PC connected by the VGA port and they looked stunning.

I haven't used the DVI input for the DVI and, the problem is that you can't as the media box is connected to the DVI port on the panel so there's no free DVI input at all - component is the best connection option for DVD. Another bone of contention here is that, as the Hitachi uses an ALIS panel and is, inherantly, an interlaced panel, using progressive scan shouldn't be of any benefit I have to say that I think it looks better than non progressive.

I've attached a pic of mine on the wall:

HTH

John

Attached Files:

8. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John some more good info , Your screen looks really nice , did you plan to omit the speakers?
    have you got it through a 5:1 amp the sound that is?

Blu Ray did you get a price match deal from JL???
    How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? AS I have a JL in Sheffield.

Regards
    Yorkie

9. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi Yorkie,

The plan was never to use the speakers as both myself and the wife much prefer the look of the panel without them. Sound is via an Arcam AVR300 :D which sounds amazing.

John

10. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice John , are the speakers easily detachable?

John, sorry to be a pain , I might buy a Denon AVR-1705 - 250 quid(which has 2 x optical in + 1 coax in, + 3 component in + 1 component out, 3 x s-video in etc, but no scart)

Bearing in mind I would like to connect :-
    SKY
    DVD - prog scan
    PC
    PS2 or xbox
    AMP (Denon as above)

Would you use amp as the switcher or the nice little multimedia box of tricks that comes with 42PD5300 ????

sorry for being a pain but you seem to know alot more than I do lol (not hard) and you have been succesful with this set.
    Regards
    Yorkie

11. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    It's even easier than having to remove them, the speakers come in a seperate box so if you don't want to use them, leave them in the box.

You could use the Denon to do the switching although you'd need connect Sky to it via SVideo (or get a JS RGB -> Component converter) and get a component cable for the XBOX/PS2. You'd then run a component cable from the Denon to the AV4 input on the media box - the only problem with the AV4 input is that the panel won't (at least as far as I've been able to manage) automatically switch to the input if it's switched on, it only does this with the scart inputs. You can, however, map a number button on the remote to the AV input so you can get straight to AV4 rather than having to cycle through the inputs.

The Arcam will also do switching but I'm not using this facility, at the moment, I've got my kit connected as follows to the inputs on the media box:

AV1 - not used
    AV2 - Sky+ (RGB Scart)
    AV3 - XBOX (RGB Scart)
    AV4 - Arcam DV79 (Component)
    VGA - PC
    Front - Linksys Media Adapter to stream music from PC upstairs (SVideo)

The Sky+, XBOX and DVD player are connected by optical and co-ax to the Arcam and the media adapter is connected via phono.

HTH

John

12. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John, solid info there again mate thank you.
    whats the sound from your pc soundcard like through your arcam ? which sound card did u use?

I suppose doing it this way:-
    AV1 - not used
    AV2 - Sky+ (RGB Scart)
    AV3 - XBOX (RGB Scart)
    AV4 - Arcam DV79 (Component)
    VGA - PC
    Your media box does all the work/switching like you said earlier?

Nice touch on the "Front - Linksys Media Adapter to stream music from PC upstairs (SVideo)@ by the way

Thanks again
    Yorkie

13. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I use the media box as a switcher and I'm not convinced that investing in all the additional cables etc. to use the Arcam as a switcher would be worth it.

Sound from the PC upstairs via the media adapter is suprisingly good. All my CD's are ripped at 192Kpbs and, certainly for having music on at a party or as background music it's more than good enough. For serious listening, I use the DV79.

Just a thought though, if you do decide to use the Denon to do the switching, you won't need the media box in which case you can go for the 5200 and just run a component cable from the Denon direct to the panel.

John

14. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry John I misunderstood the last post, your pc isnt connected to your amp via an optical input from the pc's soundcard.!!

Well what a mass of info there for me to get my teeth into,thank you again, going back to my 1st post I was genuinely blown away with the picture quality .

Is the sound good that comes from the x - box is it 5:1??

Yeah I see your point about the 5200 but does the media box come with a freeview option also?

Yorkie

15. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    The sound from the XBOX is DD5.1 on those games that support it. The likes of Halo is fantastic as you hear voices and explosions all around you. :) When I use the laptop with the PC, I'll sometimes connect the soundcard from that to the amp with a phone socket and the sound is OK.

The media box I've got is from my old 42PD3000 and is analogue only (no freeview) and, as far as I know, the 5300 has exactly the same box so, unless Hitachi have upgraded it, you'd still need a seperate Freeview box.

I can understand what you mean about the picture quality as it still brings a smile to my face. ALIS panels do tend to get a bit of flack on the forums but, setup properly will give the majority, IMHO, of panels a run for their money.

If you get one, I don't for one second think you'll regret it.

If there's anything else you need to know, I'm more than happy to try to help out.

John

16. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John , its been a pleasure mate thank you once again.
    The wife is happy now with the idea, she has even agreed to lose the fire and fire surround so we can get our new (not yet delivered ) leather suite in the prime viewing position. lol!!

while Im on viewing position , I presume ideally the screen needs to be wall mounted at around eye level when you are seated??

The reason I have changed the fire to get the suite opposite the plasma is that the wall that the plasma is going on is a studded plaster board wall,so easy to run cables behind !! I presume a standard bracket will suffice , no need for tilt jobby?

I will keep my original beech eltax 5:1 speakers for now , but am looking to upgrade those later.
    I will take some before and after digi pics and post them .

Yorkie

17. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Mines a standard flat bracket and the bottom of the panel is 38" above the ground so it's a bit higher than eye level when seated.

Our sofa is around 9-10ft away from the screen and the height is perfect, no chance of a sore neck!!

Look forward to seeing the pics.

John

18. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone else have Hitachi Platara 42pd5300???
    would like to know what you think??

Heard too much about Panny all the time!!!

IMHO the differance from my eyes was vast ALIS panel or whatever it was better . Whether it was a setup thing , dunno .

19. Sicilian

Sicilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've had one for about 6 months, purchased from www.flatdeal.com
    excellent service & great price. Even got 1 interest free. :)

Picture quality is fantastic, I even compared to plasmas that cost more than double. None of those had any better picture quality. Only draw back imo is that is has not got a digital tuner in the media box.

20. El_MUERkO

El_MUERkO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I was seriously tempted by the 5200 but posts on this forum about ALIS screens have made me unsure.

I'd be very interested in any tests you've done with HD signals.

21. zoom

zoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 32" PD5300. Cracking picture quality even on analogue, DVD is fantastic, watching the fight scenes in Kill Bill is awesome. On analogue I get slight solarisation every once in a while on a close up pan shot of a face, but it is not frequent enough to bother me. I dont get any motion blur or fuzziness and watching football is very good. I also love the look of the Hitachi. If I were you I'd go for the 5200 if you are concerned about HDTV and DVI.
    Do go and check out PW6/7s before you buy as the PQ on that is pretty awesome as well. You might be able to squeeze a tiny bit more out of the others?? But you can't go wrong with the Hitachi, especially for the price.

22. macrosii

macrosii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have just got a Hitachi 425300 and a generiac wall mount by Ray Dynamics. For those of you that have wall mounted could you tell me where the mounting points are on the back of the panel. Is it the four recessed point with the arrows or the larger bolts next to them. Also the mounting kit has nylon spacers ranging from 15mm to 60mm (no instuctions) any advice on which to use.

thanks.

23. flukeyjazz

flukeyjazz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Macrosii
    Hi Macrosii,
    Just wall mounted the Hitachi 42PD5200 with a universal wall mount. Under no circumstances use any recessed screws with arrows pointing at them, these are used to secure the back panel to the screen, and have no load bearing capability. As you have said, the four mounting bolts are not recessed. Not sure about the thickness of the nylon spacers, but they are necessary to isolate the panel from the wall mount.
    Regards
    flukeyjazz

24. macrosii

macrosii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Flukejazz.

Thats what I thought but IO rang Hitachi in the UK and they said it was the recessed ones, admittedly the guy didnt seem too confident with his answere.

25. soderman

soderman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I have the 42pd5300. I've talked to some people at electronic stores and they say that as long as you have high resolution you will be able to receive HD broadcasts. And 1024x1024 resolution is plenty to do just that. There's no DVI input but there are converters that you can plug into the VGA port and get a digital signal; www.pacificcable.com click on DVI and converters. Still you don't need the DVI to watch HD broadcasts in the future from a regular digital box, it will automatically become HD when the channels send in HD, you just need the high resolution as I mentioned. So it is HD-ready but not for DVD players.

26. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I have a 5300 and it is a fantastic picture. My wife wanted to get rid of the mass of wires which sat behind our 28" Tosh widescreen, and with the AV box I've been able to do that. The loss of the DVI connector is a small price to pay for that in my opinion, as it will be possible to feed HD into the XGA/VGA input, as the previous poster suggested.